The Wood Norton Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Evesham Hotel(Evesham)
$111
$108
Premier Inn Evesham Hotel(Evesham)(Great Value!)
$73
PremierInn.com
1,141 results
All reviewsmain buildingpear tree mewsroll top bathprincess louiseafternoon teagames roommolton brown toiletriesbeautiful hotelseparate buildingsconesbar menucream teamalvern hillsour wedding anniversarycourse mealwalk in showerhuge bathroom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just stayed at the Wood Norton Hotel on a travel zoo voucher deal. Generally we had a delightful stay, the staff were very friendly and attentive,maybe with the exception of 1 young man who served both during the evening and breakfast, the girls who served were very friendly and the guys in the bar were lovely too, especially the guy who took us to our table, very friendly. The food was delicious and of a very high quality if a little on the small side for my hubby.
One item i will agree with is the lack of mirror in the bedroom, drying and straightening my hair was something of a challenge. If i'm being picky I would also mention the noisy central heating which we couldn't get to turn off during the night (hot and noisy).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver C, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your review of The Wood Norton.
I am very sorry for our shortcomings which I shall ceratinly follow up, do please give us another chance in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Wood Norton last weekend. I SOOOOOOO want to say this place is 5 stars because we have sentimental reasons for being attached to it – we stayed here years ago and had a weekend party for my husband’s 50th with 6 friends which still gets talked about 10 years on – but this was our first visit since new ownership.

Good points:
-The building is stunning. Beautiful to look at outside and inside the public areas are well maintained, relaxing and just feel good to be in – all that wood panelling is gorgeous and sumptuous. Love the fact the BBC photos have been retained, reflecting the recent history of the building. Nothing like having Wilfred Bramble looking down on you as you sleep.
-Staff friendly
-Food is top quality and homeopathic-size portions delicious and beautiful to look at.
-We were on 2nd floor of main building - so no wood panelling for us (which we knew - you get what you pay for) – but bed extremely comfortable and bathroom excellent size and well equipped with nice toiletries.

Not so good points:
We arrived at around 6pm and fancied tea before getting ready for dinner. At reception I requested a pot of tea and biscuits to be sent to the room which was duly noted. We’d been in our room 5 minutes when the phone rang and a rather embarrassed receptionist admitted that she was new and hadn’t realised they don’t do room service. A hotel claiming to be top quality not doing room service??!! Although there are tea and coffee making facilities in the room (with a kettle that doesn’t have a long enough lead to reach any power points and so has to be put on the floor scrabbling around beside and under furniture) there are no biscuits and anyway – I wanted a bit of pampering after a long drive, not fiddling with plastic milk. We also noted on the information leaflet it states that both morning coffee and afternoon tea are served “Everwhere!”. I beg to differ.

Our bedhead had a nasty stain on it. Bit off-putting. On investigating we were told it was noted the day before, that they had tried to remove it and made it worse. Mmmmm. The bedroom did not have sufficient storage space for 2 people to unpack clothes into.

Service at breakfast second morning was ridiculously slow - we had waited 30 minutes for porridge for my husband before I had to remind a waitress. We then waited a further 30 minutes before I went and hunted down a member of staff to enquire about the cooked breakfast/plate of meats and continental cheeses (which they weren’t continental – same cheeses as at dinner). Would this food have arrived if I hadn’t chased it up? At least the waitress acknowledged the toast and tea was so cold as to be inedible by this time and replaced it. Having arrived in the restaurant at 9:15 we left at 10:45. We were 20 minutes late for a meeting.

“Extensive grounds and formal gardens”. A bit misleading. Whilst they are re-planting the garden the huge lawn is lumpy, full of weeds and needs re-grassing. And the majority of the grounds are not the garden (which can be seen in 5 minutes) – and these parts are in a poor state - especially the old unused conference/training accommodation?? facilities on the other side of the drive which are a bit spooky - abandoned and with a post-apocalyptic air! . Pot-holes in drive and gates with paint peeling do not make a good first impression. Waste bins in grounds overflowing with empty pizza boxes and sandwich wrappers - what's that all about?

