“Do not judge this book by its cover”

Great Malvern Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Great Malvern
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The food, staff, beer and free live music (every weekend) make this a great place to go. We live locally and have been to all the pubs/hotels in Great Malvern - the atmosphere here is by far the best for an evening out. We go often but most recently on Burns Night. The Scottish themed menu was imaginative and the food was delicious and beautifully presented. The bar was decorated with the flags of Scotland and a lone piper paid a visit. Its also the place to be to mix with the stars - we always pop in for a drink after our many visits to the theatre and, more often than not, the cast end up in there too! Brilliant place!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Innovative menu, beautifully presented by stylish, quirky proprietor!
We went on 2 days running and found very interesting choices on both days.
Menu offers some standard items, but delivered with an interesting modern twist.
Well-priced and delicious food with well-adequate helpings and excellent service.
(did not stay at the hotel) but would recommend its bar-style restaurant

Room Tip: Choose a nice table near the front window!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ARGENT126
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Booked for one night, nicely located very near to town - few minutes walk.
friendly staff, really nice food. Rooms were nicely priced.
Ive seen the other reviews and well you et what you pay for. i paid under £50 for one night including breakfast. The decor may not be modern but its a place to stay for a night.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night on 18/1/14 with my partner, son and dog! The room was clean - yes a little dated but perfectly adequate, especially for the price we paid. Breakfast was lovely - large choice.
All staff were attentive and let my sin eat a take away pizza after they had stopped serving.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I am sorry to say this but this was the second worst hotel I have ever stayed in - the first being one in France in the late 70's!!!

The room we stayed in was really dirty - the whole place was shabby and really poorly cared for - the room had one light with what seemed like a 40watt light bulb - the curtains were hanging off the rails - the bathroom had a damp patch - it was like staying in a set from a Cold War drama!

We had recently stayed in a small bed and breakfast whose prices were similar but everything about our experience was 100% better.

The staff were not helpful or pleasant - what else can one say!?????

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 1410295GANG
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Arrived late evening on a friday night with a warm welcome. we were offered food which was great being quite late in the evening. the room was lovely with hot drinks available. The owners/managers couldnt have been more helpful letting us know what was going on around town for the weekend. breakfast was good, great selection of hot and cold foods. we stayed in one of the rooms overlooking the road which wasnt too noisy. overall a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Just returned from a 2 day Business stay at this hotel. Arrived late on a Monday evening and my first reaction when entering my room was to sit on the bed with my head in my hands having been thoroughly shocked at how dirty and shabby it looked. I immediately telephoned the Foley Arms (at 11.35pm) to see if they had any rooms. Unfortunately not! The bathroom was very dimly lit, I got my hands dirty by picking up the notice off the bathroom windowsill. The decor of the whole room was 1970's which is okay I just wish it had been cleaned since the 1970's. There were a pair of dirty old socks on the ledge outside my window that must have been there for months and generally the whole room was extremely disappointing.

When getting into bed I pulled the duvet back to find a long black hair in my bed and it honestly looked like someone had slept in it since it was made.

The following morning I realised the shower didn't work, or more accurately there was little or no water pressure to allow a shower to work, plus the bracket holding the shower head was broken so it swivelled around to send the little bit of water sideways. It was barely enough to wet yourself. To top the bathroom off the radiator didn't work so the bathroom was freezing!

I was first into the breakfast room at 7.30 and was met with a very polite good morning and attentive service but then looked down at my table to see the blue runner on top of the white table cloth covered in stains and crumbs.(see photo) Having said that the breakfast was excellent, no complaints!

However, the second morning I asked for bacon and eggs and was served 2 slices of bacon that were burnt to a cinder on the rind. Anyone can burn food but not everyone has to serve it to a paying client afterwards!

There was 6 of us staying there and another colleague was covered in flea bites the following morning.

All in all definitely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, in my life. Which is a real shame because it has great potential but I am sorry there is no excuse for the place not being clean! The decor can be excused, but not the dirt!

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
The Cotford Hotel and l'Amuse Bouche Restaurant
Malvern Hills Hotel
Malvern Hills Hotel
#7 of 10 in Great Malvern

Been to Great Malvern Hotel? Share your experiences!