“Quirky but cosy”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Evesham
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Quirky but cosy”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed at the Evesham Hotel during the week of the Cheltenham Festival. To say it is quirky is an understatement. The charming owner wears a 'Dennis the Menace' jumper and the room keys are attached to small teddy bears. There are books, games and interesting things all over the hotel, it is NOT minimalist. the hotel is comfortable and the rooms cosy. Staff are friendly and attentive. They had the largest selection of cereals I've ever seen in a hotel and the food was good. I would be happy to go back, with my swimming cozzy!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Marie G
EveshamHotel, General Manager at Evesham Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay especially our large selection of cereals!
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit when you can enjoy our indoor heated pool.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed at the Evesham Hotel for one night and two days, for a family birthday.

Firstly, it is a wonderfully kept, old English hotel, very comfortable and traditional. There is a pool (although there is also a television showing a live feed of the pool in the lobby) and extensive grounds which are neat and calm. The wait staff were polite and efficient. The room we slept in was large, but it wasn't ready when we arrived at 2:30pm. This was despite assurance from staff it would be ready before 2pm. Considering we were the only guests bar one couple staying that night, it was disappointing to be kept waiting, and then charged for the drinks we were given at the bar while we waited. The excuse was that the previous week had kept staff busy. Not impressed by that!

It is oddly decorated, full of knick-knacks and ephemera - too cluttered and nonsensical for my taste, but when you meet the owner, you'll understand. We were told to visit the toilets, as they have apparently won awards. My brother came out of the men's with such an odd expression, I had to see for myself. I'm not sure what the awards were for exactly, but it wasn't taste. The toilets are full of more /stuff/, most of it featuring naked women, breasts, or farting. An Austin Powers voice shouts at you about how old you look from the mirror, there is a clock featuring Vladimir Putin's face, there are strange effigies of people, lifesize, sitting by the sinks. Odd, to say the least, but again once you meet the owner...

The owner, John, was the biggest issue with our stay. First, I'm sure he's a nice man, and I'm sure he has been described as 'eccentric' lovingly by other patrons, but there's eccentric, and there's rude, and this man is very rude. I am not sure if his demeanour was because of the fact we were a large party. It is put down to his sense of humour, but it was far from humorous, and in fact quite upsetting to a few family members, including the one with the birthday. He came across as blunt, crude, and arrogant. Frequently he referred to female members of our party as 'old bats', made comments about their weight and appearance, and indeed their clothing. On several occasions he joked about farting, about alcoholism, and about the commonness of my family. Yes it is all played as jest, and I'm sure many patrons would enjoy his jokes, but it was far too crass and out of place in such an austere and historic hotel to be anywhere near 'funny'. It was the kind of attitude you might see between long standing friends but definitely not from a complete stranger, and especially not from someone whom you'd expect to understand the basics of hospitality. Several members of our party were quite offended, one saying he "would have fallen out" with John if it had continued much longer, one (who suffers from an anxiety disorder) quite emotionally upset with being told she looked ugly by a strange man. Overall, it soured our trip, which was a real shame.

Despite the bad, the hotel's restaurant served truly wonderful food. We do know the chef indirectly through a family member, and he produced several amazing meals for us during our stay. On the Sunday, most of us ate a roast dinner, and although the food wasn't as hot as it should have been, it was the best beef I have ever eaten. The desserts too were very tasty and well presented, despite every dish being stupidly named.

