“Big improvement since my last visit”
Review of The Lygon Arms

The Lygon Arms
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The outside areas and courtyard are generally tidier and cleaner than my last visit. The room was very much better - room 62 in the thatched cottage - big 4 poster bed good bathroom and shower.
Tea/coffee making facilities etc.
Staff are pleasant and attentive.
Breakfast was much better - they now have a chef who can cook eggs properly (scrambled, poached and fried). Black pudding was overcooked, dry and rubbery - hard to get the knife into. But... it's not minor mistakes that irritate it's the way they're dealt with and when we mentioned the black puddings they were immediately replaced - with apologies.

Room Tip: As mentioned - room 62 is recommended
1  Thank BrianofLondon
Bernice H, Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear BrianofLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Lygon Arms, we are very pleased you returned. Since Puma Hotels Collection has taken over the management of the Lygon Arms, we have invested very much in team development and as we expect mistakes will be made, however as you stated it is how we deal with them that makes the difference.

We are fortunate to have many different styles of rooms at the Lygon Arms and look forward to welcoming you again the near future where you can enjoy another one of our lovely bedrooms.

There are newer reviews for The Lygon Arms

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Excellent lunch for four on Sunday. Food was very good and staff very attentive and polite. We all really enjoyed it. The hotel itself is lovely and packed with antiques. The whole experience was delightful.

1  Thank Holidaylover098
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife booked a night away with our daughter as a treat for my 40th birthday, we've not been to Broadway before so a slight step into the unknown but the results were marvellous. On arrival the reception set the tone by the welcome they gave our 6 year old daughter, just what you want! After checking in, we had a short tour to point out the different areas. We'd managed to get an upgrade at a small cost o a suite in one of the character rooms, you can go for contemporary if that's your style. I'm more for the character, our room had that in abundance including slightly sloping floor!
The hotel is full of nooks and crannies, ideal to find a spot to sit and hide from the rest of the hotel guests!

We had a 3 course meal as part of the package, my daughter enjoyed a scrum my pizza which was delicious! Our meals were also of a high standard enjoyed with a lovely bottle of wine. Again service was great, not all over you but there when you needed it.
We enjoyed a swim in the pool, kids are allowed at certain times, we didn't use the other spa facilities but they did look appealing!
If this is the standard set by Puma hotels I'd look forward to trying their others nd would Definately revisit the Lygon Arms.

What made the visit even better was Broadway, a lovely village within the Cotswolds, plenty of shops to visit but the countryside is the real draw, for the with kids the park is fantastic, enought there to keep kids of all ages occupied, plus the basketball court and goalposts for footy.

Overall, I'd recommend both Broadway & The Lygon Arms, you do feel like you've escaped the daily grind and find yourself relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere from the 1st minute, enjoy!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Grovetrotter

Dear Guest,
Happy 40th birthday! And thank you to your wife for selecting the Lygon Arms for such a speacial occasion. We are delighted you enjoyed every minute with us.

We have recently introduced Angus & friends to our children guests and are very pleased to hear such positive feedback. We strive to be family friendly hotels and have a great offer of Family Adventure which aims to give the whole family an experience.

We are very proud of our team at the Lygon Arms and know they will be thrilled with your positive comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your 41st.

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I had a morning to kill and thought I would use the spa here. Big... No huge mistake. Mold everywhere and It stank like a festival portaloo. The sauna and everything is rundown. Shame cause the bar staff and building are really lovely.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank daniel w

Dear DanielW,

Thank you for your review although very sorry to hear you left feeling disappointed. There is no excuse for a drop in housekeeping standards and you can rest assured this will be managed interanally. We are delighted left thinking highly of our team and the hotel itself.

We do hope this visit will not deter you from using the hotel again in future.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Hi
We spent one night 17.5.2013 in Braodway, the room which we upgraded was superb large and full of character
Yes the spa is a little tired but thats typical of an aging spa...
The staff were spot on with real attention to detail , one vodak and orange was a little expensive as we were given the top premium brand, but all in all we had a great time
Breakfast was relaxing and well presented
we are getting married in a few weeks and just needed to be spoilt and recharge our batteries.
Again many many thanks, the reception staff need a special mention as they made our stay what it was.

Room Tip: if you can afford it go for room 15 which is a suite so so large and special
2  Thank happychappy2323
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My PA booked myself and six colleagues into this hotel...by mistake!
We were working in Chipping Campden and she thought she was booking us into that village's Lygon Arms.
What a happy accident.
This is an I excellent hotel.
The Reception staff were delightful and extremely efficient. My room was spacious and well equipped with a pleasant view over the courtyard. A short exploration of the hotel revealed a classic English Country Inn. It's a little worn around the edges but the period features are so beautiful that it actually adds to the charm.
We dined in the large formal dining room which was lovely (if a little stuffy). Some visitors will love the 'Downton Abbey' style service I found it a little too 'starchy' but the staff were perfectly polite and incredibly helpful.
Initially the dining room was quite full but you could almost hear a pin drop over the noise of conversation.
Which was unfortunate because that led to one of only two criticisms I have of the Lygon Arms...the Muzak!
During the course of two dinners and two breakfasts I heard Vivaldis Four Seasons...eight times! I don't mind Vivaldi but it can't be that difficult to put a CD on with a little more variety.
The food was...fantastic. My colleagues are a fussy bunch but we all enjoyed every mouthful of every course.
It was sensational.
The menu is complimented by a very appealing wine list with an encouraging range of prices. We enjoyed several Bottles of Chenin Blanc which was excellent and not too expensive.
I dined alone on the second evening as I had another meeting the next day. Again everything was perfect apart from the wine being placed in a wine bucket four feet away from me. The wine-waiter who was a ruddy faced older man, was epitome of politeness but I became irritated waiting for him to refresh my glass. It's the norm in France and part of French etiquette...but it irrates me there too. It's something of an anachronism and isn't necessary (although two gentrified, elderly ladies loved the correctness of it all). Again, everything was delightful and one of the best meals I 've had this year?. A real treat.
Our billing arrangements are always complicated due to the nature of our expense accounts. This usually causes Reception Staff to panic. Not so this morning, ours bills were expertly worked out against our subsistence allowance. It was exemplary and fast.
We really did enjoy our stay here and I for one certainly intend to return in the very near future (but only if the Vivaldi CD is abandoned for a while!)
Steve Holland

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pie125
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We recently spent a long weekend at this historic hotel plus the added bonus of fine weather! The rooms and service were faultless,the meals were exceptional,being served in a magnificent Baronial style room with vast vaulted ceiling. The adjoining leisure/health complex was a nice distraction,although the pool water temperature did seem erratic. The village is very olde worlde,but chic with the Green,pubs,retaurants,galleries and superb `chippy. A good location for visiting Hidcote,Studely Castle and the famous "Pudding Club"! We will definitely return ..........

Room Tip: as usual,an upgrade is worthwhile
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fuzzyducks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!