“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Great Malvern
Bideford, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stay here when away on business in Worcester, The hotel is lovely, rooms are well appointed, beds comfortable and little extras like still & sparkling water, hot chocolate sachets and the lovely toiletries are a nice touch. The spa is wonderful and the whole place is very tranquil. The breakfast is fine, I have not eaten in the evening here. The staff are very friendly, professional and attentive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hi Lynda,

Thank you for your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you get the chance to try out our evening a la carte menu soon.

Lynsey Kettlewell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Hazel Grove, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

The hotel is bizarrely located in the middle of a retail centre that does not give it quite the unique feel you would expect. That said, the facilities are very good and the staff are extremely friendly. The gym is well equipped and the bedrooms are clean and modern, although a little bit on the small side.

Room Tip: Enquire about larger rooms at check-in
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark D
Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your feedback.

We hope to see you again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Overall we had a lovely stay at this relaxing retreat.

As many reviews state the staff here are friendly and professional and can not do enough to help.

The pool / spa area is a wonderful place, beautifully designed and very well kept.

Breakfast was a particular highlight. Service was quick and efficient, the choice in the buffet was limited, but the high quality of the made to order hot food more than made up for it. I had the smoked salmon and scrambled egg and it was divine and it was pleasing to see that they didn't scrimp on the salmon.

Gym is very well equipped and maintained and there is an extensive range of classes which are available free of charge to guests

I had a wonderful treatment with a delightful therapist that topped the whole experience off.

However I could not give 5 out of 5 for the following reasons

-From reading the website I thought this was an over 18's only venue, however on our second day there were primary age children in the grand salon for the whole time we were there [10am-3.45pm], playing on phones, and games consoles, knocking over cups etc. I don't know if I misunderstood the website and only certain parts of the hotel are child free, but do not go to this hotel expecting an adult only environment because you won't find it.

-On our first day we arrived at the pool at 3.10 to find no loungers free, all were draped with towels and robes, despite the fact only a few people appeared to be using the pool. There are signs saying that if you leave your lounger for than 30 mins that your stuff will be taken off. However this is not adhered to. We eventually found one lounger between us and during the 90 mins we were there the lounger next to us wasn't used, but the books and towels were left on it which was very frustrating.

-The decor of the room was fairly uninspiring and I have stayed in more attractive budget hotel rooms. Also, as some of these reviews state, the sound proofing is surprisingly poor for a purpose built hotel, the noise from people walking above, whilst not unbearably, certainly made the experience less relaxing.

Having said all of the above, we will return and this time for two nights and more treatments.

2 Thank SMMtigger
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It’s great to hear you had a relaxing stay with us and that you are planning to return.

I can confirm that we are a strictly adults only venue. Unfortunately there was a one off occasion recently where a guest had brought children into the facility. As soon as this was brought to our attention this matter was resolved as quickly as possible and the guest is now fully aware of our policies. I apologise that this impacted on your time with us.

I am pleased to inform you that we are currently in the process of looking at the design of our hotel rooms and we hope that you will see some changes in the near future when you return.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I decided to take my wife here as a birthday treat. we had previously been to the spa for a day spa but this was our first stay in the hotel. We booked a inclusive package and for our price got a check-in from 3pm, use of the spa facilities until close of day, evening meal (you are allocated a £25 pp credit for eveing meal and any extras or drinks are additional), breakfast and checkout by 11am. Included is a treatment of your choice. We paid £25 extra each in order to use the spa for the following day also (after checking out, put your bags in your car and use as day spa guests - new towels and robes were given).

So, where to start. Booking.... extremely helpful and friendly staff both on telephone and via email. we found that package that suited us and the dates and booked over the phone. we were not asked for a deposit but the cancellation conditions were provided. My first impression of the accomadtion was very good. The qualitiy of the fixtures and fittings and the size of the room were great. All the usual things you would expect from 4* and very comfortable. Bathroom was very clean and well presented and there was lots of hot water for a nice powerful shower.

The spa itself I have reviewed before, brilliant. Very relaxing, wonderful staff and great facilities.

Food: On reading the sample menu in the rom we were a little worried the food would be "too posh" for our liking. It was described as you would expect to find on masterchef... but on arrival at the resturant (booking needed) we were welcomed and seated, the staff were lovely (our waitress, Izzy was very good and friendly indeed) We were made to feel welcome, they were happy to answer any questions about the food and we did not feel out of place. The food was out of this world!!! I really recomend the braised scotch beef, the side dishes are wonderful too and the deserts are a work of art. Do please go and try it, you wont be disappointed! Breakfast also served in the resturant was a buffet style continental with plenty of choice followed by your choice of cooked breakfast. Again very nice indeed. My wife and i agreed, probably one of the best meals we've had and enjoyed the most.

Room Tip: Room 201 had a nice view of the Malvern hills in the background
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hi Mike,

I am so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments in relation to our food and restautant staff, I will share your feedback with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This review is for the spa - I did not stay in the hotel.

I live in Malvern and until now I had no cause to go to The Malvern because, honestly, I'm very unimpressed by the location and always said that if I'd booked to stay there and lived elsewhere I'd be gutted to find that it was on an industrial estate as far away from the hills as it's possible to get in Malvern! Then they had a Groupon offer and I was lured into it by my sister for an afternoon at the spa with one treatment and lunch included, and when she suggested it I was very pregnant and dying for a bit of pampering!

I'm no longer pregnant but I think I'm not even more in need of some pampering! I rang the spa and booked my inclusive treatment and added another one - this was an easy process from looking at what they have on offer on their website.

I was very impressed with the spa from the inside. The pool area is wonderful and actually puts my favourite place Champneys Springs to shame as the whole pool, indoor and out, is pretty much one large spa pool with different jets all around it to try, and believe me, I tried them all. It's a lovely warm temperature to the extent that it was raining outside and I was happily sitting in the outdoor pool enjoying the bubbles. There is plenty of seating although most of it was bagged with towels, we managed to find two together.

