Henwick House Bed & Breakfast
  • Breakfast included
Fownes Hotel(Worcester)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewscallow endb bthe main housepatio roomnearest publarge gardenfull length mirrorbed and breakfastlovely weekendbreakfast was deliciousroom keyweekend breakplenty of hot waterdouble roomtea coffeelovely roomwould stay again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We had a warm welcome on arrival on 30th May 2013, owners could not be more helpful. However, thing drastically changed for breakfast. My mother and partner were both served mouldy bread with their breakfast. The bread what changed and was abruptly told that this is now fresh bread. It was bread that had been taken from the freezer and microwaved to thaw. Due to the debacle with breakfast my partner's breakfast was late, she is diabetic which caused her sugars to be out all day and we had a wedding to attend that day and my partner was not well due to poor service. When myself and partner and parents arrived back from the wedding, my dad parked in an available space (after being told on arrival to park anywhere). Myself and partner were rudely awoken by female owner asking if the car was ours, I said it was my dad's, so she went to wake them. She proceeded to wake my dad asking him to move the car (this is at about 11pm). My dad agreed to move car and got dressed. Whilst walking out to the car my dad asked the owner why he needed to move as had be told to park anywhere, the female owner did not respond but a load of abuse was shouted from a balcony by the male owner shouting "[--] guests think they own the [--] place". My dad is 78 years young and disabled, this affected him so he did not sleep all night, and we all left early in the morning whilst being blanked by the owners without breakfast (not that we would want to try that again). Such a lovely place a real shame about the owners, not suited to this trade. Don't go unless you like off food and to be shouted at for no reason!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank mark1910
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as we were going to the beef expo 2013 at Malvern show ground. What an exquisite place. We had the superior log cabin in the garden, it was spotlessly clean & very, very comfortable. We loved that it was so quiet. The other 2 people had 2 single rooms in the house & their opinion was the same as ours. Breakfast was very filling & very tasty. Our hosts were very friendly & hospitable. Ideal location if you are visiting the show ground. The pub in the village is very good, with great food & a lovely landlady (Sue). Would thoroghly recommend & will be definately coming back.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Nixnsteve
Reviewed May 20, 2013

A little off the beaten track just outside Worcester at the start of Callow End, but quite easy to find, just be aware there is no signpost marking the property, just a discreet brown sign with B&B written on it hidden behind lots of greenery. The lady of the house is a female 'Basil Fawlty, in the making, but her husband does make up for her dour character with a friendly smile and a great breakfast, very attentive gentleman. Rooms are clean and well equipped with TV, complimentary tea and coffee. Yes she has put lots of 'DO NOT' signs up and manages the parking with an Iron fist, but I can not really say it bothered us, after all we can't all be happy, some of us have B&B's to run after all! Would stay here again and whilst not the cheapest not bad for the price. Cybil, Cybil.... Where zee bill? :))

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrJohn001
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I can't quite put my finger on what was wrong here for me.

The room was in a log cabin in the garden, had I been alone, which I frequently am, I would have felt uncomfortable staying there. The room was clean, the tea and coffee making facilities had an excellent choice, there was a fridge in the room, there was a sofa to relax on. The bed wasn't terribly comfortable, the bedding was not of particularly good quality and the shower room was tiny though adequate.

The room was littered with notices saying "don't do this and don't do that", breakfast - which was excellent and cooked to order - was only available from 7.30 to 8.30; it kind of left me feeling that this doesn't really fit with my idea of "hospitality business" and that I was a necessary inconvenience.

I thought it was expensive for what was on offer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank awayagainDevon
Reviewed May 12, 2013

On arrival at this expensive B&B, £89 for the room + B/Fast (I've booked 4* hotels for less) at just after 8pm,( check in was given as between 4pm -10pm) there was no one about to check us in and no signs inside the lobby to direct us as what to do. I resorted to phoning the hotel whilst stood inside its lobby. Some 5 mins later a lady who introduced herself with the words "I'm Dawn you'll have to put up with me" , no welcome, no smile, it seemed we were interrupting what else she had to do and then proceeded to take us back out of the lobby and outside around the back of the house to a built on extension. The room tho' finished to a good standard of décor was "Tiny" with a capital "T". On entering thro' the front door of the room into a small porch in which there was a tall wardrobe, my wife had barely stepped into the room when she was told rather gruffly to be polite, "to close the front door" as this Dawn lady wanted to keep the heat into the room . The main body of the room measured barely 10' x 10' in which a double bed two side tables and two chairs filled the room. On the window side of the bed there was barely 12" between the bed and the wall making turning round virtually impossible. The on-suite in the room measured 8' x 2'.6" and with a shower, toilet and small washing basin there was barely room to move inn it without keeping the door open. The bed was hard and lumpy and had seen better days. Breakfast was good and well cooked. All in all without knowing what the other rooms were like altho' a number of them seemed to consist of wood cabins in an extensive back garden, I would not recommend either the room 3 to anyone who is not nimble and or athletic or this establishment as being good value for money or being made to feel welcome. I wonder why people like this woman who clearly don't like other people go into this sort of business ?

Room Tip: avoid room 3 and the wood cabins in the back garden
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple