All reviews wine bar valet parking bar and grill oliver cromwell chewton glen deluxe room nooks and crannies original building lovely hotel young staff main restaurant steeped in history spa facilities an overnight stay afternoon tea from start to finish beautiful building
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Charming hotel in great location. But food service was horrendous. Breakfast servers were slow. Over 10 minutes for them to deliver coffee. No warm greeting. No smile. And breakfast cooked in kitchen was inedible.
Beds in room were very comfy. And bathrooms were clean and modern. But rooms were cluttered and musty. Not warm and charming. The hotel may be old, but rooms should not be old and tired and broken. Old, if done right, can be very warm and charming!! But not here.
Also, was charged £7 for one small scoop of ice cream. Ridiculous.

Room tip: Go elsewhere
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Jason A, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear NJ5678

Really sorry to read that we didn't exceed your expectations and sorry to read that you didn't like the refurbished bedrooms. We strive to very high standards and the team work tirelessly to look after our guests.

On very busy days things can a few minutes longer, and I am sorry you felt hat you waited to long for your coffee. I will discuss your "inedeible" comments to the chef this morning

I do hope that despite your disappointment, it will not deter you from visiting again in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great weekend at The Lygon Arms celebrating my mum’s 70th. The architecture of the hotel is beautifully historic & atmospheric, with all the modern facilities you’d expect in a top hotel woven in seamlessly into such an important old building. Delicious food & drinks & very hospitable team of staff headed up by great management. I would definitely recommend the Lygon, & hope to return there in the future some time soon.
Geoff

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear gimturner

After spending some hours on the road from London, it pleases me greatly that after the trauma of your travels, we certainly made the trip worthwhile!

I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend at the Lygon relaxing with your family and do hope you will be able to return very soon

Thank you once again for your wonderful review, the team will be delighted to read your wonderful comments.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Lygon Arms is a truly beautiful hotel. Oozing charm, class and quality, yet a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. We stayed for two nights to celebrate my Mother-in-Law’s 70th Birthday.
The staff were very attentive and nothing was too much bother, impeccable service.
We stayed in a junior suite, which accommodated 4 people (2 adults, a teenager and a tweenager) with ease. The room was decorated to a very high standard and everything that we could possibly need was there. Our bedding was turned back every evening ready for bedtime, a very personal touch.
We ate in the bar on the first night and in the restaurant on the second night and on both occasions the food was delicious and of excellent standard (all sourced locally too).
We did not have any spa treatments as we didn’t have time but used the swimming pool, jacuzzi, stream room and sauna. In true Lygon Arms fashion the facilities were of high standard, clean and well maintained.
Overall a truly delightful stay. We most certainly will return in the future, maybe just the adults this time ! Valet parking was a great touch too.
A big thank you to the team at The Lygon Arms, you all made our stay so memorable.

• Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Andrew G

Thank you so much for this lovely review, it is a delight to read, and pleases me greatly that myself and the team went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect from start to finish.

As you say hopefully, you will be able to join us again very soon (perhaps just the two of you) so you can enjoy some much needed relaxation time once again

Thank you for your kind words, the team work very hard to please our guests, and it is of great reward to see such comments, they will be very pleased. Thank you again

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

My family of four stayed for four nights earlier this month. We had adjacent rooms in the older section of the hotel. The rooms were much larger than I anticipated and really well appointed. Rooms have tea kettles and nespresso machines - with plenty of choices for tea and coffee. Only nit was that the bathroom had a rather loud fan that would run for about 45 minutes after turning off the light. We would just shut the bathroom door and it wasn’t too annoying.

The staff are very friendly and helpful - and will valet your car if needed.

My family really enjoyed Broadway. Such a beautiful town - and seemingly quieter than some of the other Cotswolds towns.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Jason A, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear RobA417

Thank you very much for your wonderful review, I am of course delighted you enjoyed your experience and liked your room and everything about the Lygon Arms.

Broadway is a beautiful village and we are so lucky to be located in such a place

We very much look forward to seeing you again very soon

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We booked a 2 nights stay for my husbands birthday. This was not a cheap break away by any standard.

Upon arrival I stood at reception for a good while before I was greeted with raised eyes and a simple ‘yes’ from a female member of the team. Not so much a welcome, more of an inconvenience.

We were taken to our room, Room 82, a deluxe king room. The room was clean and comfortable but not all is as it seems!

We headed down to dinner in the main restaurant and pre dinner drinks. Now I’m not sure whether we were invisible or the staff had been told not to serve customers but it took 2 trips to the bar, a 20 minute wait and several staff walking past us before we were finally asked if we would like a drink by what can only be described as a snooty teenager. We could barely finish our drinks before our dinner reservation.

Our food itself was wonderful and this is clearly the only area of the hotel which is of an excellent standard. Although again, the attitudes of the waiting staff really perplexed me. Very unwelcoming and as though customer service is a chore.

We settled in our comfortable room to what we thought was going to be a restful night. No, apparently not. Room 82 must be positioned near the main heating systems as it sounded like a freight train running through our room the entire night.

Exhausted the following morning, i asked if we could kindly be moved elsewhere in the hotel. The answer was a simple no as no alternative was available. A very simple no.

I was so disgusted that I cancelled our dinner reservation for that evening and we spent the entire day trying not to return to the hotel.

After a further disrupted nights sleep, housekeeping were then banging on our door at 0845 for check out cleaning. Check out is not until 11am!

We headed for breakfast in our weary state and were greeted by waiting staff who promptly left us standing there whilst sorting a lady to the left of us who wanted her breakfast on the terrace. Absolutely disgusting service.

But when you think you’ve experienced everything, along comes checking out.

I walked into reception whereby the Reception Manager was exiting. One poor lady had been left at reception dealing with complaints from other residents regarding their bill whilst the queue is 6 deep with other guests trying to get cars and check out. I waited 25minutes for the privilege of paying a bill that was laden with 12.5% service charges in lieu of good service? It was disgraceful for the Reception Manager to leave one member of staff dealing with disgruntled guests and a queue. He sauntered back into reception after all the guests had disappeared. The staff member left coping was obviously very cross at him and let her feelings be known. He is someone that should not be working in an important front line role.

So this was our experience of The Lygon Arms Hotel. Not a great one and we shall not be returning.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank annaanderson2016

Dear annaanderson2016

I am terribly sorry you feel we fell well below the usual high standards, and having talked to the team they say you never mentioned any of the above when checking out, which clearly disappoints me as we could have sat down and had a chat about the things you have raised on the day.

As you will see from 95% of the reviews below that this is certainly and isolated incident, but appreciate you bringing it to our attention on this forum.

I am sorry you were unhappy but If I may ask that you call me to discuss this further directly at the hotel, I would be grateful.