“Quality and value”

and 1 more site!
Henwick House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 27 Worcester B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This beautifully set B+B with views both to the Malvern Hills and the city of Worcester offers qulaity comparable with that of many 'luxury' hotels that cost three times the price. The log cabins - properly named lodges - are intriguingly different but also very comfortable and well appointed, and warm even one one of the coldest nights of the year so far.
The breakfast is excellent, the hosts will suply one with recommendations for places to have dinner (and anything else one wishes to know about the area) - and I find the description of their characteristics in a couple of reviews here well nigh unbelievable.
Overall henwick House is an individual one-off, but in very positive ways, and I would certainly be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank robert w

Reviewed September 25, 2011

Beds- very clean, fresh, comfortable for a good nights sleep.
Breakfast- nicely presented and good ingredients
Henwick House thus does well on our key criteria for a good B&B.

We were in one of 4 "log cabin" rooms outside the main house- not what we expected, but actually fine as rooms were clean, comfortable and well appointed. En-suite slighly on the small side.
Rooms equipped with fridge and microwave- as an extra welcoming touch, we would have liked to have had a small jug of fresh milk provided as standard, ratter than UHT.
To be even pickier, would have preferred the knotty pine walls and ceiling to be "knocked back" by over-painting.
Hosts were welcoming and looked after a good number of guests simultaneously. Deserves your business, as a good B&B. Would stay again if in area overnight.

Room Tip: If you want a good view of Malvern Hills, ask to be in main house, rather than a log cabin
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I have stayed here often midweek as I travel to the area for work. All the rooms I have stayed in have been very comfortable wih excellent cleanliness. The breakfast is first class and sets me up for the whole day, and I find the oweners very friendly.

As a city resident I particularly like that this is located in a village in the country which has a couple of nice pubs to walk to.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I booked this B&B via Laterooms in May 2011 for a stay in late July. Within 48 hours of booking, I received an email from Laterooms stating (politely) that the B&B was full, despite it showing availability when I booked. This was a shame and actually cost me £30 because I then had to book into a more expensive hotel for the same weekend. But that's no big drama.

In the week following my stay in Ludlow, I received a call from the owner (John) of Henwick House stating that I had not arrived for my stay and they would be charging me the full amount. I was initially surprised and stated that I had received the email from Laterooms. John denied that they were full and asked me for a copy and - as what now turns out to be a huge error! - on searching my email folders, I realised I had deleted it. We tried to retrieve it via our IT company at work but it was too long ago and a chat with Laterooms revealed they don't keep copies either.

We called the owner back and agreed a compromise and said we would pay 65% of the bill - he claimed to have lost out, and so had we, but this seemed a fair resolution...if somewhat skewed in their favour. I gave my card details for payment. A few days later, John called to state that my card was "not a swipe card"...even though it is and I'd just used it to book Eurostar tickets and a lovely, top-quality hotel in Bruges (Grand Hotel Casselbergh if you're interested - I'll be doing a great review on that in coming days!!). I explained that I would try and make a direct payment from my bank if I got a chance before leaving. It happens that I didn't but just TWO DAYS later, a debt collector turned up at my home whilst I was away demanding full payment!

In any kind of scenario, I strongly feel that 2 days is insufficient time to have a debt collector arrive at your home. Moreso when we had been co-operative and openly communicative even though we felt slightly wronged.

This review is primarily to ensure that people are aware of this in case they too are told the B&B is full or decide themselves to cancel. Please beware of the completely over-the-top actions of the owner, who aggressively told my wife he has a background in the debt-collection/judiciary industry and obviously isn't afraid to take advantage of it!

I obviously cannot comment on the accommodation other than to back up the review of Moomey about the actual personalities running this business.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
11  Thank Birchover
BestBandBWorcester, Owner at Henwick House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2011

Birchover did not receive any cancellation notice from either Laterooms or Henwick House.
Birchover booked his accommodation, did not turn up and clearly did not wish to pay for it.
Birchover supplied debit/credit card details on 2 occasions neither of which would authorise for payment.
Birchover were supplied our bank details and still did not pay for the room.
My son called at the address supplied by Birchover at the time of booking when on business in Derby and they subsequently, reluctantly paid.

Reviewed August 24, 2011

2 colleagues and I needed a place to stay near Worcester, and with the nearby chain hotels full dribbled on this.

In stark contrast to the 1 bad experience a customer had on arrival I had a very warm and helpful welcome at 8.30 pm.

Rooms were small but v clean and had everything you need (except shower gel & shampoo....?!)

The real star turn was the breakfast in the conservatory, very generous and worth taking your time over, followed by extra tea and coffee served up for us on the terrace with a view that was just so beautiful I'll be sending them the panaromic I took!

For a 1 night stay and pre-business meeting prep this was a real surprise, so glad the premier inn was full...

And if anything I'd say they could charge more!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Don't be put off by the exterior of the rooms (they all look like a cross between a sauna and a Centre Parcs chalet). Inside everything is clean, practical and welcoming. Good breakfast in the main house. Good pub walking distance but take a torch for nighttime visits. Only negative I can think of is difficult to find (google earth is too far west) and the longish drive to the place is very rough on tyres and suspension.

• Stayed: August 2011
BestBandBWorcester, Owner at Henwick House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Thank you for the review but it seems a little misleading. We offer 10 Bedrooms, 6 in the Period Victorian House and 4 large bedrooms in 2 Lodges, all finished to a very high standard, double glazed, centrally heated, all en-suite with power showers.
We are on an unadopted road that is about 100 metres long and enhances our tranquil surroundings.
We are glad that we scored so well given the wording of the review.

Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed overnight to break up the long journey from Northumberland to Cornwall as we had with us our Border Collie.
We were in one of the lodges which was spotlessly clean, fridge and microwave, TV with Freeview and a DVD player, kettle, tea coffee etc.
We were able to park right outside our lodge which was reassuring as we had with us our roofbox containing our belongings for the next two weeks in Devon and Cornwall.
The view is fantastic and the surrounding area perfect for Molly our dog.
Whilst we only stayed for one night this was the perfect way to kick start our holiday with a great nights sleep in a “very” comfortable bed and then next morning we were met by an amazing freshly cooked breakfast.
Our host could not have been friendlier and we were especially thankful for the tip to ignore our sat nav and instead take the opposite route which was far quicker on our onward journey to Cornwall.
They were extremely dog friendly but then again we don’t allow our dog to run riot. Unfortunately not all dog owners take the same view which ultimately spoils things for the rest of us as this only serves to reduce the opportunity of staying in such wonderful places as the Henwick House.

From first hand experience we can't understand criticism re attitude of the owner. This certainly doesn't appear to be a recurring trait in other reviews either.
Maybe that's why no one speaks out these days. As a child I would have been reminded of my manners where as today your likely to be given a tongue lashing by the parent if another adult attempts to correct them.
Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family