“Something missing”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Evesham
Cheshire
“Something missing”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night on an offer, which included scones and tea on arrival, dinner, bed and breakfast. Check-in was efficient, if not over-friendly, but we had to ask about the scones and tea, as it was not offered. Our choice of time to eat was already booked up, so we had to opt for 6.30pm. Dining room was most impressive. Choice of menu was limited, just 3 choices for starters, mains and deserts, which was a little disappointing. Food was beautifully presented, but miniscule portions. The cooked part of the breakfast which was ordered was nice, but disappointed in the choice of cereals and fruit.

Our room was in the mews, and was fully accessible for those with disabilities, so it was very disappointing to find a wet room with shower and seat, rather than a bathroom with a bath. The lack of a mirror in the bedroom is a glaring omission, as you can't dry/straighten your hair without needing to look in a mirror.

Would I recommend the hotel? No. There is something missing - whether it's the reception, the poor choice of menu, or the fact that they seem to begrudge providing food (the scones/tea which had to be asked about, the 2 tiny vegetables on the plate which were classed as "baby vegetables", or the lack of choice at breakfast. It's a shame, as the hotel building is stunning, and the grounds will be lovely, when they are finished.

2 Thank cheshire764
Oliver C, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay at The Wood Norton.
I am so sorry we failed to impress you in a number of areas. I do discuss all feedback with my team as part my committment to maintain and improve standards.
We are still a releatively new hotel, still developing our style and improving our standards, and I guess that process will continue for a while yet.
I would urge you to give us another chance, and would be very happy for your to contact me personally to make the arrangments on your behalf.
Oliver Cooke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
midlands
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend away at The Wood Norton, we booked the night away with friends off the internet, 1 night B&B and 3 course evening meal, including cream tea on arrival.
After reading previous reviews concerning the popularity of the restaurant we phoned the hotel in advance to book a table which we were glad we did as two weeks before going we could only get a table for 4 persons for either 7.00pm or 9.30pm.
The food on the night was of a really good standard, may be slightly nouvelle cuisine, but still adequate as we had eaten a bar meal (Club sandwich) in the bar that afternoon before our cream tea.
The staff were really friendly and helpfull, a credit to the Hotel, telling us the history of the building when asked, bags and cases taken up to our rooms as the rooms were not quite ready on arrival.
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and well recomended, would love to visit again in the future when the leisure/spa is built and the gardens more established.
Tiny negatives, which I must hasten did not spoil our stay.....were maybe biscuits to be provided with the tea/coffee making facilities in the room, as previous reviews have stated lack of full length mirrors in the room (We stayed in the Pear Tree room...very clean,comfortable and adequate for our needs), and also a covered walkway from the Pear Tree rooms to the main building would be an idea, though this did not matter to us as the weather was really nice on our night.
Also the bar food was delicious, and we thought good value, (£6.96 for club sandwich and a small portion of chips), but drinks slightly on the expensive side even for a hotel of this standard (£5.95 for a bottle of Magners over ice).
These issues aside, and may I say these are only nit picks, not at all spoiling our stay in any way.....we would not hesitate to recomend this hotel for anyone looking for a weekend away in the Cotswolds.

Room Tip: Good idea to book restaurant table in advance...even if on a package including evening meal.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank claret_an_blue
Thank you so much for your kind review following your stay at The Wood Norton.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, happily the mirror saga is now reaching its conclusion and they should be here in the next ten days or so.
We shall hoe to see you again before too long.
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We really did have the most wonderful stay!! We paid just £30 to upgrade our room and found it to be spacious, with a lovely view. Bed was really comfy and shower was the best I've had in a long while. Staff were great and extremely attentive. Really enjoyed spending time relaxing in the bar and the restaurant. We had had lunch at the 2 mitchelin starred Le Champignon Sauvage restaurant in Cheltenham and whilst that was heavenly we were still most impressed with the evening meal at Wood Norton. We will at sometime return and certainly would be more than happy to pay their full rack rate..

Room Tip: We paid £30 for a upgrade and were more than happy :-)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for such a lovely review of your recent stay at The Wood Norton.
As I have made clear elsewhere on these pages, I do share all the feed back with my team and this will be a great boost and reward for their considerable efforts.
We shall look forawrd to seeing back in Worcestershire before too long.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Wood Norton Hotel for two nights with the Travelzoo Deal. We both thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The bedroom was lovely,large comfy bed,great bathroom. Only small point which has already been mentioned was that there was no mirror in bedroom. The restaurant was superb and food was perfect. The staff were very attentive and more than happy to help. The breakfast was also lovely. Overall we thought it was a great stay and amazing value for money with the deal. Would be lovely to see leisure facilities in the future to make it a truly relaxing,luxurious stay. Well done Wood Norton.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review of The Wood Norton.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I am happy to say the mirrors are on their way and should be fitted within the next ten days or so!
We shall look forward to seeing you in Worcestershire again before too long
Manchester
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Overall, we enjoyed our stay but with some issues. The place is beautiful and when the gardens are finished and matured it will be magnificent. My worry is that the facilities are not big enough for the number of rooms they are selling. We stayed in the main house on the second floor overlooking the gardens.