The information leaflet talks about it being “in the shadow of the Malvern Hills”. Well – the sun must have been in a very peculiar position in the sky on the day they came up with that one – Malvern is 20 miles away – a good 40 minute drive so don’t expect Malvern views.

A lot of money for somewhere that just hasn't got it right. So all in all I will give it four stars for sentimental reasons but tell it to please try harder

Room Tip: Before booking just make sure you know where in the hotel your room will be. Website gives good photos of different types of rooms and makes it clear which are in the Annexe
1  Thank AquaSuliser

Thank you very much for the very comprehensive review of your stay at The Wood Norton. I am very sorry your nostalgic return to the hotel did not entirely meet your expectation.
We are still relatively new, and yes we do still make some mistakes but we are are all striving to make the right impression and give our guests a reason to return. Some things are out of my control and I am afraid the neighbouring buildings do fall into this bracket as they are not part of the hotel, others you mention are, and will receive my attention and where practical be remedied.
Do please give us another try at some date in the future, we shall look forward to welcoming you.
Genearl Manager

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just stayed at the Wood Norton hotel on a travel zoo deal. It is a beautiful hotel and we had a lovely room. I agree with lj2006 about the mirror situation; in our room the only mirror was in the bathroom which is a bit difficult to blow dry hair with when the only plug in the room is behind the tv. Staff were excellent and as I have a number of food allergies and had to bring my own milk, all of this was taken into their stride. Our waitress even checked with the chef about my concerns and I was made a special fruit dessert as I was unable to have anything on the menu. my only quibble was that the food portions were a little too 'nouvelle cuisine'.Will definitely visit again.

1  Thank jmdb51

Thank you very much for your review of The Wood Norton.
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Wood Norton, we are working hard with suppliers and contactors to resolve the mirroe situation, and they are currently being made.
We shall hope to see you abck in Worcestershire before too long
Genaral Manager

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed valentines weekend. So the hotel was busy and even though we had to wait for breakfast both mornings it was worth the wait very nice selection and if anything needed or run out they replaced quickly. Staff were very pleasant and give a great impression especially bar and waiting staff very friendly. Our Room on the top floor in main hall was very comfy super king sized bed. Again could of done with full length mirror and the mirror we did have was hung low so covered the plug sockets at the desk which you need for hair drier and kettle. They were busy planting and making grounds look lovely think it will be lovely in summer great for wedding photos etc and the house is a lovely old building with a special feel. Can't wait till they build the pool and spa complex that will make it an outstanding retreat!! Great for visiting Cotswolds etc bar food was lovely bit pricey but no more than you expect from a hotel, I thought the ribeye steak for £13.50 inc chips was great value and delicious! Overall great stay and will go back definitely!!!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review of The Wood Norton.
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us - I do share all forms of feedback with my entire team.
I do hope we shall not have to wait until the pool is built before you consider returning to The Wood Norton!
With all good wishes

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Driving up and the grounds seem to house some dilapidated other conference accommodation plus an ugly pub that rivals the one from Shameless...I'm sure it's work in progress but it takes the shine off...nice staff, excellent breakfast...bar lacked atmosphere...think a bit of trying too hard to be trendy has gone on...fold away bed for our daughter is worst she has ever experienced and she sleeps like a log anywhere...in hindsight whole place feels unfinished, reception is higgledy piggledy arrangement, no welcoming fire in fireplace, just smell of smoke around tiny reception desk from those who smoke outside the front door...tarnishes impression...think it needs more personal touches but I'm sure it will be great when whole project is finished

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you very much for your review of your stay at The Wood Norton - I am really sorry we failed to 'wow' you.
I do take all forms of feedback very seriously, and yes, we still have plenty to do to finish what has been started, and the things you mention are very much in hand for completion.
Do please give us another try, you will notice the difference as we go through the next few months - please feel free to call me personally to make the arrangements on your behalf.
Gneral Manager.