“Short break”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Great Malvern
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We have stayed before and find it very convenient for the theatre, walking on the hills, racing at Worcester and visiting friends and family in Ledbury. Our visit this time was for an inbetween holidays break!!!!!!!! combined with racing. Our room was at the top of the hotel with super views although the windows were small. The bathroom was well equipped and everywhere was spotless. The only negative was that the duvet was too small for the double bed with no overhang at the sides. Staff were helpful and pleasant. Safe car park. An enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2014

Dear Susan W,

Thank you for your review and for highlighting many of the positives of Malvern and, of course, The Abbey. I’m delighted you chose us for a short break in between holidays!

We benefit from such a wonderful location, ideal for exploring Hereford and Worcester. Also, just around the corner is Malvern Theatres, and our “Theatre Break” is a superb opportunity to enjoy a fantastic production and the comforts of the hotel.

Your comment about the duvet on the bed has been discussed with and addressed by my Head Housekeeper.

I hope you’ll stay with us again when visiting local friends and family or when attending Worcester Races.

Duncan Grey

Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Stayed here for the weekend, with friends. I booked an executive room, which had the biggest bed I've ever seen! It had 3 pairs of pillows lined up in a row at the head it was so big! It was comfy too. Lovely room, in the new part of the building, which I was fine with. Had tea and coffee facilities which always pleases me. And although the bathroom isn't that modern, it was still clean and well looked after. I had a nice surprise too after stepping out of the bath to find that the towel rail was on - can't beat a lovely heated towel.
Breakfast, although busy due to wedding season, was a good decent selection.
Wifi all over the hotel was a winner.
Very little I could fault this hotel in fact. Staff were friendly and polite, and everywhere was clean. Oh, and another nice thing about this hotel is that it was very dog friendly.
Location was fantastic. Right in the centre of town. Don't forget to visit the Abbey behind if you're a history fan. I had hope to go to the museum next door, but it was closed when I went.
I'd definitely stay again at this hotel, if I return to Malvern.

Room Tip: 216 is a great room in the new part
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2014

Dear Alexandra C P,

Thank you for lovely review of the Abbey Hotel. I am pleased you were happy with your room and the large comfy bed.

We regularly review our breakfast offering to help ensure we continue to meet our guests’ expectations so we are all very pleased you found a good selection.

I am delighted you would choose to stay with us again if you returned to Malvern. The museum next door is well worth a visit and we can confirm opening times at the time of booking.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and found almost everything faultless. Breakfast was excellent, some tables with views looking out on the Abbey. Small details such as bed a bit too soft and better choice of real ale beers in the bar. Staff very helpful, would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of staying in this lovely town, the location is superb.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel with views of the downs

Dear Alan C,

Thank you for your great review of the Abbey Hotel.

We are all pleased you found almost everything faultless and I will ensure our team here see your kind comments.

We hope you return soon, and in the meantime we will continue to work on the small details.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

stayed here for one night on a meal deal offer, our room with its huge bathroom was lovely, with excellent views, clean and well presented, comfortable bed, we did not have any problem with TV reception . The staff although busy were quick, friendly, pleasant and helpful. Our meal in the restaurant was excellent as was the service. Breakfast buffet had plenty of variety hot or cold and of a good standard. It is in a lovely place in the centre of town which was lovely for an evening stroll after dinner. Can't wait to return.

Dear 473annie,

Thank you for your great review of the Abbey Hotel. I am pleased you found your room lovely with excellent views and the bed comfortable.

Our Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager are both delighted you found the food and service in the restaurant excellent.

I am pleased you can’t wait to return; Malvern is an interesting town, and our location within the town centre and so close to the hills does make us ideal for exploring the local area.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

We stayed here on Friday evening in August because it was central, very close to the theatres, and handy for the priory and shops. Malvern is an attractive spot and worth a visit.

