“absolutely lovely” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 31 Worcester B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“absolutely lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

An incredibly relaxing and welcoming stay. Dawn took our call very late at night and was able to accommodate us for two nights. We stayed in a beautiful wooden lodge - not large, but warm, very clean and cosy. En suite shower/bathroom. She was also extremely helpful in all regards. Lovely property in the countryside.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank hallidayhall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Calhoun, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

When my husband and I stayed at Hewick House, we had a beautiful ensuite double room. We liked the peace and quiet. I've read the negative review about the owners/hosts, but personally, I like the fact that they are not intrusive. We were left alone, and I like that. I didn't find them unhelpful, but I didn't need anything either, which speaks to how nice the accommodation is.

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank Diane H
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Have just stayed 2 nights. Had read other reviews but cannot fault this B&B. Was welcomed by the extremely friendly owner..Dawn. She showed us to our lovely patio room. She gave us a brief about the area which was very useful. The gardens, which we had full use of, had amazing views with plenty of seating areas to enjoy them.Breakfast was delicious and plentiful with great coffee. We will certainly return as we loved Henwick House and the welcome.

Room Tip: Patio room had views of the lovely garden and was very private.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank janron8
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

At short notice I had to travel to Worcester to visit a sick relative with my daughter and father. I checked out some names of B and Bs close by and saw this one. Booked it. This morning my daughter ( aged 5 ) saw her grandad on the corridoor and said ' boo' . innocent enough. I then heard what can only be described as hysteria, the female owner stating 'children arent allowed, children arent allowed, has she been here all night?' Yes I sad, in bed asleep next to me. @ she shouldnt be here, disturbing other guests etc etc. I expalined, the only perosn disturbing others was her. After breakfast I spoke to the owner and asked, why there were signs in rooms saying childrne needed to be superivsed, she said that they were old signs. She also stated the website was very clear. Well Im afraid ive chekced their official website , where it describes a 'warm welcome??' and also this sitehttp://www.bedandbreakfast.com/england-worcester-henwick-house.html?gclid=CI3ByMW6lLICFYcPfAod30IADg - which allows you to book childrne in and talks baout children being wlecome ,although adults preferred! Whilst I will abide by rules and conventions, to be spoken yo in such a manner of hysteria which actually frightened my daughter, is not acceptable. She was so upset at not being welcome she couldnt physically eat her breakfast and I must say it left me on tenterhooks hoping she wouldnt speak. We have stopped all over hte world in some of the most fantastic hotels and B & Bs, never have I felt so unwelcome and treated so badly. So if you are a family, this is not the place for you!

Room Tip: Do not consider, if its family
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank HelenC164
Bristol UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

To start on a positive note the house is clean, well furnished and the decor is fresh and smart. Our bathroom was equipped with a double-size shower as well as a bath and the water was hot and copious in quantity. I would point out though that for the elderly, portly, infirm or possibly all three the size and central position of the bath mixer tap makes getting in and out potentially hazardous.The breakfast was substantial and well presented and parking was plentiful. The house is tucked away from the road so took some finding even with a satnav.
Unfortunately and on the negative side the owners do not seem to have mastered the art of sincere hospitality. From the outset Dawn met my comment that we had had an arduous 3 hour journey with a dismissive "That's nothing, my husband's just driven to Newcastle!" In our room we found signs warning us of instant eviction should we transgress any of the house rules which included talking on the phone after 10.30pm for more than a few minutes or making having the tv volume higher than a whisper. Soiling linen or breaking anything would also incur severe penalty. It seemed that they were trying to pre-empt the guest from hell by treating everyone as if they had the potential to be one! There was also a sign warning us not to bring in food but clearly stating that the fridge was available for wine or soft drinks. Unfortunately the only fridge was locked away in the breakfast room and when I dared place a bottle in it I was given a severe reprimand in true Basil Fawlty style for having breached the health&safety rules! I don't appreciate being talked to in this manner and it completely tainted our day.
In summary, they have got many things right but a visit to charm school is definitely required for both of the owners.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Daisydumps
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

An appealing welcome was the starting point. Couldn't find the B&B because it is off a lane and female owner on the phone just could not be bothered, in fact we were the bother. We were told that the road was 2 1/2 miles long, too hard. No suggestions for points of references or anything else. The tone bordered on a telling off, even though there is no signpost for Henwick House; there is a small B&B sign but non locals would not know that. We had just driven all the way from Bath and were sternly told that the check in was at 4pm, they were still doing the domestics. When I said that my husband was arriving from a long haul flight from Australia, then train from London, it was clear that no assistance was forthcoming. We eventually found the place and found it totally empty, no domestics were being done, it was 1pm; we would have arrived with my husband at about 2.30pm, so had to kill 1 1/2hrs. When we found the place, she was on premises across the road, saw us; she looked at us but at that point we did not know that the premises were connected.
The lodgings are good but be aware that house picture on website is not necessarily where you will stay. We were in a bungallow which was well appointed, bathroom was tiny.
Overall, it is unfortunate about her attitude, she is obviously over it all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sprosser
Mid Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

...the attitude of the landlady (?) was quite negative. She was quite abrupt and negative about everything, didn't strike me as very professional/welcoming. It made us feel we were bothering her, to be honest. We were in one of the garden rooms which was very nice - good layout but slightly compact shower room. Also, the walls and ceiling were all pine, which some people might not like! It was spotless though and we had a good night's sleep even though the bed was two singles zipped to each other and we couldn't really sleep in the middle. It was in a really nice part of the countryside and the grounds also looked very well looked after. The cooked breakfast was huge and very delicious. It was good value for money, however the attitude we came across on arrival really did affect our enjoyment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank MidWalesSiani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worcester
The Crown
Diglis House Hotel
#5 of 12 in Worcester
Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel
Bank House Hotel, Spa & Golf, BW Premier Collection

Been to Henwick House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!