“Sunday Means Roasted Potatoes”

Russell's of Broadway
Ranked #6 of 40 Restaurants in Broadway
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Relaxed, Stylish Dining Room serving modern British food at lunch and dinner time using the best of local ingredients. With seven individually designed bedrooms within the same building. All with en-suite bathrooms, luxury bed linen and air conditioning. Flat screen televisions, broadband internet access and original architectural features all combine to create a supremely comfortable experience. A full English breakfast is included.
Reviewed October 7, 2012

It was one of our regular trips to Broadway and was made all the more enjoyable by the good weather - what we call 'An Italian Day' - cold but bright and sunny. We usually have lunch at the White Swan at the bottom of the high street and we always get a good meal at a good price. Today, the 'Italian Day', had brought out the locals and with a mix of autumn tourists, the White Swan was very busy and the chance of getting an 'unbooked' table was remote. A wander back up the high street, we spotted Russell's - 'a restaurant with rooms', and having never tried it before, we decided to see if a table for two was available.

I remember Gordon Russell's premises from many years ago, a classic furniture maker, I recall that one of my former students got a job with the company after leaving University with a degree in furniture design. Now the former shop premises and Russell's workshop are occupied by the restaurant and seven individually designed bedrooms. It has been tastefully overhauled and the downstairs restaurant has a contemporary, light and airy feel with good quality tables and chairs and caters for about 50 covers.

We were shown to a table near the window and drinks were ordered and delivered with no delay by polite and well presented staff in black outfits. The manager was very smartly dressed in a pinstripe suit, such a pity his male assistant couldn't have made a similar effort! The menu was quite short, but focused on their two or three course Sunday lunch service, with two courses at £21 per head. There was a choice from five starters and five mains with the latter featuring, roast beef, roast lamb, salmon, fried plaice and a vegetarian option. I opted for an onion squash salad starter, my wife the duck liver parfait, while we both went for the roast beef as our main course.

Freshly baked bread with a choice of different butters arrived without delay. Sadly the bread was crispy on the outside but doughy inside, the result of a lack of adequate 'proving' before being thrown into a hot oven. Our starters followed swiftly. Excellent warm onion squash was accompanied by crisp roasted pumpkin seeds and nicely dressed leaves. A very wouthwatering and tasty dish. Equally, my partner's duck liver parfait was beautifully presented and soft and moist to the taste. Both starters can be recommended.

The restaurant became busy as we awaited our main dishes - mainly couples in later years with a few larger tables of aged aunts, brothers and uncles. Why or why do some restaurants think they can also double as an art gallery? Yes, I like to see good original works of art on restaurant walls but not a range of unrelated landscapes, flower paintings and abstract pieces with large price tags featuring the artist's life story. Leave that to the gallery!

We had quite a wait for the main course, hence the distractions on the walls, but when they arrived they look fresh and piping hot. Two generous slices of good beef, cooked just right with fresh and crisp broccoli and carrots and a yorkshire pudding and finally the roasted potatoes. O dear, sunday roast to me means good roasted potatoes but these were very disappointing. You need a good variety of spud for good roasties - a Maris Piper, for example. Russell's Roasties were poor quality, badly cooked and tastless. I can only guess from their taste that they had been pre-prepared them and then quickly heated up in a deep fat frier. Fat was all you could taste.

This Sunday lunch was not good value for money, I felt. My bill which included the two courses for two persons, two glasses of house wine and a bottle of sparkling water was £59.75. We are unlikely to return when we are in Broadway again. There are a lot of very good restaurants providing very good Sunday lunches (with good roasted potatoes) for a lot less.

1  Thank Paul B

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Ate here with friends having eaten here quite a few times before. Always had good food before but wondered if it might have changed ownership. Had a terrific soup starter, but the bread didn't arrive until well after we all finished our starters, despite reminding the waitress and taking my soup exceptionally slowly. My wife's mackerel starter was a little over facing with a generous portion of partly raw mackerel and beans. My main was pork belly, which I normally love. But this was the poorest I've had for a long time, nice sauce but awful piece of meat poorly cooked. My wife had the sea bass which was lovely. You need to think about accompaniments to your main if you're having the duck as it was presented on a few leaves. The service was charming and friendly and mostly efficient (excepting the timing of the bread which we were told several times was in the oven, so they were keeping us informed). I feel a little guilty writing a poor review of this restaurant as we have had many good meals here but not eaten here for a little while which is why we're curious as to whether there has been a change in ownership. The prices have risen on the a la carte which would be okay if the food served was of its past care and quality. We have recommended this restaurant to friends in the past but will be a little more reserved in our recommendation of it in the future.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Enjoyed Sunday lunch there today. Restaurant has a modern yet comfortable feel, a varied menu and extensive wine list. Food was excellent and meat cooked to individual preference. They offer a two or three course fixed price menu. The staff were polite and attentive although we did have to wait quite a time for our drinks. They arrived after reminding the waitress. All in all a very pleasant experience

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Great restaurant with modern atmosphere; good food and drinks; warm and inviting; good menu with vegetarian choices.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

A modern restaurant with a varied and well-presented menu, a full-range wine list and appropriately attentive staff. The prices match the quality. Virtually faultless, and all that you would expect of a Good Food Guide entrant.