“Fabulous hotel, great service and food”
Review of The Lygon Arms

The Lygon Arms
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Have just returned from a 2 night break at the Lygon. I read the Trip reviews before I left home and feared the worst!!! However, I must say how fabulous our weekend was. We were upgraded to a 2 floor suite across the road from the main hotel which was beautiful and clean. All of the service we received from the staff was top notch. We had dinner on the first night which was faultness and the staff very attentive. Again, breakfast we could not fault - all in all we had a great break in Broadway which is a lovely village and felt very well looked after indeed.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Lygon Arms

Reviewed July 7, 2009

This famous old hotel was once a joy to visit, with an excellent restaurant, impeccable housekeeping and customer-focused staff; today, it is part of a down-market chain and, despite its glorious old buildings and picture-postcard location, can only be described as mediocre at best. The once-sumptuous decor is now looking decidedly tired and tatty, especially in the restaurant, and the standard of housekeeping was poor. Worst of all was the standard of staff training: the staff were unwelcoming, inattentive, frequently difficult to understand and surly to the point of rudeness.

If you really must stay here, you should definitely eat elsewhere: the food was pretty average, poorly presented and vastly over-priced. Restaurant service was truly awful: at dinner we waited 30 minutes in the bar for menus to be brought, even having reminded bar staff twice, and a further 25 minutes and another two reminders for our orders to be taken. Once seated, the service was worthy of Fawlty Towers: a waiter actually hit a diner's head with a tray of crockery he was carrying, and didn't even stop to apologise! The wholly tasteless "amuse-bouche" was rather too thick to drink from its glass, yet no spoon was provided, so presumably it was intended to be drunk. At £42.50 for the table d'hote menu (unless one wanted cheese in place of dessert, for which a supplement was charged), I should have expected the main course to have been accompanied by a vegetable or two, perhaps even a potato, but these were resumably extra, too, although this was not apparent from the menu. My loin of lamb was garnished with a single carrot and a teaspoonful of what was presumably mashed potato, although the quantity was too small to be certain. The cheese board was not brought to the table, but tiny slivers were shaved from five cheeses by a waiter who was unable to tell us what they were: even after going off to ask someone else, he was able to identify only three, and one of those was only because it was discovered still to be in its wrapping. We had to ask for crackers. If the food is over-priced, the mark-up on the wine is obscene: they could probably get away with it on grand wines, but not on something everyone knows costs less than a fiver in their local supermarket. We managed to make a single bottle last a whole meal for 4, largely because it disappeared after the initial serving, and didn't reappear until the cheese course.

Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Not even to my worst enemy!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
secretary10, Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2009

Thank you for the comments you have made with regard to yoru recent stay.

I am very sorry that you found the staff to be unwelcoming and under-trained as I assure you that we take a great deal of time to ensure that our staff are properly trained and afford a friendlyy welcome to our guests at all times. With regards to the food, we strive extremely hard to make sure our food is of a high standard and is served correctly.

I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention and I have discussed the comments you have raised with my Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager and have taken the necessary action to ensure issues such as yours do not recur.

Should you have any further queries, I would be more than happy to discuss these with you should you wish to get in touch, in the meantime, please accept our apologies.

I

Reviewed July 4, 2009

Beautiful hotel in beautiful village. Staff generally helpful but some obviously inexperienced in service industry. Poor room maintenance. We were there in summer and the room was insufferably hot-could only open the window by about 6cm and no airconditioning.Breakfast was adequate but the one dinner we ate in the restaurant was abysmal-goodness knows how the restaurant achieved 2 AA rosettes. Great potential but hotel needs better management and more attention to detail.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
secretary10, secretary at The Lygon Arms, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2009

Thank you for the comments you have made with regard to your recent stay.

I am sorry if you found the room to be hot, unfortunately, the window can only be opend a small amount due to Health and Safety reasons, most of our rooms have air-conditioning. With regards to the dinner, we work very hard to ensure the food is of a high standard and this area receives a great deal of focus and attention.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

I assure you that the concerns you have raised will be treated very seriously as they are not the levels of service we strive to achieve and I am grateful to you for bringing these matters to our attention as it is only by receiving feedback that we are able to ensure that we are offering the correct standards.

Reviewed July 3, 2009

While the room was clean and comfortable, the service, particularly at the front desk, was decidely unwelcoming. Also a problem, which I only discovered on check-out, is the 'best available' pricing system where, according to their 'system,' if the hotel is not full, your room costs so much and if the hotel is full, your room will cost 50 pounds more...gouging of the worst kind.
But the disaster is really in the dining room. The food is atrocious--ill-conceived and poorly cooked-- and the prices are exorbitant. DO NOT DINE THERE. Two doors down is Russell's -- fresh, exquisite, very reasonably priced food.
Oh. And you have to pay 6.50 pounds to connect to the internet for an hour.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank evamy

Thank you for the comments you have made with regard to your recent stay.

In answer to the points you have raised, the hotel operates a "best available rate" system based on the avaiilability of the day. With regards to the food, we strive extremely hard to produce a high standard and this area receives a disproportionate amount of focus and attention.

Please accept our apologies if we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

I sincere hope we ill have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed July 3, 2009

The hotel building is very impressive and its location is excellent, in the middle of the beautiful Broadway highstreet. The room and the service were, however, just okay. Upon check in, the receptioninst was very polite but pretty impersonal. Our room was a bit dusty (room phone was covered in dust for example) and as other reviewers' commented, there were moulds around the bath tub. Foodwise, we only had breakfast there. Breakfast was buffet with a fairly good variety although not quite full English breakfast. Here again everyone was very polite but hardly with a smile. Overall, pretty average service and accommodation. Price probably is more of a reflection of the location than the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank M24london

Thank you for the comments you ahve made with regard to your recent stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

I have spoken to my Reception Manager and Head Housekeeper and we have taken the action necessary to ensure issues such as yours do not recur.

Reviewed June 30, 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Lygon last month for a great two day stay as we explored the Cotswolds. The ground floor public rooms are wonderful- very atmospheric. The grand dining room space, also used for breakfast is also very elegant. Our room was pleasant with plenty of closet space and a comfortable bed and bathroom. Broadway is a lovely little town with a good selection of pub style dining rooms and it is perfectly situated to explore this lovely region of England. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this historic hotel.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Venustas96
Reviewed June 25, 2009

the only saving grace for this visit was the cost, we had a 2 night break special offer b&b £209! any more would have been a joke. i think that our main problem was that we visited the hotel a few years ago when it was under private ownership or part of the savoy group. to try to compare the visits is impossible. the house keeping & maintenance is at an all time low, dirty bathroom, mouldy chipped shower, bulbs out, drapes un-closeable, no turndown service, meagre tea & coffee supplies, mini fridge not stocked, & surly bar staff. if i could now talk about food! dinner @ £42 a head served in what was the most beautiful dining room, i say was! now decorated & lit the barcelo way was awful. fatty lamb chop & tasteless pannaccotta. the breakfast no better, all over cooked but still cold. broadway is a lovely village & we enjoyed our stay despite the hotel. the hotel was very quiet whilst we were there, not difficult to work out why. so sad

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jackpalance
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!