“Terrible food”

Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Terrible food”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

This place makes Fawlty Towers look professional! Disorganised, dirty, poor food, dirty crockery, unprofessional service, wine served at the wrong temperature, really nothing good to say except our fellow guests were very nice and as dismayed as we were about how bad this experience was!

Visited December 2011

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No service whatsoever!”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I booked a table for my girlfriend and I for Valentines day as the location has a gorgeous setting. We were greeted not so much as a hello, but more like a "what do you want"! I explained that I had booked a table for two for 7:30 to be told that I wasn't in the book! The.... person (I would say waiter but that might give the impression of professionalism and/or a hint of service when there was neither) gestured towards the 'Special Valentines menu' which was cleverly disguised as A4 copy paper and said "pick what you want". With raised eyebrows we did just that. I can't decide whether the person was showing off his memory skills or didn't posess the ability to write, but he trusted himself to remember our order without writing anything down! His attention then left us promptly and focused on another couple who were treated in the same bizarre manner. After he had taken their order (which worryingly he did write down!!) I asked him for a drink whilst we wait (as no-one had made any attempt to seat us) We asked for a Drambouie which he decided after 5 mins he didn't have and then had to get assistance because he blatently had never heard of a Pinot Grigiot! After recieving our drinks NOTHING HAPPENED!!! We weren't seated. We weren't told where to go. We weren't told how long to wait. We weren't told anything. We were left to stand there for 40 minutes. We decided that to have recieved NO SERVICE AT ALL we had had enough and left. We asked to pay for the drinks because we were leaving. The person didn't have a price for one of the drinks so they said we could have it on the house but then we had to pay £5 anyway because they couldn't change a £20!!!! They only managed to chage a £20 because another customer had a £5 on him!!!

***POOR POOR POOR***

Do these people know they're in a SERVICE industry???

1 Thank Jon B
Evesham Worcestershire
“Disaster New Years Eve Dinner Dance”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Hotel apparently booked 90 covers into a 45 seater restaurant on new years eve!! First sitting 7.30 - 9.30 x 45 people then second sitting 9.30 - 11.30 x 45 only trouble is first sitting didn't know they had to exit their tables by 9.30 to enable the next lot of people to eat, we were stuck in a tiny bar with no staff, one man pranced around apologising then disappeared outside for fag, apologised some more, then sat down in the corner of the lobby and played his guitar - can't believe it. He left a women guest to runt he bar and she admitted she had never done anything like this before, guests were just helping themselves to the drinks, whilst we stood their waiting like idiots. Nobody took my coat after asking several times, when the "guitarist" finally took my rather expensive coat, he just flung it over the back of an easy chair where someone was sitting| - never mind Fawlty Towers we were thinking on the track of "The Shining" it was surreal, apparently the owner was ill ..................................... hence lack of staff. Dress code was black tie and ball gowns, which some people, including us, followed, but a lot were in trainers and bomber jackets - this really is not on when you are paying a lot of money. Trouble was there was nowhere to put people once they left the restaurant - so tiny and only a few chairs. This is just pure "greed" at its best. We will never go there nor will we recommend it it anyone, which is a shame as we are locals. This beautifully situated establishment needs care, attention and someone to love it.

3 Thank J J
Evesham, United Kingdom
“How is this Hotel still in business??!!”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Booked a table for two for their New Year's Eve Dinner Dance on the phone, on the day. We were told that we could eat at 9.30, why did they take our booking on the day when the Manager was ill and they had no staff, apart from a friend/guest who knew nothing about hotels and who aimlessly wandered about with glass of champagne in hand agreeing that this situation was not good? Hotel had taken 90 covers in a restaurant that took 45 people, one session of 45 at 7.30pm and another session of 45 at 9.30pm - unfortunately we were booked into the 9.30 slot, but the 7.30 lot had booked their table for the entire evening - quite rightly so - and they were not going to rush their dinner to let us lot in!!! Even if the idiots at the bar had invited the people eating to "take their coffee in the lounge area" there was nowhere for them to sit as the lounge area had only a couple of sofas and a few chairs to sit on. How did they think they could get away with this??

2 Thank Rob P
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Sunday lunch - thank you”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

ASPECT - beautiful setting and perfect view from the windows and verandah - the Hotel nestles on the river Avon. With swans on the river, cattle grazing and a lovely English landscape - the view is perfect.
FOOD - is declicious, Need I say anymore?
STAFF - cannot do enough for you. Excellent service from friendly, attentive staff.

The Hotel exudes a family atmosphere and I would highly recommend it. I have not stayed there.

I am a long standing Trip Adviser, who moved to the area 3 years ago. I am the first to raise improvement opportunities for Hotels - if it is warranted (see my previous reviews). However, I have not been able to fault this Hotel as yet. So much so, my daughter is getting married here next year.

I spent a wonderful afternoon at the hotel last week - was perfect and the staff were great.