“Not what it used to be, but still a good weekend away”
Review of The Lygon Arms

The Lygon Arms
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
London, United Kingdom
“Not what it used to be, but still a good weekend away”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Years ago, the Lygon Arms was part of the Savoy Group, and the service was second to none (as was the price), it has undergone several changes in ownership/management and from our recent weekend away, it appears to be getting better, although the service will never be what it once was. The hotel is beautiful, but if you want a big bed, then get a room in the new wing (ghastly in appearance, but they have king beds). The spa is in serious need of updating, which I think they have plans to do. But overall a bit dirty, a bit cold, and generally not inviting. However the massage I had there was wonderful with a great therapist. The food was fine - neither great nor horrible. But there are simple things like having a proper coffee maker in the room rather than a kettle and instant coffee that would go a long way to improving the overall quality of the hotel.

The staff were quite friendly except one episode when in the evening we were having a drink by a fireplace and the staff had allowed the fire to die down (not being at all attentive to the fact that we were in the room or even might need more drinks...example of the overall slip in service). My husband thought he was being helpful by adding logs to the fire, and no sooner had he done this but an employee rushed in and reprimanded him and accused him of trying to create a chimney fire. This public berating was completely unnecessary, and really spoiled our impression of the Valentine's evening we were having. The employee had many ways in which he could have handled this, and this was not the right one!

On the plus side however, Broadway as a town is lovely and much improved and is a fantastic place to take walks and look in shops.

Room Tip: We had one of the historic suites - lovely and historic. GREAT new bathroom. However the bed was V...
1 Thank scdlondonmom
A_Thwaites, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us. I appreciate your kind words about the hotel and please be assured that I will address the feedback that you have brought to my attention. I do hope I get the opportunity to show you the ongoing changes and improvements to the spa when you are next with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
Ripley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and daughter have just had a Spa Break weekend at the Lygon Arms. They described the experience as 'just perfect'. The standard of service and facilities was excellent and very good value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Peter A
A_Thwaites, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for posting a review after your stay at The Lygon Arms, Broadway and I am delighted to hear you had such a great stay. I do hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in The Cotswolds.
shrewsbury
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Fantastic weekend break! great service all round.we had a great room,very large with a queen sized bed and very comfortable it was too.The only down side was the fact that the staff didnt seem to know the bar prices,we were over charged twice and had to bring this to their attention as it has the prices in the drinks menu for us to see and you would think they would know them too! We used the pool and had some spa treatments and both were very good,the pool walls were abit shabby with paint peeling but this didnt spoil our enjoyment.We would stay again,anytime.

Room Tip: rooms at the front of the hotel have lots of character and are not spoilt by road noise. (room 36)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lilyshrewsbury
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your birthday treat here. Please be assured that I will address your feedback with regard to the bar and I do hope that I get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel some time soon to show you the changes being made to our leisure club and spa.
Protaras, Cyprus
Reviewed March 4, 2013

On arrival at the hotel we were impressed with the exterior and the internal layout did not disappoint – It is everything that you would want from a hotel with charm vs. that of a more clinical “same anywhere and in any city “ type.

It’s a great place to make your base and explore the surrounding regions.

The SPA does let the hotel down a little - it is tired and is in need of a makeover and basic repair to some fixtures and fittings’ . There are some areas where the cleaning could be improved – pool edges – Steam room.

I can’t remember the name of the chap who was managing the SPA during our stay – 30-40 year old but very helpful.

The breakfast is good (as a guest) and the evening dining is fantastic . We ate out most nights and on reflection for a little more cost £10-15 PH ( vs. the SWAN) we would have taken evening meals in the hotel.

Room 3 is to be avoided.

The hotel has changed hands recently and the manager Anthony Thwaites is keen to ensure that your stay is as good as it can be.

Room Tip: Do not Choose room 3
3 Thank Mike J
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to meet you during your time here and I appreciate your kind words. I do hope that I get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel some time soon to showcase the changes and alterations being made to our leisure club and spa.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Me and my friend booked a spa break away for one night, the hotel is set in a quaint,beautiful villiage in the cotswolds. All of the staff are so helpful, offered to park my car for me and take my luggage. Had Breakfast and a 3 course meal, the food is to die for! All courses and breakfast were cooked to such a high standard and the waiters wait on you hand and foot.

The spa treatments (massage and facial) were amazing, felt so relaxed afterwards, the spa was spacious, jacuzzi was so warm and didnt want to get out!

The room was large and bathroom was lovely, towels nice and fluffy. The hotel is so big so much to look at, there is a open log fire which you can relax by and is set by lots of lovely quaint shops you can look at.

Me and my friend were so impressed by everything we cant wait to go back again and have been telling friends and family what a wonderful stay we had.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank becki186220
A_Thwaites, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a response after your recent stay at The Lygon Arms and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in Broadway.
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We booked on line for a "romantic weekend break", with the Pool being a deciding factor. A little disapointed with the Spa complex, and found the water too cold for comfort. Having upgraded from the basic room rate, was a again a little disappointed in the room (83), which although very comfortable, lacked the charm I was expecting, the A/C unit seemed yto be rather loud and overpowering. Bathroom small and a little "tired". Restaurant excellent for both Dinner and Breakfast, and service throughout was friendly and efficient. Overall a lovely break.

Room Tip: No experience of rooms other than the one we had.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for recently staying with us and for taking the time to post a review. I am happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay and please be assured I will address the points you have raised. I do hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel some time soon.
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed on a short break deal and were delighted with room 7 (in the original old hotel). The bathroom was a good size and the 4-poster very comfy. (Two large adults may find the bed a little small). Staff throughout the hotel were generally happy and courteous. The spa was clean and as described in the brochure. We found the in house dining a little pretentious, but the food was of a good standard though not spectacular. Wine list was good but as you'd expect, pricey. Overall we were both very happy with our stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to The Lygon Arms some time soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Buckland Manor Country House Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,260 reviews
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!