“An overnight stay”
Review of The Malvern

The Malvern
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Great Malvern
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We had family business near Malvern, and The Malvern sounded like a good place to overnight, although when we arrived the location - an industrial estate was a little worrying.

The hotel called the day before our departure apologizing for the fact that the outdoor pool jets would not be working, but offered a generous 20% discount on the room. We did the bed, breakfast and dinner offer - up to £25 per person for dinner.

The room was compact, but tastefully done - and, despite looking out onto the flat roof and air conditioning extractors, silent. The only views of the Hills would come from the second floor, south facing rooms.

The pool and the steam rooms were lovely and very relaxing, particularly with a glass of Pinot Grigio. A couple of hen parties, but not rowdy.

Dinner was a disappointment - it sounded great on the menu. My husband's 'parsley crusted mackerel' seemed to have a cardboard sheet on it and my falafel was dry and cool. The wine, a screw top Pinot Merlot, was £32!

After an early morning swim - pool was empty! - breakfast was excellent: generous smoked salmon and poached eggs, and a nicely presented full English.

We would definitely stay again. Reading other reviews, I think I'd go for mid-week, rather
than w/e, just to ensure we avoided the potential of a rowdy hen party.

Room Tip: The only views of the Hills would come from the second floor, south facing rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thank you Kelly for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted you enjoyed all of our facilities and that you will be staying with us again. I appreciate your comments regarding hen parties but must advise we do limit the size of group bookings specifically to ensure other guests are not disturbed.

I am disappointed your did not enjoy your meal in the restaurant. It is most unusual to receive feedback like this and I will ensure the kitchen team are aware of your comments.

Lynsey Kettlewell, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,013)

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I am very lucky to have the privilege to stay at high end hotels/spa 's on a regular basis through work (usually on a long term basis) , I can only heap praise on the facilities, rooms and food, but more importantly on the staff, who as we all know really make the difference (and lets be fair, work very very long hours for comparatively low wages in comparison to the people they serve), but always maintain not only a professional demeanor but take the time to try and chat and make sure their guests feel special, so on that basis , thank you Izzy, Cat and Laura and all the other staff , from reception to the gym and spa that I haven't had the privilege to get to know yet. .
Kind Regards and Thanks
David Wall

Room Tip: Lower floors as the top floors dont always get WFI,also if your like me confirm if your room has a b...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Hi David

Wow- what a fantastic review! Thank you so much for the lovely specific feedback on our staff.

I am very proud of all of the team here at The Malvern and it is great to see them being individually recognised like this.

Our facilities and food are amazing and I am delighted you are able to enjoy this on a regular basis. I very much look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I joined a group of friends for an overnight stay here. It was a Saturday and the Spa was very busy. There were two or three large groups staying.
The pool and surrounding area is lovely though it's a shame the only view from the pool is of a wall. Loungers were unoccupied. but many guests left towels on them whilst spending large amounts of time elsewhere. Consequently none of our group was able to spend time relaxing around the pool. It was also noisy.
The spa lounge area is pleasant but could be even more comfortable of the seating was arranged to accommodate groups. In order to sit and chat, some of us found ourselves perched on a low wall.
The waiting staff seemed to be a bit overwhelmed at times and not all of our orders turned up.
The food in the restaurant was good. Unfortunately there is no comfortable bar area, so if you want to linger you have to stay at your table or return to the spa area.
Some of the group were impressed by their treatments whilst others were just okay.
The noise, sheer number of people and the lack of comfortable seating did not make it a very relaxing experience, though we did have fun.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Thank you for your review and I am pleased you all had a fun time.

Our aim is for you to also have a relaxing break too and I am disappointed you did not experience this.

The weekends can be busier as we have hotel guests, day spa guests as well as members using the facilities. However the number of groups permitted are strictly limited and the spa attendant on duty regularly checks the spa area and the usage of loungers. However, it appears this did not happen on your visit and I can only apologise for this.

