“Below average, wouldn't return!”
Review of Fownes Hotel

Fownes Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Durham, United Kingdom
“Below average, wouldn't return!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for Cheltenham races. A very average independent hotel in need of up grade. Firstly at £95 this hotel is overpriced to say the least. Rooms are very average compared with a chain hotel like premier inn there is no comparison. Room very dated and worn out, shower very poor, room was seriously hot and stuffy and had no control over the heating. For access to the Internet it was £5 for 24hours, at£95 a room I would have expected this to be free. At check out a £3.95 charge was placed for payment with a credit card! Not very business friendly. The bar had no atmosphere and compared to and old people's rest home, drinks well over priced but at this point couldn't really expect anything else. Plenty of negatives. On the positive side, breakfast was good and hot, parking was free (wow wee) and the location was good for Worcester town centre. To summarise below average hotel, if the price reflected this I would say average but not at this price, I would expect more!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed at the fownes hotel on 15th March for one night. Was pleasantly surprised after reading reviews. Great location only 10 minutes walk from main shopping area with plenty of places to eat and drink. The hotel is a lovely old building and we found our room (109) to be very comfortable and clean. The room was nice and warm on a cold night with plenty of hot water and clean towels. The breakfast was good with plenty of choice of cereals, juice and obviously the full English breakfast. Would definitely recommend and we would stay there again.
Mike from Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Mike-Adams1969
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Looking at the web sight I was impressed by what I saw. The hotel looked quite the part for a nice stay in worcester. Upon arrival I was asked to provide a card for verification purposes. I explained that the hotel had been booked via work on their card and that I wasn't expecting to purchase anything extra during my 3 night stay (breakfast was included) The receptionist then proceeded to say she still required my card. I again said no as I didn't want the bill charged to me. Eventually the manager came over and said it was ok he trusted me, I said it wasn't a case of trust but a fact they had my works card details.

I was directed to my room which was dated to say the least and quite cool. The radiator was on so I assumed it would warm up. I went out to meet colleagues leaving the room to heat up. I returned and went to bed, I immediately though this is going to be a cold night. I ended up wearing my t shirt, jumper and Gillette I was freezing. The night was long and cold. The next morning I noticed a few spots on my legs and assumed it was however unusual just a normal spot (even though I never got them let alone on my legs).
I went for breakfast at 7:30 to find a buffet style breakfast ... No problem except the tables were set out in circles so I would have been facing other people no matter where I sat. The room was full of business men and so I decided not to bother.

I mentioned the spots to a college who said she wasn't surprised the hotel was 'know for having FLEAS'!!!!!!!! I immediately rang reception explained why I needed my bedding changed and the room hoovering. To my surprise NO apology and not a hint of oh my goodness FLEAS!!!!! The second night was equally as cold (room 206) and so I spent another night fully clothed. The next day I asked for a heater, it almost felt that I was lying as I had to emphasis my point and say several times I was freezing... Again no real concern shown by the staff!!!!!! Eventually I got a small heater and I actually had a better night. Check out came I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay ..... I said no and expanded ... Again no recompense offered and not even an apology ......

Room Tip: Don't bother unless desperate
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Sazz07

Travelers are raving about these Worcester hotels

Saltash, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Enjoyed a second visit to this historic hotel. Stayed in a suite which was very clean and cosy.
A special thank you to the chefs who served me delicious gluten free food all weekend. The restaurant staff were a joy, nothing too much trouble.
I just love this hotel.

Room Tip: We have stayed in a double room and a suite. Both were large but homely. Remember this is a hotel th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
bedworth
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We booked a one night stay with Groupon and thought fot £39 bed and breakfast it was good value. We didn't pay for car parking, it was free, had a quiet room over looking the courtyard, good central location, even managed the 5 minute walk into the town centre in heels it was that easy! Staff very friendly and helpful even though they were thin on the ground, it was a quiet Thursday evening though.Plus sides for room: plenty of space, good sized bed, possibly kingsized, clean towels and linen, everything in working order and room seemed clean enough, very very dated hairdryer on the wall in the bathroom not quite sure how anyone could actually dry their hair with it! Kettle wasn't the best but it boiled water. Overall...
Decor of room and hotel in need of some TLC
Bathroom very tired looking
I wasnt impressed with the buffet breakfast myself; eggs rubbery and had to ask for fresh,food had obviously been sitting for a while.Although I left my breakfast my boyfriend ate his and thought it ok, guess sometimes its just down to personal choice. Breakfast staff were polite enough.
If we had paid the full rate for this hotel we would have been thoroughly disappointed but for what we paid we couldn't complain. Lots of very good eating and drinking places with good meal deals ( we chose to eat out rather than the hotel restaurant as we prefer to do this so can't comment on the hotel restaurant. We had a couple of drinks in a bar called The conservatory, very nice, serves food till 3pm everyday and althogh we didn't eat there food looked lovely. Also recommend a pub called The Port Talbot, again nice food, good meal deals, nice atomsphere. Evening meal was at a chinese restaurant called Chung Ying Garden thoroughly recommend this place!

1 Thank donna b
West Mids
Reviewed March 1, 2013

After the other reviews I was a bit nervous. I was using a groupon voucher which was a gift from a friend. We were given a room on the first floor in the middle overlooking the courtyard. Very clean, comfortable and warm room. No complaints. Breakfast was plentiful, lots of choice. Yes the furnishings are tired and well worn, but I like shabby chic, and you get what you pay for at the end of the day. I feel that as the tea/coffee/biscuits and toiletries mentioned by others are complimentary we should not moan about them really. The staff were very friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: Front room face dual carriageway
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed one night a gift from a relative. Room clean,though we were on the front and the secondary double glazing did not block out the traffic noise. Had a good meal in the restaurant though lacked any atmosphere. Breakfast buffet was poor,lack of staff and those that were on duty spent time laying tabels not clearing them and failed to replenish food. The £5 carpark charges for 24hrs are excesive, we wont be returning.

Room Tip: Aviod rooms that face on to front of hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worcester
Worcester Whitehouse Hotel
Bank House Hotel, Spa & Golf, BW Premier Collection
Stanbrook Abbey Hotel
Stanbrook Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Callow End

Been to Fownes Hotel? Share your experiences!