“Clean but basic”
Review of Severn View Hotel

Severn View Hotel
Ranked #23 of 27 Worcester B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Ali the proprietor was very friendly. Rooms clean if a little dated but it is an old building. Breakfast was good and your choices were brought to the table. Ideally situated for the city centre. Within walking distance of the cathedral. Close to the cricket ground.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I booked the Severn View because I used to live in Worcester and it was always quite smart and up market. What a disappointment. I arrived at the B and B and went to the bar to be told by a man with bad manners that the hotel was through there with just a pointing hand. I waited at reception for 10 minutes before someone bothered to turn up. I was shown to my room which looked as if it had not been decorated for years, it was shabby and although the bedding was clean it had marks on it (show polish I think). It was very noisy as the room did not have double glazing. The breakfast was OK but no enough and took and age to arrive as the cook seemed to be only able to cope with one order at a time. I had to leave early on my final day and there were no facilities for early checkout so I just left the keys at reception. I stayed at the B and B on my own, but I know if my wife had have been with me we would have turned around and walked out

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Anthony C
Reviewed August 30, 2013

we were concerned after booking our stay and reading the reviews of this hotel but it was not that bad, friendly staff, clean rooms, good breakfast and a great view ok the wallpaper was very dated and it needed a lick of paint it needs a good makeover but then it would not be as cheap. For a cheap base in Worcester this is idealy situated, (you get what you pay for) personaly I had no problems with this hotel and found the staff very acomodating and friendly thank you.
ps we had the family room top corner overlooking the severn.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have just returned home following a stay at the Severn View Hotel after being booked in for a week by my employers, and was somewhat shocked to be honest. The reception had an overhead light flickering which would most likely induce an epileptic fit, and the man behind the desk asked to me to sign a document saying the room was fit for purpose before I saw it. If you stay here, and I hope you don't as this man does not deserve any more money for what he provides, DO NOT SIGN THIS FORM. I went up to my room, which was dingy and dirty with peeling wallpaper, so small that if I stood in the middle and pointed both arms out at shoulder height I could touch both walls, and the window was not lockable.

Ah, the window. Not only was it not secure, and overlooking an area which would be easily accessible from street level, but when it rained later that evening water began rushing through the frame, soaking the floor as the guttering outside has apparently been broken for months. When I spoke with the owner (somewhat angry I'll admit) about this, he suggested that I go out for a while until it dried out and then come back. It was only when I insisted that I wouldn't sleep in the room that he moved me to another, which turned out to have a leak in the roof.

I spoke to him again the next morning as I couldn't reach him the night before, and he said I had to leave that room anyway as it was booked for that evening. He then moved me to another room (my third in 12 hours) where I was greeted by a dirty pair of women's underwear in the middle of the bathroom floor.

The breakfast area consists of 2 booths and a small table in a fenced off area of the bar downstairs (it should be noted that the bar has nothing to do with the hotel, and this review is not a reflection of it, whereas the obvious disdain the owners of Vue Bar have for the operator of the hotel speaks volumes). Like most things, the breakfast is a bit of a shambles. I was brought a bottle of room temperature milk which was just left at my table, and bowl of cereal. A full English breakfast was on offer, and as I didn't opt for it, I can't honestly describe it, but the other guests were leaving at least half of theirs.

This is a very reasonably priced hotel, and the owner is pleasant enough, but he isn't very good at listening to what you have to say, and the hotel itself needs repairing and redecorating from top to bottom. It is a dump. Pay the extra, and stay in one of the other hotels in the centre of Worcester such as Ye Olde Talbot, Fownes, even the Travelodge attached to the shopping centre as they are all preferable choices.

I cannot stress this enough. There are lots of choices for a central hotel in Worcester. Do not give this hotel any money. It is a hole, a cesspit if you like, and does not deserve any business. I am now off for a shower.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank JMDeMatteis187069
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Sourced via third party website. Staff - helpful. Stayed in family room (only room available) which although clean, resembled a student's room in a shared house prior to students arrival - no pictures on wall, wallpaper peeling, no bedside lights, no light shade on bathroom light. Tired condition. Breakfast was minimal - instant coffee! Air con unit blasting out in dining area. In terms of today's standards for en-suite accommodation at the rate charged, poor experience, poor value - would not recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DAL683
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The staff, though friendly did not make up for the differences between the website and the actual place.

The pictures must have been taken when the place was new as the wallpaper was peeling off at the seams. The shower had no pressure - I spent my wash time with my face pushed intothe corner so I could rinse my hair. Fortunately, the mirror had a light over it as the bathroom light was unusable. The extractor fan comes on with the bathroom light and it was clearly hitting the cover as the noise was awful. The main bathroom light fitting was missing revealing the bulb in a unit with no cover - not sure on safety of this in a bathroom.

None of the three windows of the main room were lockable, although we were on the second floor so break ins were unlikely. A broken pane in one window and a seal missing from another making room a little draughty.

The wi-fi which should have been available in the rooms had no signal strenth and could not be used from the second floor - it was good in the bar area though.

Breakfast was reasonable with great tasting bacon but toast was cold - almost as cold as the servings of butter which we had difficulty spreading on it.

A good location near the centre of town which was a little noisey from the main road just outside. Parking was good - once again just outside for £6 for 24hrs.

Room Tip: A room at the rear of the property away from the main road - it overlooks the car park area too.