I hope you will visit us again when I am sure you will have a more relaxing time.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I used to be a member here, which ended last February 2013 and the first thing I have to say about it, is that if you have the opportunity to join as a monthly member, it is definitely cheaper. You actually pay less on a monthly membership that you would for a spa day. Baring in mind though that the spa day does include treatment. On the other hand as a monthly member you do get a discount on the treatments..

The spa facilities are excellent, the best in Worcestershire I reckon.. I've not found anything better.. Food overpriced though..

The gym is also well equipped. Quite modern. Classes are okay, but not the best.. This is definitely a health club and not a fitness club, keen fitness junkies will know the difference and understand what I mean. Apart from one guy (with a mohawk) (that's if he still works there) the rest of the Gym instructors were useless when I was there. If you want a good fitness program to follow, you're probably better off doing it yourself.. When I wanted my program done it was obvious the girl didn't know what she was doing..(she basically told me to sort my self out and re-book in with the guy)

Negatives: At weekends when people (non members) come on spa days, weekends etc, it can get very very busy, even running out of loungers.. It's actually quite annoying.. I think sometimes they prob let too many people in.. I once witnessed a hen party of about 8 people all sharing 2 loungers between them - How annoying for a hen party..

You can't swim! At the end of the day it is a spa, not a swimming pool.

Best times to go in the spa - Evenings after 730 ish, Saturday and Sunday after 5ish and it starts to get quieter.

All in all - A great place if all you want to do is relax and rejuvenate.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for your lengthy review and feedback..

It is a shame you are no longer a member of the club as I am sure you would see a number of changes have been made in the last year. The gym team has restructured and the class timetable updated. Our aim is to provide a complete fitness environment to suit all.

We are open all week to members, hotel guests and day spa guests. We do actively closely monitor the number of visitors we have booked in at any one time and has also reduced the size of groups permitted to ensure the comfort of everyone in the spa area.

I hope you will visit us again soon and perhaps look to renewing your membership so you can enjoy all of our facilities, including discounts off treatments and meals, any time.

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Don't be put off by the industrial estate location and the lack of view from the rooms .... You'll be spending your time bobbing around between the indoor and outdoor pools .... The only downside and this is not the fault of the hotel but of its clientele .... would be the embarrassing and gauche behaviour of some couples 'petting' in the outdoor pool ....maybe one of those '70s posters would remind people how to behave. It's a shame but maybe people would need reminding in check-in.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there

Thank you for your review and feedback.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and the facilities. A number of our rooms do have views of the Malvern Hills and where possible we will always try and accomodate a move of room when requested.

Although I understand your comments regarding behaviour in the pool, it is very difficult to 'manage' this area 24 hours a day. Although guests are here on a romantic break/day, clearly we do not encourage this behaviour and would hope that most people would control their behaviour when in public.

I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Another birthday treat, this time with the girls, and we had such a good time we want to make it more frequent.

The Spa treatments were gloriously decadent, all the staff were delightful, plenty of different places to relax. When you're running away from it all can you ask for more!

I had let them know about my diet well in advance, but they even made me a Gluten Free Chocolate Torte for my Birthday Cake.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Hi Jill

I am delighted you all had a great time celebrating your Birthday and that we were able to provide ''the icing on the cake''!

We hope to see you again very soon

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Had a top weekend away in Malvern, the hills are fantastic, the town very nice and The Malvern was very good.n The spa facility is superb, loved being able to chill in the outside pool whilst being blasted by bubbles. The steam and sauna rooms were very well presented. Only small gripe would be all the loungers are taken pretty much every time we went in.

The room was a good size but very little storage, no drawers which we found strange.

The staff could not have been better, helpful, friendly and seemingly genuinely interested in you.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Hello Martyn

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am delighted you had a great weekend with us. Our staff our always keen to help and support guests and it is clear you experienced the benefits of this.

Although we do not have drawers in the bedrooms, there is plenty of shelving space inside the wardrobe instead.

I hope you will come back and visit us again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Malvern
5 mi away
Malvern Hills Hotel
Malvern Hills Hotel
#8 of 10 in Great Malvern

Been to The Malvern? Share your experiences!