Lunch was provided and we had to pick from a reasonable menu selection when we arrived and then went in for lunch at 2pm. I had jacket potato with veg korma and it didn't look like much but it did fill me up. I'd like to try the restaurant one time if I ever get the chance, it looks lovely.

My treatments were wonderful...I feel great now. The treatment rooms were warm and relaxing and the therapist I had was very good.

I'm afraid I can't give this establishment five though and here's why:

In the pool there were a couple of groups of 'youngsters', drinking pints of beer IN THE POOL, being loud and then leaving empty glasses (I hope they were plastic!) around the sides outside. I can't believe that people are allowed to drink in the pool!! It 'lowered the tone' of what would otherwise be a great atmosphere.

Robes and flip-flops are provided, but you have to give the flip-flops back or buy them for £2.50...presumably they then throw them away if you don't buy them? Waste! Also, provided is a towel. ONE measly towel that once you have been in the pool once is soaked through and of no use to dry you off later when you change back into your civvies. When it says towels provided I expected there to be a pile of them like there are at other spas. If I go again I'm taking my own, so fair warning to anyone reading this - take towels.

We were served in the restaurant by a dour miserable bloke. Come on, man - smile!!

The seats in the lounge area are very nice but are material, so thus covered in wet patches from people who have been in the pool. I was guilty of this myself as I thought I'd dried off but apparently not enough. It's not a pleasant thought, sitting in someone else's damp spot!

The location. Malvern is a beautiful town and this is where they put the spa? I'm guessing they put it there because they can hardly build it in the middle of the hills in an area of outstanding natural beauty, but surely it could have been somewhere nicer rather than opposite Festival Housing where people go to present as homeless? True, once you are inside you could be anywhere, and the view from the outdoor pool does just have a little bit of hill in it and if you ignore the traffic noise you could be somewhere else! It's okay for me - I live there - but if you've booked there expecting scenic views you'd be gutted!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hi,

I am delighted to hear that as a local Malvern resident you have had the chance to visit us and were impressed by your experience.

We do offer complimentary use of robes and towels, one of each item is given on arrival, however any extras needed are readily available to our customers on request. I will ensure that we are consistently providing this information on arrival and apologise that you were not made aware of this. I am pleased to inform you that we have purchased new blankets for the grand salon for those who aren’t completely dry from the pool.

Our location is unusual, however the spa was purpose built on this area to have access to a Malvern spring water bore hole. As you have said ‘Once inside you could be anywhere’!

We hope to see you back again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We had a dinner bed and breakfast package and booked a facial and a full body massage each. Arrived at 1pm and had a light lunch in the brasserie. Checked in at 3pm. Lovely executive room. Very comfortable bed. Well stocked tea coffee tray. Products in the bathroom very nice.

We each had a facial at 415 pm then relaxed until 7pm when we changed for dinner. The food was excellent. Tender duck succulent beef. Try the chocolate fondant you won't be disappointed.

After a good nights sleep and delicious breakfast we had our massages. Fantastic relaxing and lovely products. We relaxed with a fruit smoothie after then left for home.

We will be returning and will bring my Mother for her 80th birthday.

Well done to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to your return visit for your mother's special birthday.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Firstly the pool at The Malvern Spa is probably the best spa pool that I've used in the UK. You can swim from inside to outside and there's numerous different water jet areas (i think there were 6 outside and 2 inside). The pool is a really nice temperature and is warm enough to stop you getting cold outdoors. In addition to this there's also a separate area with a number of different hot and cold showers along with saunas and steam rooms. It's all really nice and even though we were there on a Saturday afternoon there was still adequate seating.

You also get access to the gym which has lots of modern machines and free weights. The gym is in really good condition and all of the equipment is new and in working order. I think you also get access to the classes too but we didn't use this facility. The changing rooms at the gym are also nice and contain plenty of lockers along with showers, toilets, hair dryers etc.

In the hotel we had an executive room which was smart and clean. The rooms are adequately sized with tea / coffee making, TV, double bed and ours has a really nice "big head" shower. As many others have highlighted the hotel is on the edge of an industrial estate and this spoils the views a little as you have to look across the factory units to view the Malvern Hills in the distance. Don't let this put you off though, once you're in the spa you can't see any of this.

The hotel / spa reception staff were all friendly and dealt with everyone in a polite and efficient manner.

The only down side for us was the breakfast service which was a bit of a shambles. We had to wait over 20 minutes before anyone came to take our order (the restaurant wasn't particularly busy at the time). At the buffet many of the items had run out - there were no pastries, there were no bowls for the cereals (had to ask for these), had to ask for the orange juice to be refilled, the milk for the cereals had run out and two of the four cereals on offer had also run out. The staff on duty (of which I think there were at least 4) didn't appear to be paying much / enough attention to the customers and the state of the buffet. This I thought was not quite up to the mark for a hotel with a 4 star AA rating. Having said that, when the cooked breakfast arrived it was nicely cooked with high quality ingredients (the smoked salmon was really nice and the local sausage on the full English breakfast was superbly meaty!).

Hopefully they can sort the breakfast staff out and then next time I come back (which I'm sure I will) I'll be able to give The Malvern a five stat review.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I apologise that our breakfast service was not up to its usual standard. Your feedback has been passed onto our Front of House Manager so that the relevant action can be taken to resolve these issues. I am confident that you will see a much improved service on your return.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Malvern
#1 of 1 in Malvern Wells
Premier Inn Malvern Hotel
Premier Inn Malvern Hotel
#4 of 10 in Great Malvern

Been to The Malvern? Share your experiences!