“Nice hotel but letdown by some small things”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Great Malvern
Folkestone, England, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but letdown by some small things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The room were spacious (superior) and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times. We had a wonderful 3 course meal on our first evening which was excellent!

However, it would have made the evening a lot better if the Formica table had been covered by a tablecloth and we had been served real coffee instead of instant. We also had what tasted like instant coffee for breakfast - we ended up going over to 'Mac and Jac's Cafe' just on the other side of the archway which served excellent coffee.

We will probably still go again to this hotel, but hopefully attention will be made to the small details so that the stay will be even more enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Larry H

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit to The Abbey.

Our restaurant has been refurbished in a contemporary style and I appreciate this does meet everyone’s expectations. I would like to reassure you that the coffee we serve in the hotel is Douwe Egberts and is brewed freshly during breakfast and dinner service.

I do hope you’ll visit us again in the future.

Duncan Grey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

A lovely hotel with some amazing views. The hotel has character which is lovely to see and it is certainly not a carbon copy of so many of the modern hotels. The bedrooms are spacious although the bathroom was a little narrow but that is to be expected in such an old building. Breakfast was good although the choice could be expanded on for a 4 star hotel. I ate one meal in the bar which was very good, I ate once in the dining room which was a carvery dinner and that was disappointing although the dinner I then had at a private function in the hotel was excellent. I will certainly return to this hotel if I am back in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear ellen_walker

Thank you for your recent review of The Abbey.

I am delighted that you found the hotel to be full of character and you were able to take advantage of the fabulous views.

Our chefs have worked hard to improve our food product, so I am sorry you were a little disappointed with the carvery dinner, but pleased you enjoyed the meal served at the function you attended.

I do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future.

Knutsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Read several comments about the Abbey before we went on a U3A walking holiday. Some positive, some negative. Well, we had a totally positive time at The Abbey. The staff were excellent, from the hard working waiters and waitresses to the reception ladies and chamber staff. So many hotels don't see to value their staff, well the Abbey certainly seems to.
We stayed five nights, eating in each evening. The meals were all buffet style, but there is a restaurant offering a la carte. If you're looking for gourmet food, then you won't find it here but you do get good quality food (apart from the duck which was inedible! one evening). The food was, on the whole though, good with vegetarian and fish options to meat.
My room overlooked the gardens at the front, right next to the Abbey Gateway whilst one of my friends had fabulous views across the Vale of Evesham on the other side of the hotel. And the Abbey is right next door to Malvern Priory (peregrine falcons there), and once through the gateway you are right in the centre of the town. So, if you're looking for value for money, a friendly welcoming hotel with good food, walking distance to the excellent Malvern Theatre, good secure car park, then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Both sides of the hotel offer good rooms, but if you want a view, ask for the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Highleghlady
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Highleghlady

Thank you for the fantastic headline to your review following your walking holiday in Malvern!

When our guests describe us as “great value and with excellent friendly staff” it is extremely rewarding. My team of staff work in a cheerful and professional manner and I am sure it’s one of the numerous reasons why many guests come back so often.

I agree we are extremely well situated for a walking break and in fact we offer a “Walking in the Malvern Hills” package which includes two nights accommodation, dinner, half a bottle of wine per person on the first night as well as a delicious packed lunch and walking maps of the Malvern Hills.

I’m sure your review will help many others discover Malvern and The Abbey and so thank you, once again.

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have organised our annual weekend for retired colleagues, who live all over the Midlands, at the Abbey Hotel on several occasions. Everyone is always pleased with the excellent hotel and have no hesitation is saying they are happy to come back. It is smart and comfortable.
As the organiser, I'm always given a wonderful room, which I accept not everyone benefits from. It is always immaculate with every amenity one could wish for. There was no noise and a great view.
We had the same pleasant young lady dealing with guests in the restaurant as last time. My soup and chicken main course were satisfactory rather than special. The sweet was excellent. Breakfast was very high quality with a wide range of options and particularly nice selection of fruit. Why every hotel has the toast machine running so fast that you have to put it through twice I don't know. The first time, it comes out white.
When we decide that this is the area we want to come to for our next weekend away, we will be back here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear David R,

Thank you for your positive review and I am so pleased you and your group were “back yet again!”

It’s great to hear you were happy with your bedroom and that you found it clean, comfortable and with a great view; these are certainly some of key aspects of what we have to offer at The Abbey.

I'm sorry dinner was a little disappointing but thankfully you found breakfast to be of an excellent standard despite our toaster!

Best wishes and we hope to welcome you and your group again in the future.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had 2 nights at The Abbey Oct12th - 14th. Beautiful hotel. The food was excellent as was the service. One review mentioned the food being of low quality I totally disagree with that. The breakfast and evening meal was excellent. If I was to moan about anything ( and this is not really a big moan ) it would be the fact that no bottled water was left in the room, especially as the area is famous for its mineral water. The room was lovely the king sized bed extremely comfortable. A hotel I will definately go back to.Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: If you are not so good on your legs a room nearer to reception might be better.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Caroline S,

Thank you for your review and I am delighted you were impressed with The Abbey, which I must agree looks spectacular at this time of year.

I am grateful and pleased you mention that you found both the food and service at breakfast and dinner of an excellent standard and I’ll be sure to pass these comments to my team.

Unfortunately, it’s not our usual practice to provide bottled water in our bedrooms, however, this is available 24/7 from our bar or room service.

I hope that you'll take the opportunity to return to our hotel again soon.

Columbia, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Abbet for 4 nights end of September, they hotel itself is out of a storybook! Beautiful and historic. I had a gorgeous room with windows that offered an amazing view of the Malvern Hills. My room was always kept clean and neat. The service was wonderful. I enjoyed cocktail and dinner at the lounge which offered great food choices and wine choices. The surround areas of the hotel are amazing and easy to get around.
The front desk staff was always so helpful and catered to anything you requested. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Christen J,

Thank you for your fabulous review of The Abbey.

I am so pleased you had such an enjoyable time during your stay with us and you found the facilities, service and hospitality provided by my team exceeded your expectations.

I do hope you’re able to return to The Abbey again soon.

Barrow In Furness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Nice hotel. All the staff I encountered were friendly and courteous. Although the room was small it was O.K. The king size bed afforded a really good night's sleep. Very good location, especially for the theatre. I would certainly return to this hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gerardwarr
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Gerardwarr,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to The Abbey.

I’m so pleased you found the staff to be both friendly and courteous as this can very often make a hotel visit more enjoyable and memorable.

I do hope that you’ll return to the hotel once again and maybe take the opportunity to see one of the excellent productions at Malvern Theatres or visit the local attractions throughout Worcestershire.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Malvern
#1 of 1 in Malvern Wells
Great Malvern Hotel
Great Malvern Hotel
#9 of 10 in Great Malvern

Been to The Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!