“Nice B&B but not a great experience”

Treherne House & The Malvern Retreat
Ranked #4 of 33 Great Malvern B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My partner and i visited the Treherne House recently and after reading all the lovely reviews my expectations where set very high.

First impressions, nice place, good location, parking.

Good points:
In addition to the first impressions, we where happy with our room as it was very clean, we liked the fact we were not hounded with questions regarding our visit, we were just shown our room and that was that. I also liked that there was a nice pub within a few minutes walk.

Not so good points:
On arrival, we were advised that we had been 'upgraded' to 'the best room'. While this sounded good we had actually paid for the best room!
Although the room was very clean and looked fantastic, the bed was extremely hard and not comfortable at all.
As part of having the best room we got the roll top bath. While this was great to see at first however when we came to use the bath we realised our room had not been replenished with bath stuff to put in! I got around this by using shower gel (which I to out into a cup first as it does not come off the wall). Not quite the best start!
On the advert we where supposed to get fluffy white gowns - there was none.
After faffing around with the bath and looking for fluffy gowns as promised, all we wanted to do was get to sleep (understandable after a 4 hour drive that day).... Getting past the bed being really hard, we could not relax as all we could hear was the TV blasting from the room under us (owners office) and extremely loud laughing. In the end I had to get changed and go and ask them to politely keep the noise down!! (Although they did, I shouldn't have had to ask!)
Final point to make was the stairs near us leading to a final floor or a loft?!. Not sure if this belongs to the owners but all we heard was up down up down up down all night.

Breakfast was nice but it did feel awkward after the nights antics before and although they apologised, it did put a downer on the stay as all we wanted to do was chill out.

When we left there was no 'hope you enjoyed your stay' etc... Which would have been nice but after the evening we had we were not that bothered and just wanted to leave.

Not worth the money I paid and I 1) have been put off B&Bs in general and 2) will not be returning.

The owners seemed liked nice people and you can see they try hard. Unfortunately I am not one of those who had a nice visit. I do feel I overpaid, didn't get any good sleep or felt relaxed when I left.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachael M
sodie69, Owner at Treherne House & The Malvern Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Treherne House. First of all, thank you so much for your compliments on our beautiful Elgar Room, it is our best room and we are glad you liked it and felt it was lovely and clean, we have been awarded 100% on cleanliness with Visit Britain and are very proud of this accolade and put so much effort into maintaining excellent cleanliness standards. May I apologise profusely for the robes and bubble bath not being in your room, this an unfortunate oversight and I can only say sorry. I do all the housemaid duties at Treherne House as I like to be in control of the cleaning, laundry and high standard of the rooms, I only wish you had mentioned this on Saturday evening and I would have been able to recify the situation. I was suprised to hear you found the bed hard as we have high quality semi-othopedic matresses with a mattress topper for comfort. Everyone is different on the comfort of mattresses, it's sometimes difficult to suit everyone in every way. I am sorry for our TV being too loud, this is unacceptable but as it was 8.30pm on a Saturday evening we didn't think there was anyone in the Bed & Breakfast and we were only watching Ant & Dec, it obviously made us laugh a bit too much! Please accept our apologies. Finally when you were checked in to your room there was a slight misunderstanding as you had paid the Superior Room price but were staying in the Luxury Room. You did indeed get a £20 discount on your booking. It's shame to hear you won't return as we have no chance to change your mind on Bed & Breakfasts but hope you enjoyed the Tractor Show at the Three Counties Showground.

If we can be totally honest sometimes the pressure of having been voted the Best B&B in Worcestershire can be overbearing as peoples expectations can be sky high. We are a husband and wife team who love operating this Bed & Breakfast and sometimes we don't get it 100% right.

Best Wishes,

Alexandra Soden

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent three days in Malvern and stayed at Treherne House on an offer for returning guests. Our room was the beautiful and spacious Elgar Room. Mark & Alex are very welcoming and the perfect hosts who go out of their way to make guest feel welcome and at home.
The breakfast is indeed award winning as advertised.
We would highly recommend this place to anyone wanting something really special.

• Stayed: February 2013
sodie69, Owner at Treherne House & The Malvern Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Many thanks for your positive review, we appreciate that in these busy times it's difficult to find a few minutes to post your thoughts. You were a lovely couple and we hope to see you again in the future. Mark & Al

Reviewed February 5, 2013

To call Trehere House a simple B&B is a diservice, I've stayed in 4 star hotels that could certainly learn a thing or two from Mark & Alex.

