“nice place in a lovely city”
Review of Fownes Hotel

Fownes Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“nice place in a lovely city”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was a little apprehensive after reading some other visitors reviews, however I had a really pleasant time, the room was nice with everything in it that we required. It was quiet, although we were at the front of the hotel and the decor was absolutely fine and clean. It was made clear to me that there is a charge for car parking, which I somewhat object to, perhaps I am just a bit mean!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank msbeattie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Sheffield
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The times I have had to stay in this place either due to absolute necessity, lack of a single other hotel room in Worcester or in the vain hope the pig-headed management might have taken some of the waves of criticism on board I have found it to be a catchpenny establishment, always seeking to charge for any possible 'extra' (such as the 'luxury' of paying by credit card) or springing unwelcome surprises on the guests (I know of at least two guests who were clamped while staying in the much vaunted 'free well located car park'). The rooms are far past their sell by date (and that sell by date was 1978). Pretty much any hotel you don't die in (and this is by no means a given at The Fownes) is decent value on a Groupon voucher. So being good value on a Groupon deal is nothing whatsoever special and certainly not enough, in itself, to merit a 4 star review (or for goodness sake 5.... where are the people evaluating this place as five stars comparing it to???? A squat in Manchester???). Also please be aware that the fact the place is quite close to the centre of Worcester means that it is getting 4 and 5 stars for 'location' which skews the poor standard of the actual accommodation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank weeesel

Travelers are raving about these Worcester hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed one night B&B in the quiet period between Xmas and New Year, using a Groupon voucher. Location is very close to the city centre - literally a couple of minutes walk to the main shopping/restaurant streets. Parking was £5 for 24 hours. The style of the hotel is quite "traditional", with patterned carpets & stripy wallpaper. I think this always seems a bit "tired", but it makes a change from the low-cost chain hotels. We had a room at the back of the hotel which was very quiet. The bedroom and bathroom were quite large, clean, and in good condition - everything worked as it should. The buffet breakfast was excellent, and the staff were helpful & friendly.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are the back - away from the busy City Walls Road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TWinster13
Lancashire
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Booked with a KGB voucher for one night DB&B and paid for a additional night.
We were allocated a room on the front corner of the hotel overlooking the city centre dual carriageway. The room had wooden sash windows which we struggled to close and even when they were closed the road noise was really loud. The room was clean but the bathroom was dated.
The hotel is a few minutes walk from the centre and we spent the first evening out.
When we returned there was still a lot of road noise and I couldn't sleep. My husband who is a really good sleeper was woken a few times due to the noise and vibration of the wagons.
I asked if we could move room for the second night and this was accommodated without hesitation.
The breakfast was buffet style and was good.
We moved to a room at the rear of the hotel which was spotlessly clean.
We dined that evening and the meal was okay but the dessert we chose was sticky toffee pudding which came without custard or cream.
We had a really good nights sleep in the second room.
On checking out I was charged for someone elses bar bill but this was refunded straight away as on leaving the restaurant I was asked to sign for my drinks bill.
The staff were really helpful and friendly, parking was free and it is in a great location for the city centre.
It was good value for the price of the voucher but I wouldn't pay full price for the evening meal.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SRFLancashire
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed for one night at this hotel, drawn by the unusual architecture and it's convenient location. The double room was a good size but the interior felt tired, with dull brown scratched furniture and a general air of neglect. The mattress was was past its best, and felt saggy and unsupportive. There was no central ceiling light in the room, just bedside lights and a standard reading lamp. That also contributed to the feeling of gloom. The bathroom was depressing, with mould on the silicone sealant and grotty grouting on the tiles. There was no heating in the bathroom and the hairdryer didn't work - these are fundamental faults, in my view. The lino was cracked, and the handle in the bath had been fitted using ordinary steel screws which has become rusty. By way of toiletries, there were two tubes of indeterminate gel, where the decription of the contents was indecipherable. I decided that the green stuff was probably shampoo and the blue stuff shower gel, but they were both fairtly cheap and nasty.

That's the bad news. The good news is that the staff that I met were friendly, helpful and efficient, and the breakfast staff were particularly cheerful. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I have experienced, with good quality bacon and freshly fried eggs. The only negative here was the croissant, which was particularly unpleasant.

Another good point was the car park which was easily found and spacious.

There was a gym but I didn't have the time to try this

Overall, disappointing but I think the positive attitude of the staff compensated for some of the other defects.

1 Thank 1nv1ctaH0g
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times now. Always go back a second time unless the first time is appalling. Well the first time was poor(ish) so I decided to try it one more time and it scraped up to average. The rooms are very very tired. I'm very much of the school that a hotel room is where you sleep and nothing more, but this place needs some serious refreshing in my opinion to bring it up to the standards of other hotels in Worcester.

The price for what you get is extremely high, with the only plus points I can give being the friendly staff (some not all) and the free car parking, which is a godsend in Worcester.

Room Tip: Cross your fingers and hope for the best!
2 Thank TheEggChaser
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel double booked the room I had booked which I understand can happen. They rang to tell me at lunch time on the day I had booked for but I was of course out of the office working away (hence booking the room). I was greeted with no apology and a tone which suggested I had inconvenienced them by the night porter.They booked me into another hotel in Droitwich. They gave me no map just verbal instructions of how to get there which at 11pm and a 12 hour shift, I unsurprisingly couldn't find. When I asked for a refund this was refused and still no apology has been offered. They have said they will upgrade us next time we stay - why would I want to stay in this hotel?! In addition to this the Manager has ignored my email of complaint. Poor customer service was maybe a bit generous!

4 Thank SFTE