The hotel has a substantial annex for wedding parties. Whilst this generally doesn't affect the main hotel, the noise from the disco is considerable. We were given a room about 3 floors above the venue and the noise went on until about 1:30 or 2:00. To be honest if you stayed in another hotel close by you would probably have been disurbed by the noise. Guests were already starting to arrive for Saturday's event when we checked out.

The room we had was clean and comfortable and a pretty good size, with a good sized bathroom. The hotel is attractive from the outside, and old fashioned but attractive inside, but some aspects disappointed, with a serve yourself breakfast buffet, and the ubiquitous toast assembly line queue, more to be expected in a budget chain. I realise this is increasingly common in hotels, but in a 4 star hotel?, (remember there is only one more star to be a 5 star!). Cannot comment on service when only contact was a waiter bringing a jug of coffee.
The bar lounge areas had very yound children running around late at night (11-12). This wouldn't be allowed in a pub or restaurant, why was this acceptable?

I would stay just a little further away ( a few hundred yards walk and there are other B&Bs), where I am sure you could get more personal service. There is alternative accommodation a short drive away. I would not stay here again unless I was a guest at one of their weddings!

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding on, and if there is ask to not be above the wedding annex. If they can'...
1  Thank Steve M

Dear Steve M,

Thank you for your comprehensive review, and I am sorry that your stay was below your expectations.

We do have a large ballroom which is used for weddings and other functions such as gala dinners, dance breaks and meetings. When we have functions in this room, the bedrooms above are occupied by those attending the event below in order reduce the disturbance to other guests. I am very sorry that in your case it appears you were allocated a bedroom over the function room.

We have a noise limiter that will cut off the electrical supply to equipment used by a band or a disco if the music exceeds a pre-set level. And we do ensure that all music stops by 1am at the latest.

It is not acceptable that you were disturbed by the music and by the children running around in the bar. We should have been able to control both. I will ensure we put measures in place to prevent this happening in the future.

We regularly review our breakfast offering and are always grateful for positive or negative feedback. I believe that our current offering of a hot and cold buffet is the best way for us to meet our guests’ expectations; a good breakfast served in a timely way and at a time which is convenient for them. We should have offered you the choice of serving yourself or assisting you, and if we did not then I am sorry for our lapse.

I would like to assure you we take guest feedback very seriously, as it helps us improve our service and meet our guests’ expectations. Evidently, your experience was below our standards and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss some of the points you raised in more detail. My contact address is dgrey@sarova.com.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

After reading quite a number of negative reviews, I was very apprehensive after my booking, (perhaps should read reviews first ! ) I need not have worried, the hotel was first class and in a magnificent setting, The room was immaculate with an adjoining bathroom big enough to hold a party ! Over all a very pleasant 3 night stay and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

Dear Stuart S,

I was so pleased to read your review describing The Abbey as “first class” and our location in Malvern as “magnificent”.

My team really appreciates such positive comments particularly when they always strive to exceed the expectations of our guests.

I do hope you’ll stay with us at The Abbey again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

2nd year here for Malvern cricket festival and the hotel was even better than last year staff are great and so was our room
I love the views and the position to the town with shops and restaurants and pubs is very convenient parking can be a bit tricky if the hotel is busy, we also used the gym and pool up the road just had to ask reception

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Bluejay06

Dear Bluejay06,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your second visit to The Abbey and that you felt we had, in fact, improved from last year; this really is what we hope to achieve.

We have a big car park located at the side of the hotel, which, I agree, can be a little tricky at times. We usually advise our guests to check-in first and then park their car. I do apologise if you had difficulty parking your car during your stay.

Our location in Malvern is so convenient and provides a great opportunity to explore the local shops; and the views from the hotel are just stunning.

I hope you’ll stay with us for next year’s Malvern Cricket Festival, if not before!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Malvern
Colwall Park - Hotel, Bar & Restaurant
Malvern Hills Hotel
Malvern Hills Hotel
#9 of 10 in Great Malvern

Been to The Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!