“Great stay - shame about the weather!”
Review of The Lygon Arms

The Lygon Arms
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay - shame about the weather!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We (2 adults, 2 4-year olds and a toddler) stayed at the Lygon arms last weeked. The rooms were next door to each other so we could close the outer door and the kids could run around.

The staff were excellent, very helpful - even letting us store the baby's milk in the staff friday behind reception. A slight shame that breakfast is served relatively late for a family full of early-risers, but other than that we had no complaints (apart from the storm outside!). Swimming pool facilities were excellent too.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rlake2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Polish first
coventry
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I booked a two day midweek break with Amazon Offers, paying £335 for a premium room. We had a lovely stay in a smallish room in the old part of the hotel, and would happily return.
I originally tried to upgrade my room with Puma Hotels, but they said nothing was available. I phoned the hotel direct and efficient Tomas at reception fixed me up immediately.
For a premium room we did think our room was a little compact, but we adapted and it was fine for two nights. I think the only advantage in the upgrade was bathrobes and bottled water! The bathroom was a good size with an excellent shower (in the bath). The washbasin plug was of the spring loaded type, which took us 24 hours to figure out, but that was our fault.
The hotel itself is fantastic and so unlike modern purpose built hotels. The bar/lounge area was made up of lots of little spaces with old beams and proper oil paintings on the walls. I liked particularly, on the first floor landing, the brass bell from HMS Broadway, with details of her wartime service.
Our deal gave us breakfast, dinner with wine, and a superb cream tea on our second day. All meals were lovely, with excellent service from the headwaiter and all waiting staff. Food helpings at dinner were not huge, but the food itself was tasty and well presented, and our complements to the chef.
The gardens behind the hotel were vast and well deserved a wander round. There are two spacious car parks also behind the hotel. The larger of the two had lots of muddy puddles after recent rains. I went to get my car before checking out and in gracefully leaping over a puddle, I slipped over. No harm was done, apart from to my dignity, but I had to scrape cotswold mud from my trousers with my car ice scraper. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the dear Lygon Arms. I am just after a spot of global sympathy via the good offices of Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Room 27 was fine, in the original building. It overlooked a pretty inner courtyard. Probably on anot...
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We had an overnight stay which included a meal at Luke's (separate review) and was excellent value all in all. The service levels were very high throughout our stay from check in to the bar staff to breakfast and check out. It is always a worry with a chain that it will be lacking in individuality and charm however the Lygon Arms retains a certain level of its heritage with cosy little lounges, old school service and respect. Didn't have a meal there (except breakfast which was excellent) but saw dishes going passed in the lounge which looked very nice. We had an older room not part of the original building which was spacious, warm and inviting with a modern bathroom with good shower and heated towel rail - slept well, would definitely stay again

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zoelucky1
Oxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Excellent facilities for both accommodation and restaurant - difficult to find any fault with the service provided. Would certainly stay at The Lygon Arms again and recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

UK
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We have just had an overnight stay here with a very good deal from Amazon ( bed, breakfast, 3course evening meal with a bottle of wine for £169). Broadway is a lovely village at the edge of the Cotswolds with a few lovely shops and galleries.
Our room was across a courtyard and of a good size with comfortable bed. There as a small patio area.
Dinner was good. The service was on the slow side which is ok if you eat earlier. We booked for 8.30 so it was gone 10.30 before we had coffee. All the food was of a high standard a d well presented.
The room overnight was very hot and being on the ground floor we did not want to leave the large window open.
Breakfast was a disappointment and very slow. I was offered sauce with my cooked breakfast which did not appear, neither did the second coffee pot. My husband's poached egg was hard and black pudding very ordinary.
The gym and swimming pool were very good for a hotel of this size.
All staff were very friendly and welcoming.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel with a friend and his parents - they don't live too far away from Broadway, and were very excited to stay at this place, which they had heard so much about.
I can honestly say, I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel with more quirky charm. I don't think there is an even step or a straight wall in the whole place- we loved it! From the moment we arrived, staff were so warm and welcoming- as were other guests- the Lygon has such a lovely feel to it.
We ate out in the evening- there are lots of places to choose from locally and within very easy walking distance. Breakfast was excellent - a good choice of cold / continental options, then a hot menu selection cooked to order. The quality of food was fantastic, and staff managed the late breakfast rush with calm efficiency - not always the case in other places.
I can't wait to return to the Lygon, hopefully in the summer next time when the gardens will be in full bloom.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Worcester
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I booked (via a third party) a morning spa package. The immediate impression were that problems were afoot as on asking, it was confirmed the jacuzzi was out of action for a while awaiting an expensive part. We weren't advised of this on booking (I felt inclined to let that slide on the basis of third party booking). However we also weren't advised that the first two hours of serenity would be drowned out by children's swimming lessons. Noise levels of a public baths/crowd at early Beatles concert requiring us to shout to each other. Along with the broken jacuzzi and noise there were many other tell tale signs the owners are not keen to spend money on maintenance - plunge pool in gents out of order, missing operating controls on showers, flaking/scratched paint and rust on various items in the area. It looks unloved and I suggest the owners take a step back and look at at their offering from a customer environment viewpoint. The rather bizarre addition of a snooker table in the coffee lounge (coffee machine broke whilst using) so you sit around like Willie Thorn and Steve Davis could perhaps be reviewed. I'm no spa business expert but maybe look at how many spa users wish to combine a game of a snooker with their visit (feels a fairly niche market to me). I will say the treatments were good. But the lunch was a comedy of errors (one order lost), soup we had cold (we were late to be fair but a quick blast in the microwave and a stir maybe and we wouldn't have minded - it had clearly been on the side for a while without that thought). I had trouble understanding some of the staff although they were polite. Don't get me wrong, our deal was a cheapy and I didn't expect top end, and the treatment/lunch probably gave value ultimately; but I wouldn't have booked probably knowing all the problems to be honest. My tip to the owners - with a facility of great potential why not invest in making it great - you could then charge more, and given the location and hotel offering I'm sure this would work for you.

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Diglis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!