“The Most Relaxing Spa Hotel Ever”
Review of The Malvern

The Malvern
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Great Malvern
Hereford
“The Most Relaxing Spa Hotel Ever”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Me and the wifey have never visited a UK spa hotel - we've always gone abroad and been pampered over there. I was given a surprise birthday stay here which included a spa treatment, use of the spa facilities, dinner and breakfast, and I can honestly say that this experience is amongst the most relaxing I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

The hotel staff decorated the room with candles just before we arrived and other little goodies were placed around the room. It was a gorgeously presented suite and gave a good insight into the high standards set here.

The full body massge in the Spa was likewise excellent. Service was very friendly and welcoming and the spa treatment was fantastically relaxing. As you'd expect of a top spa, I was given a choice of oils and I struggled to stay awake whilst relaxing on teh heated massage chair/bed.

The evening meal was of wonderful quality and staff service was perfect too. The one area where the hotel could improve is to make the dining / breakfast area a bit more intimate / plush although this is just my opinion.

The bed and pillows were unbelievably comfortable and the next morning we had a lovely breakfast in the restaurant, then went back into the spa area to enjoy the outstanding sauna / steam rooms. The hydrotherapy pool, which is heated and runs from the indoors to the outdoors, is incredible and just has to be experienced.

We loved this spa hotel and will definitely be visiting again. As other reviewers have said, the hotel is on the edge of a trading park BUT this doesn't matter because, as soon as you set foot inside The Malvern, you relax.

Loved it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Hello

Thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted you both had such a wonderful stay with us.

It is clear you experienced the high standards we strive for in all departments and I am so pleased it was such a perfect surprise present for you.

I wish you both a very happy Christmas and look forward to seeing you on your return visit very soon!

Lynsey Kettlewell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was our second visit here, and we were not dissapointed! Yet again an amazing relaxing experience. We came with family, there were 7 of us all together, and every one of us had no complaints. It was to celebrate my 30th Birthday, and the staff were very helpful in the brasserie/restaurant as my husband wanted to decorate the table when we came down and they even brought out my Birthday cake for me and all sang Happy Birthday! The food was so good, definitely worth the money. 3 of us had beauty treatments which were all very good and professionaly done. Thank you to all the staff, especially the restaurant staff for making my Birthday extra special! We will be back for a 3rd visit!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted to learn you all had such a great tine with us and that your Birthday was extra special.

I look forward to welcoming you back for your 3rd visit.

Have a happy Christmas.

Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

An absolutely fantastic spa, despite the location etc, once you get inside its very inviting and relaxing. This is my second visit this year, the first was in July with my mother and my son, the second was in with my husband, and on both occasions we received a wonderful welcome and were shown around the facilities. The gym facilities are adequate, I go to the gym regularly and was quite happy with the wide range of equipment and free weights.

The Spa area has about 3/4 steam rooms and saunas, Even though it can get busy there are more than enough loungers so we didn't have to wait and the staff do make sure people don't "reserve" loungers. Its lovely that drinks can be brought to you at the pool, these little touches do make you feel even more special. The indoor and outdoor spa pools are great, very warm and the jets are amazing. Its more than just a large Jacuzzi!

On our first visit we had lunch in the restaurant, this was ok, second visit included a cream tea...scones were delicious.

First visit we were extremely happy with the treatments, amazing, staff were very professional the the treatments were of a good standard. I have massages regularly so knew what to expect. On my second visit, the staff were really helpful as I wanted to increase my treatment from just a back massage to a fully-body massage. I couldn't have the type of massage/treatment I wanted as there wasn't a specialist therapist available so I had a standard massage. I have to say I was disappointed as the therapist was not as good as the one I had on my first visit, so didn't feel it was worth the extra money.

Overall, on both occasions we really enjoyed our stay, the staff were great and so we've got one more visit planned before the end of this year. The thing we like about The Malvern is, it is a GENUINE spa, and you do feel relaxed and chilled by the time you leave. We've been to spa's that just turned out to be a hotel with a very tired looking swimming pool and standard steam room/sauna. Once you walk through those doors you forget the location.

One suggestion: there should be some kind of time limit on the relaxation beds, after my treatments there were none free and even after waiting for more than 30 minutes none became free.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BlackButterfly777
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is lovely to learn you are a regular visitor to The Malvern.

Your comments and feedback are much appreciated and we will take this on board.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your most recent treatment. It is always advisable, where possible, to prebook specific requirements so that we can ensure we have the correct therapist available for your treatment.

