“Lacked Atmosphere and a bit of TLC”
Review of The Wellington Inn

The Wellington Inn
Ranked #12 of 104 Restaurants in Great Malvern
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tel: 01684 540269
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We called in for lunch on a grey, miserable and far from Spring like day and I recalled it must have been over half a century since my last visit! The food was nice enough. I had the ham, fried egg and chips. If I was being picky, the eggs (either there were two or it was a double yolk) were a tad overcooked and there wasn't a great deal of ham but there was a very nice and substantial green salad to accompany it. My wife enjoyed her fish and chips although there was a great mountain of mushy peas which she couldn't manage much of but we both really enjoyed the excellent chips. Afterwards we could only find room for coffee which came accompanied by the most delicious white and dark chocolates.

The staff were quite friendly but the place seemed to lack atmosphere. To start with it was quite empty apart from another couple but several other people came in afterwards. It still didn't really have a great deal of warmth or the sort of atmosphere that makes a place standout. In parts it was quite scruffy. All of the wall light lamp shades had black and charred burn marks (well overdue for replacement and surely something of a fire hazard?) and the entrance to the restaurant from the car park was so shabby that we even contemplated not going in. Had it not been for the favourable tripadvisor reports we would have certainly looked elsewhere. Perhaps a little more TLC is needed as although the meal was OK, the experience didn't quite measure up to our recent visits elsewhere.

1  Thank demoncodger

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had a delicious meal last night. Five of us all had different things, it all came well presented and piping hot. Friendly staff, good beer, all round enjoyable evening.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great food always visit quite regularly and the menu keeps changing and getting better!
Well worth a visits. Cosy fires friendly relaxed atmosphere not stuffy!!,

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Good friendly pub with a really good range of beer and cider. We had Sunday roast which came with a good selection of veg and the beef was full of flavour. Its just a shame it was cooked all the way through. All the staff were really friendly and only too happy to help.

1  Thank redneil69
goodhew, Owner at The Wellington Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you so much for writing a review and I am glad you enjoyed you meal!! I am assuming you visited the Wellington last Sunday when we had a large christening party in our dining room. Ordinarily we cook the Beef very rare but on this occasion it was cooked more specifically for the party. Please accept my apologies as I should have said how the beef was cooked.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Good quality local ingredients. The staff are ver friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The menu offers good value for money and the dishes are delicious. As a vegetarian I find the dishes at the Wellington are excellent and far above the usual bland fare. I especially like the twice baked cheese souffle, and there is a really good red thai cashew nut curry at the moment.

1  Thank Linda S