General observarions:

1. Upon arrival the receptionist was not particularly friendly (maybe she was having a bad day). We arrived at 4.30 (not exactly late) and when we tried to book a table for dinner that evening were told that the restaurant was fully booked apart from one table at 6.30. They offer a deal whereby people can book dinner, bed & breakfast with afternoon tea which apparently leaves no room for full paying guests to use the restaurant (aka us). Had we been aware of the likely issue in obtaining a table when we booked we would have done so earlier. The bar food was excellent, but not the ambiance we had wanted.

2. Breakfast - This on the whole was very good. a) If you want toast (and not hot bread) you may need to ask for your toast to be re-done. b) Sausage on Sunday morning was cold in the middle and didn't seem cooked through. Someone on a neighbouring table sent theirs back, so it obviously wasn't just me, although it was extremely busy and all but one of the tables were occupied at the time. c) The temperature in the restaurant for breakfast on Sunday morning was unbearably hot (possibly not helped by the number of people in there). It was extrmely busy and tables were at a premium both days at 9.30.

3. Bedroom - The room was fairly well-appointed and functional but a little dark as there was only a small light and 2 bedroom table lights. The only drawers in the room were two tiny ones in the bedside shelf. Water pressure was excellent so the shower was extremely good. The towels were lovely and fluffy as were the bath robes. Views of the gardens will be really nice when it matures, but there is still a lot of work going on at the moment. On a more negative side, there was a very bad stain on the headboard (it looked as though someone who was wet or with wet hair had leaned against it and left a very bad water mark in the fabric - not pleasant). Also, there was significant dust on top of the wardrobe. We put our luggage up there and it was covered in dust when we pulled it down again.

We slept reasonably well apart from being awoken by the fire alarm at 7am on Sunday. The worrying part about this was on check-out. When we queried the cause the young receptionist said they were investigating and thought it was from the kitchen. Whilst apologising she said "I heard it go off so was trying to silence it as quickly as I could before it woke everyone up". Slightly worrying if it had been a real fire that she had silcenced it before knowing the reason!!!

Room Tip: If you want dinner, ensure you book this before you arrive or you may not get a table.
2 Thank Ali-ali-oh
Thank you very much for such a comprehensive review, I am pleased that overall, you enjoyed your stay at The Wood Norton.
As I hope would be clear from my other correspondance on these pages, I take all forms of feedback very seriously and share it all with my entire team. It is indeed the means by which I can try to meet all our individual guests expection. Please forgive me for not dwelling on each individual point you raise, suffice (I hope) to say, that where I can I shall take immediate action.
I do hope you will give us another try in the near future.
london
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed 1 night with the Travelzoo deal . It was excellent value, the public areas are stunning, the Pear Tree room was comfortable and clean , the food very good standard and the service helpful. The only small negatives were the dinner portions were minimalist and the room lacked character ( the rooms in the main house are more individual but obviously more expensive). Well worth it on a deal but probably wouldn't consider the Pear Tree rooms at full price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review of The Wood Norton.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, though I am concerned by your comment regarding portion size. Some other correspondants have made similar references and I am working on the issue with the Chef.
I do hope we shall see you in Worcesterhire again in the near futrure.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just stayed at the Wood Norton Hotel on a travel zoo voucher deal. Generally we had a delightful stay, the staff were very friendly and attentive,maybe with the exception of 1 young man who served both during the evening and breakfast, the girls who served were very friendly and the guys in the bar were lovely too, especially the guy who took us to our table, very friendly. The food was delicious and of a very high quality if a little on the small side for my hubby.
One item i will agree with is the lack of mirror in the bedroom, drying and straightening my hair was something of a challenge. If i'm being picky I would also mention the noisy central heating which we couldn't get to turn off during the night (hot and noisy).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver C, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of The Wood Norton.
I am very sorry for our shortcomings which I shall ceratinly follow up, do please give us another chance in the near future.
Oliver Cooke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evesham
Evesham Hotel
#5 of 11 in Evesham
Billesley Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to The Wood Norton Hotel? Share your experiences!