From the moment my wife & I arrived we were made to feel welcome, little things like being offered a fresh pot of coffee in the lounge once you'd unpacked is a touch many places wouldn't offer & it's these touches that make Treherne Hose stand out, you are made to feel you are sharing a home & not just a guest.

The house itself is beautifully decorated, & absolutly spotless, as with a few others on here I had chosen the Elgar room, even after seeing the pictures on the website so I knew what we'd be getting still exceeded my expectations.

Decor in the room & quality of the furnishing is on par with many so called 4 & 5 star hotels, & the bathroom is an absolute star of the room. Big roll top bath which you could swim in !
The bed is extremely comfortable, & very good quality bedding added to the good nights sleep.

Breakfast, was fantastic, the dining room overlooks the garden & even on a cold February morning it still looked good. Birds flying everywhere & even a couple of squirrels.
Highlight of breakfast for me was the homemade marmalade, & the fresh free range eggs, although the bacon & sasuage were a very close second!

I wouldn't hesitate on recomending anyone to stay, & we will definitely be back for another visit.

Room Tip: We had the Elgar room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
sodie69, Manager at Treherne House & The Malvern Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review, Mark & I are so delighted with your kind comments. We sincerely hope to see you at Treherne House again and next time let us treat you to a glass of wine, on the house! Kind Regards & thank you.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Mark and Alex could not had done enough to make our stay any better. We had the Elgar room and it was great; can really recommend it.
It was a 0 birthday for my husband (too many to sayon here!) and the couple who own this went the extra mile in arranging a really good wine in the room for us to share. And with them being licenced it meant should you want a tipple of spirit it was there to buy.
We felt very welcomed by them both and coco of course. the breakfasts were delicious and the list of eating establishments was good; although we only ate for the 2 nights at the local pub getting the discount allowed. hubby had a morgan car for the day as well and this was discussed in detail the next morning between him and Mark.
Many thanks both and coco for a lovely quiet relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Although we didnt see the other 3 rooms, the Elgar is the one we would stay in again.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bernvines
sodie69, Owner at Treherne House & The Malvern Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Many thanks for your review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed the Elgar Room and your stay in The Malverns. You mention the local pub and we are finding that more and more of our guests are taking advantage of the 20& discount offer at The Bluebell. The reports back have been excellent, it is a Marstons Pub that has been transformed under the new management team. the fact that you ate there twice says it all really!
You were a delight to look after and we hope to see you back in the future, many thanks for choosing Treherne House for your stay.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We keep returning to Treherne House, and have recommended it to friends and family who have also become repeat visitors. Mark and Alex have the knack of making everyone feel welcomed as personal friends whilst providing a discreet and professional service of the highest standard. For luxurious relaxation in beautiful surroundings, Treherne House can't be bettered - and don't even get me started about the breakfasts !!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank SBnbw
sodie69, Owner at Treherne House & The Malvern Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

What a lovely review, thankyou for taking the time out to write this. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at Treherne House on the 24/25 of December as I was visiting family in the area. This was recommended to me by friends and after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, can only agree on the great service and room standard. Alex & Mark were wonderfully hospitable during our stay are were very attentive to our needs. My wife & I loved the French themed decor and it feels much more upmarket then the price dictates.the breakfast was smashing. I would have no qualms about either booking another stay or recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Try Elgar its worth it!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for the lovely review. This was the first time we had decided to open for Christmas and we really enjoyed having you around during the festive period. It's often difficult for familes locally to accommodate many guests over Christmas and it was nice that you had the opportunity to see your relatives without imposing on them too much.
We would be delighted to see you again next year as we have decided that we will open over this period in 2013. Kind Regards. Mark, Alex and Coco.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is the first time that I have felt the need to reveiw anywhere I have stayed but Alex and Mark's hospitality and beatiful home deserve to be recognised. We stayed for two nights and had the most lovely time....the service was excellent, breakfast was delicious and the rooms were stunning. We would highly recommend a stay as it's a truely incredible place and we will definitely be returning soon. Thank you again, we are already looking forward to our next visit to Treherne House.

Room Tip: The Elgar room has a roll top bath with beautiful rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

What a great review, thankyou for taking the time out to write this. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay Hannah, it was a pleasure looking after you both. We will be running the 3-night offer in Jan & Feb, it was very succesful this year and it could be something we look at for Nov & Dec 2013, we'll let you know via email. Thanks again. Mark, Al & Coco.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Malvern
#9 of 10 in Great Malvern
Copper Beech House
Copper Beech House
#2 of 33 in Great Malvern

Been to Treherne House & The Malvern Retreat? Share your experiences!