“Quiet Country Retreat”
Review of Buckland Manor

Buckland Manor
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We made an impromptu visit to Buckland Manor having been recommended the hotel by friends. On arrival, the staff were extremely friendly and made us feel welcome. The location of the hotel is in a small village with no facilities so a car is needed if you want to visit restaurants other than the one within the hotel. The hotel grounds are very pleasant and we had a lovely view of the gardens and surrounding countryside from our room. Although our classic double room wasn't large, it was comfortable which included an ensuite with a bath, power shower and bathrobes with fresh fruit and complimentary mineral water supplied. Only negative comment, there was no full length mirror and the lighting at the dressing table wasn't great to apply make up. I had forgotten my iPhone charger so was really pleased when reception staff were able to lend me one. Although we didn't have an evening meal at the hotel, we did enjoy a delicious breakfast with lots of choice. We did feel that the dining room was very quiet so any conversations could be heard by fellow guests - perhaps some background classical music would have been appropriate. We did enjoy our overnight stay at Buckland Manor and would recommend it as a quiet getaway for exploring the Cotswolds.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CharlieWright

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Buckland for our first wedding anniversary. On arrival we were met by incredibly welcoming front of house staff who couldn't have been more helpful. We were shown to our beautiful room and enjoyed a bottle of champagne whilst we relaxed before Supper. Our room had a view across the delightful gardens and everything from the beautiful lamps, soft sheets and piping hot powerful shower was immaculate.

We decided to go for a walk around the grounds before supper. It is possible to walk all round the manor with ease, crossing little streams that pass under rocks and taking in the stunning scenery.

The Sommelier is a real character, impossibly polite with a vast knowledge of wines. He somehow already knows your name and it is a real pleasure to enjoy an aperitif either on the sun terrace, or reclining in a comfy armchair by one of the many crackling log fires.

The pièce de résistance, however, is the food. The menu is not large, five or six choices per course, but this is indicative of the craftsmanship that has gone into each course. The food is divine, the flavour combinations are sublime. Each course looks and tastes superb. This is easily the best meal I have ever had.

I have to send my biggest compliments about our stay to the Head Chef, though in truth, compliments are due all round. We had such an amazing stay and were so well looked after, that I have taken my entire family back there since.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeborahG440
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I took my wife to Buckland Manor for the night to celebrate our anniversary and it was every bit as amazing as we had hoped for. We were welcomed into this incredibly beautiful building and escorted to our room which was equally as breathtaking.

We were exceptionally well looked after from start to finish. we had champaign by the fire in one of the sitting rooms before sitting down to eat what was one of the most fantastic meals of our life.

In the morning we went for a walk around the secluded grounds which was a perfect way to finnish an unforgettable weekend.

Genuinely the best meal i have ever eaten. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My friend and I have been to Buckland Manor before and having had a good experience on our first visit we wanted to return. The whole experience was once more so lovely and we were made to feel so special. I have to say though we do come here for the food experience and once more we were not disappointed. The flavours and presentation of the food on the plate are so inspiring. If I was to pass a negative comment I do wish they would cover the tables with crisp white linen cloths or buy new polished tables! However, you have to come here for the food experience, wonderful! All though my friend and I had lunch I did over- hear a conversation by another guest saying that the afternoon teas and the scones in particular are a must! We will be back again in the summer and perhaps an afternoon tea in the lovely garden setting will be our treat then.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BeckiM505
Reviewed April 4, 2013

a beautiful spring day prompted me to return to " Buckland" to enjoy tea and scones, something that I have done many times over the years.Pricewise it has always been on the high side but because of the service and setting I have been delighted to pay. Unfortunately my visit visit this week was disappointing insomuch that my order was taken by the receptionist and phoned through to the kitchen, I assumed, that beause there were no menus on display somebody would come to ask me for my preferred blend of tea,or if there was anything else I would require. I waited nearly 15 minutes and then a pot of tea appeared(an unidentified blend) and was told that the scones would be ready shortly,I had almost drunk my tea before the scones arrived, a wait of nearly another 10 minutes.on departure I had to navigate my way through a party of about 15 people who had been squashed in to an inadequate space and then out to reception to pay my bill which was for £10.75 for, I REPEAT 1 pot of tea and 2 scones !!..Clearly the new owners are out to recoup their investment but should be aware that other country house hotels in and around the area offer full afternoon teas for not much more. I was so shocked by the price that I left without making a comment. I don't know whether the party of 15 were another impromptu party or whether it was pre-planned but I dread to think what their bill would come to for their tea.I think the current owners need to wake up to the fact that there are other establishments out there who offer excellent hospitality and at less outrageous prices.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Anne S
BMH11, General Manager at Buckland Manor, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank you for writing a review on your recent experience at Buckland Manor. I am very sorry to hear of your disappointing time. We strive to offer the highest level of service hear at Buckland and Afternoon Tea menu's should have been presented to you in the lounge. We did have a busy afternoon on the day you visited so it was unfortunately a little crowded in our lounges. I do hope you will return to Buckland Manor in the future so you can experience our usual high standards.

Nigel Power

Reviewed April 1, 2013

It was a cold Easter Monday with plenty of snow in the Cotswold hills but with a roaring fire, sat in a charming lounge sipping pre-dinner drinks, Buckland Manor was certainly the place to be. The three course lunch was excellent, as was the service. A delightful country house hotel experience and I look forward to visiting again. I would add that the wine list is truly exceptional and well worth exploring!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian T
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Chef knows what he is doing here at this amazing beautiful Country House Hotel.
Welcomed at the front entrance and escorted to the lounge for pre drinks. Felt as if I had been transported to another era!
Log Fires, squashy chairs, lovely decor, full of atmosphere and diners enjoying coffee or aperitifs.
Actually restaurant bright and sunny with views of gardens.
Food was exquisite. Although small sized portions, after 3 courses we were well sated
Nice surprise to see Tom, previously at Russells Broadway, had joined the Manor, and know he will definitely enhance your visit to this Hotel with his expertise.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karin60
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Dormy House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Buckland Manor? Share your experiences!