The Wood Norton Hotel
Fosbroke House(Bidford-on-Avon)
Bidford Grange(Bidford-on-Avon)
  • Bar/Lounge
1,129 results
All reviewsmain buildingpear tree mewsroll top bathprincess louiseafternoon teagames roommolton brown toiletriesbeautiful hotelseparate buildingsconesbar menucream teamalvern hillsour wedding anniversarycourse mealwalk in showerhuge bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Excellent restaurant and food but the hotel is far from ready and yet still charges 5 star prices.
A miserable receptionist, no welcome, no information given about hotel and no tea and scones on arrival as promised. We were simply processed and shown to an annex.
The oak-panelled rooms look good in the pictures but we only experienced the other rooms which were definitely lacking. We were first shown a compact room in a separate stable block conversion smelling of fresh paint from recent refurbishment. We paid extra to get a room on the second floor in the main hall but even that was lacking in facilities such as poor lighting, electric plug access, no drawer space or clothes storage facilities except for small limited hanging space and no accessible mirrors. No bathroom hooks for gowns or washbags or towels. The heating system blows hot one minute then cold air the next. All these issues are exactly as described by other reviewers of this hotel in the past two months. The staff are well aware and advised us they knew about the shortcomings of the room facilities. It is surprising the general manager acknowledges this in some of his replies and yet still has done nothing to rectify the issues. It would seem any hotel manager that has several customer complaints over a period of time and has taken no action does not deserve any returning customers. The restaurant is the only redeeming feature. Good food and good service and well run by Sam. They should make him the general manager!

2  Thank Allen W
Oliver C, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to review The Wood Norton.
I am very sorry your visit fell short of expectation.
As I would hope is clear I do take all feedback very seriously, and some of the items you have mentioned will take longer than others, but as I have mentioned previously, it is very much on my radar. More chest of drawers have now arrived allowing me to re-configure the furniture layout and make provision for electrical outlets at the desk and add standard lamps, and mirrors.
On a more positive note, I am pleased you enjoyed our restaurant food and service, and I agree Sam and his team are a huge asset to the hotel!
I will make contact with you personally over the next day or so.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I honestly have no negative comments to make about this hotel. I was so impressed with the quality of both the service and the food throughout the stay.

Room:
I booked a deal through greatlittlebreaks.com for a two-course dinner, bed, breakfast plus cream tea, but then upgraded the room to a Queen Hall room with a freestanding bath for only £50 extra. On arrival we were upgraded further to a Feature Suite (room 104) which was such a beautiful, romantic room. The bathroom alone was larger than an average hotel bedroom (with a double shower as well as the bath), and both rooms were filled with original wooden panelling, unused fireplaces and great feature lighting.

Food:
The cream tea on arrival was perfect. Tea with warm scones, clotted cream and jam. Perfect after a long journey, and the staff were more than happy to refill the teapot.
We also ate lunch in the bar area - both choosing sandwiches - which were huge. Very good value for the £6/7 they charged. See photo added of the large club sandwich!
Dinner was delicious. The restaurant was gorgeous, a very romantically lit setting with a red rose and candle on each table. The waitress was attentive, constantly topping up both our water and wine glasses. We were provided with complimentary appetisers and pre-starters before our main courses arrived - a great added extra that I wasn't expecting. The mains could have included more vegetables, if I'm being really picky but the portion sizes and quality of the ingredients certainly made up for that. The wine list was varied and reasonably priced.
Breakfast was again, great quality produce. As well as a full English (with black pudding), there were other choices such as whisky porridge, chorizo hash and eggs benedict for a small surcharge. Unfaultable.

Service:
Many of the staff were quite young, which I was concerned about at the beginning, but all were very friendly, knowledgeable and courteous, going out of their way to make our stay feel special.

Tips:
There is a snooker room and also a variety of board games on offer. A great little addition to the hotel which us and many other guests used in the bar in the evening.

I will definitely return and also recommend the hotel to anyone wanting a romantic mini break in the countryside!

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for a room in the main building. There are 20 inside and 30 outside in the Pear Tree mews.
1  Thank Marie P
Oliver C, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you so much for writing a review following your recent stay with us.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit to The Wood Norton, and I hope we shall see you again before too long.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had to move from booking at the Northwick Hotel in Evesham, as it was closed due to earlier flooding. 4 couples for annual reunion - a meeting, preceded by buffet lunch and followed by private dinner.
Refurbishment under new owner, following a couple of years of closure, undertaken to high standard. Work on formal gardens still in progress due to poor weather. Will be stunning when complete. Friendly, professional staff and top notch culinary skills. £35 set price dinner (including some dishes with supplements) was very high quality.
Snooker room an added bonus! Just a couple of miles from Evesham with stunning views. Don't be put ff by remnants of the BBC (past and present!). Would only impact on stay if you wanted to wander round the grounds.
Pannelled ground floor includes reception, bar, lounges and restaurant. Fresh flowers everywhere.
A hidden gem. Make sure you ask for a copy of the history of the building. Fascinating. Get there before the crowds from London discover it!! Rebooked for next year.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms in the main house do not have the panelling but are spacious and well equipped (212)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PeterRand