I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

While only wanting an overnight B&B stay for a local function, this was disappointing. On entering you are aware of turnstiles for what must be day members. On checking in the staff were friendly and pleasant. However, on reaching the room we realised we had a disabled room and the bathroom to go with it. Reception were unable to change our room.
I know that hotels need to cater for disabled people, but for us more fortunate this was a let down. The bathroom lighting was poor for anyone, and the basin far too low. Once the shower is used the bathroom is a no go area if you want to keep dry! While the bedroom was okay the wardrobe did not allow for full length hanging.
The bar area was cold and characterless and not a place to relax in.
On the positive side the cooked breakfast was good and the staff charming.
If using the spa facilities then this is probably an okay place but if you want to use as a relaxing Hotel for the night it does feel like a spa with rooms on an industrial estate.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Phillip K
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Hello Phillip

I am sorry to learn you were disappointed with your recent stay at The Malvern.

We will always do our best to swap rooms but if the hotel is full then unfortunately we may not be able to accomodate your request. Usually we advise guests at booking stage and/or at check in the type of room they are in. I am sorry if this did not happen.

As seen in many reviews the hotel is situated on a weekday business park (not an industrial estate). We are a hotel and a day spa as well as offering health club memberships. The turnstiles are for the members and these are off to the side of the reception desk. They do not impact on hotel guests who enter through a different area.

Thank you for your feedback.

Lynsey Kettlwell, General Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

It's all been said everything at the Malvern Spa is truly wonderful, the spa experience is one of the best we have enjoyed. Everything is kept very clean and you feel you can walk bare footed around the area if you want to although non slip footwear is reccommended.
The spa is especially wonderful at night in the dark when the steam blows over the water, truly mysterious and romantic.
The surrounding relaxation ares are quiet and enjoyable and there is a good restaurant area offering a good choice of lunch snacks and drinks. We shared a ploughmans platter, very nice indeed complete with home made bread.

We were informed we could not book in or go into the spa until 3.p.m. unless we paid an additional £25 each and on departure checkout time was 11.00 and if we wanted to use the spa after 11.00 again another £25 each on top of the £300 we had already paid.

We used 'Spa break vouchers' (they were a gift) and paid the rest in cash this included Bed & Breakast, a 50 minute massage and dinner. I think we paid enough for the weekend and were dissapointed that we were asked to pay more it certainly cuts you spa experience down to a few hours. Another couple arrived early to book in and they were advised to go shopping until it was time to check in.
We did pay the extra as this would have spoilt our experience and time in the spa however this does bump up your overall costs.

There were people saving beds for up to two hours without using them, this is a norm!

Dinner and breakfast was very nicely served and the food was very good, no complaints there.

Overall I would reccommend this spa but do allow for the extra costs if you want to make the most of your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Malvern Hills and not the car park
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank forgetmenot328
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you for your review.

It is cleared you experienced all of our facilities and had a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us. I am surprised the pool loungers were occupied for such a long time and sorry if any inconvenience was caused. Our pool attendant usually monitors this area to ensure fairness and consistency for everyone.

As with most other spa/hotels, the facilities are available to use from check in until check out. This is explained on the confirmation/paperwork issued but again I am sorry you were disappointed by this. Our pool area is open from 6.15am until 10pm to allow for maximum use during your stay.

I hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Dawlish, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Great hotel - and fantastic spa! Loved the pool in particular - great selection of different jacuzzi experiences. Multiple sauna and steam rooms - you really are spoilt for choice!
Good sized rooms and very comfy bed. Evening meal and breakfast were good. I will definitely stay again next time I am in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CClacey
Thank you for your review and feedback.

I am delighted you had a great stay with us and we look forward to your return visit when you are next in the area.

UK/Italy
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I visited the spa when opened and it is still as I remembered... Fantastic! In/outside pool, 4 steam/sauna rooms, 4 showers and lovely sitting space. The Gym is great too, more than what you expect for a 4 star hotel. This time I had a back massage which was divine and not too pricey.

Hotel - Nice room but view quite disappointing (roof and industrial estate). Attention to details missing (especially in the bathroom). Breakfast good selection and friendly staff.

If you are planning an action/relax weekend in Malverns from trekking to spa, then I would definitely recommend this hotel, despite being in a not nice location. For a meal must try a lovely pub lunch after a long walk to the hill at the British Camp.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Definitelygio2
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your review and welcome back!

I am delighted you find our facilities fantastic and that you had a great tine with us.

Many of our hotel rooms do have views of the Malvern hills and we will always try and accomodate a change when requested.

I hope you will visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Malvern
#9 of 10 in Great Malvern
Premier Inn Malvern Hotel
Premier Inn Malvern Hotel
#6 of 10 in Great Malvern

Been to The Malvern? Share your experiences!