Overall, a nice hotel with a great restaurant, but watch out for the owner. John should perhaps be aware that not everyone appreciates his 'sense of humour'.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Evelyn M
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, please accept my personal apologies for the experiences during your stay.
We have taken your comments very seriously and will address the issues accordingly.
We are pleased however that you enjoyed the food and will pass your feedback onto Chef and his team.
Kind Regards
David Field
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I found this hotel purely by accident after being dropped in it at the last minute by a hotel chained hotel! They did me a real favour...This is an excellently presented real English hotel!
From entering the reception area it feels different, the people are incredibly friendly and very efficient with a good sense of humour. The room key is presented and being a teddy bear you can't help laugh at the humour behind it, even the tired old business man raises a smile as he leaves his teddy at the reception. First warning is if you ain't got a sense of humour or personality don't go here, go to an unfriendly hotel chain where you are a room number rather than a person.....
Anyway onto the room, very clean and very comfortable, fridge has fresh milk in there with a welcome pack of wine, beer and all the hot drinks you could imagine, loads of thought goes into the comfort factor. As too is the bathroom, the rubber ducks, joke books for the bath, the old games in the room and the big comfy double bed (it's worth it to stay in the double rooms)! The swimming pool is another X factor but in summer the garden is a nice relaxing place. The bar (or lounge) is a bit like grandmas front room but nevertheless welcoming, I had no desire to go anywhere else but listen to some of the stories from our host for the evening, a very passionate (slightly eccentric) gentleman who's aim is to please and put a smile on everyone's face. The bar has a huge selection of whiskeys and prides itself on its "far away" wines and beers, the owner is always ready to give you a sample. Food in the dining room is another treat, the menu (they actually sell a recipe book, I've bought one) isn't too big but large enough to have a covered most tastes, the specials are always a treat and can be from anything from ostrich to kangaroo steak! The dining experience is terrific and after a couple of glasses of wine it's ready for a night cap and a trip to the loo (got to visit the loo, it's won stacks of awards) ... I have stayed here about half a dozen times and after a hard day it makes you smile..I actually hate leaving and if I was in a radius of 30 miles from work I'd travel it every time, haven't been for 6 months but I am longing to visit again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
EveshamHotel, General Manager at Evesham Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for your review, its great to hear you have enjoyed several stays with us and shared some experiences from your visits.
We always value our customer feedback to help us improve and also let us know what we are doing well.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Evesham Hotel soon!
chelmsford
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed at this hotel three weeks ago. Lovely and cosy. Our room was quite large and spotless. A pleasant change to have fresh milk in your room in a fridge. Staff very friendly. We loved the sense of humour of the owner. Might not suit everyone. A visit to the loos is a must. We ate in both nights, could not fault it. A huge selection for breakfast. Would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
EveshamHotel, General Manager at Evesham Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our quirky toilets!
Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Devon
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

This was my 3rd time staying here and it always delivers the most cosy, comfortable stay out of all the hotels I've stayed in. The breakfast is extensive and cooked to order, and the character of the hotel gives it real charm. I always see something new each time. This time a saw the whales jawbone in the garden. Awesome! Well worth a visit

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Monkeyzee
Thank you for your lovely review, we are pleased you enjoyed your 3rd visit with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back for your 4th!
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I had a wonderful time here for my birthday weekend. From the time we went to reception to the time we left it was special. The bear with the keys were a lovely touch, and the rubber duck in the bathroom. The room was spacious and clean and well equipped with tea/coffee facilities and a quiet fridge with "proper milk." I have special dietary requirements and even though what I wanted wasn't on the menu, it was no trouble at all to cook my meal, which was superb. The waiters and waitresses was so polite, well dressed and a credit to the hotel. The pool looked lovely and loved the way it was done out. I loved the ladies toilets and even got to "pop" the 1st February on the door for my birthday. The talking mirror frightened the life out of me when asking about my bottom! I could have spent all day in the loo just reading all the jokes and articles. I even counted 43 different variety of cereal at breakfast too! The hotel is amazing if you have children. The area just for play is fab, all the books and games and the slide. Looking forward to visiting with my daughter and maybe having the Alice in wonderland room!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
EveshamHotel, General Manager at Evesham Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for your lovely feedback, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and all the little quirks around the hotel! We pride ourselves on our cereal selection and can often have 50 different varieties to choose from!
We look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to stay in the Alice in Wonderland room soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2014

A very easy and pleasant overnight stay.The staff are very helpful and friendly, the bedrooms are spacious and extremely comfortable, and the food Is good with some excellent surprises - a cracking steak and blue cheese pie, Georgian wine and a great breakfast with more cereals than Tesco. The additional attractions of the pool and huge selection of toys and games make it perfect for families and it is so spacious that those without kids need not worry about being disturbed.If you have not stayed here before, ignore the exterior and the décor of the public areas (both could do with a facelift), and enjoy it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
EveshamHotel, General Manager at Evesham Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for your review, we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay especially the steak and blue cheese pie! Your feedback is much appreciated and helps us to improve our service all the time. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Evesham hotel soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evesham
The Wood Norton Hotel
#6 of 6 in Broadway
The Broadway Hotel
The Broadway Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Evesham Hotel? Share your experiences!