How very kind!
I am so pleased you enjoyed you reunion with us last week - and delighted you have booked again for next year!
Thank you for taking the trouble to review your stay, we shall look forward to welcoming you again next year if not before!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

It was Mrs Ys birthday treat and we have been to Fishmore a couple of times, but that's gone off the boil now so I plumped for Wood Norton just outside Evesham which has recently been re-opened. And a check on google maps showed there was a decent 5 mile walk we could do in the afternoon to work up an appetite.
I emailed late in the week and negociated a decent rate for a Feature Hall Double DBB.
The entrance is impressive and strange with the roadside showing that it's shared land with the BBC and the Hotel is further up the hill, we parked in the customer car park which looked a bit scruffy but we put that down to on going improvements and signage was lacking for reception. we made our way down so steep steps and then admired the outside of a very grand looking building as we entered the double doors a small conceirge style desk was manned by a single person who was dealing with a wedding enquiry that gave us chance to look arround the ground floor and see if that was reception.
We were booked in efficiently and made our way up to room 104 up a lovely oak stair case, with oak paneling all round and the room was similar oak panelled roof and walls. With a fantastic view out over the lawn (in need of of some TLC) and the gardens that were prepared for winter and the river beyond. The bathroom was massive with a roll top bath (brownie points there for me) and a double shower, in fact it was probably as big as some bedrooms we've stayed in ! After a quick change of shoes it was out for a walk along the road and up a bridleway as dusk gave way to night we took a wrong turn and ended up at Tesco's a quick coffee and a taxi ride back and we were back at the hotel preparing for Dinner.
As Susan Y commented the lighting was 'atmospheric' and the plug for the table lamp was on the otherside of the room, even a visit from the porter couldn't solve that one. The heating as well was a little tempremental blowing quite hot or even with a minor adjustment cold air. Plus again backing up Susan Y - the plug socket for the hairdryer was no where near a mirror Mrs Y's observation the room had been fitted out by a man !
Pre Dinner we attempted to play snooker soon realising we had lost whatever skill we used to have but an attentive waiter noticed we were there and brought canapes and menus to us as we chased balls round the table. Then we went into the bar, a long stainless steel affair manned by a bar staff who was a bit rushed (forgot to give us a wine list) a couple of slurps of excellent bottled beer and a white wine and we were in the dining room.
Lemon Sole Risotto and Pork Belly starters were delicious followed by an excellently cooked piece of Beef and Lamb. With a bottle of Montepuliciano d'Abruzzo from France !? This was followed by Scotty's Trio and Cheeses. And another bottle of the Italian fruity number. The one bugbear - food quality, taste and service was great the meal was £35 per head but an extra £2 for belly pork, £4.50 for the beef, £3 for the lamb and £2.95 for the cheese. Yes we could have had Hake or poached Chicken for no supplement but why not make dinner £40 and be done with it ?
We retired to the bar for some people watching and attempt to finish the wine which ended up being slurped back in the bedroom. A good nights sleep saw us up and raring to have breakfast at 9.30, back in the dining room again with a choice of seats but no view on the tables left unless you wanted to be centre of attraction in the middle of the room. A good choice of juices, cereals and pastries was backed up by a delicious cooked full English (no black pudding) with freshly cooked scrambled eggs. Plenty of coffee and toast sated our appetites until tea time.
Would we go back - yes an enjoyable one night experience. Just not very much to do apart from sit and read or wander round the gardens. We did have a stroll round Evesham Sunday AM and it was sadly a town in decline a lot of shops to let with poundland and bargain booze doing a roaring trade.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel direct and get a deal on a room
1  Thank Yorkie-EarlsdonRFC

Thank you so much for yoiur review.
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and as I hope is clear from other correspondants, we are working hard to address the issues you have raised, such as the lighting and power at the desk for hair dryer etc.
I hope we shall see you in Worcestershire again before too long!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Your hotel was the venue for my nephew's 21st birthday party,
Although I have some niggling complaints, I accept that this is a project in progress and I hope my criticisms will be viewed as constructive.
We stayed in room 106. A lovely room, but insufficient lighting. There was nowhere for me to use a hairdryer within reach of a mirror and makeup was difficult to put on because of the the subdued lighting in the bathroom. With the help of your excellent staff, I was able to use another room to dry my hair, but not an ideal situation. No biscuits on the tea tray....something expected in far less salubrious accommodation..No full length mirrors...a must for women and could be attached to the inside of the wardrobe taking into account the preservation of the magnificent wood panelling.
On a general note, reception is not clearly marked. The ladies toilets are not marked at all.
That said, your staff are amazing. Nothing was too much trouble. I would certainly stay again with the hope that all your teethng problems have been solved.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan Y
Oliver C, Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Thank you so much for finding the time to review The Wood Norton.
As a team we thrive on feeback and I share it all with the entire team; as is probably clear from other correspontants on these pages, the items you mention are already on our radar, and now the the holidays are behind us, the lighting, signage and mirrors will al be sorted over the next few weeks.
I am pleased all the celebrations for your nephews 21st were well received.
All good wishes for 2013, and I hope we shall see you in Worcestershire again before too long.