“An unforgettable experience”
Review of Dormy House Hotel

Dormy House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Reviewed March 30, 2014

a fantastic hotel with every convenience at hand. The staff attended to our every need and were always polite.

Really impressed with the in room technology which included a Samsung tablet where you could not only find information about the hotel and surrounding areas, but also allows you to book food and spa treatments from the comfort of our beautiful room.

All in all a fantastic place to celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary....roll on our 44th for a return visit!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Smyth778
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review and congratulations on your 43rd wedding anniversary. We are delighted that you chose to celebrate at Dormy House and we look forward to welcoming you back for your 44th!

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I call Dormy House a 'surprise' because we made an impromptu visit on the recommendation of Mr. and Mrs. Smith having made a fast and early exit from our Fawlty Towers hotel in Oxford. We spent 2 nights at Dormy in a 'Danish Court' room and really enjoyed ourselves. In fact we would have stayed longer had we not already made onward bookings.

Pros:

The room was really a small suite with a very comfortable king bed and a large bath + tub. The sitting room had a comfortable small sofa etc. and there is a small outdoor patio. The room enjoyed a very quiet situation opposite the hotel forecourt.

Breakfast was excellent --- prompt, with fresh juices and fruit etc.

Dinner in the "pub" was very good. Well crafted classics using quality ingredients.

Afternoon tea / cocktails by the fire in the sitting room was sublime.

The staff are universally attentive, professional and polite.

There are a couple of recommended hikes --- we did the Broadway Tower circuit of approx. 10 miles and really enjoyed it --- I think we experienced at least 3 significant weather changes in 4 hours. Bring Wellingtons!

Alas the spa + fitness room were not yet open during our stay but they looked very appealing, as did the rooms we toured in the 'new' wing.

Cons:

None really. The flat screen TV in our room needs updating ---- moreover it wasn't connected to the in-house movie library.

Wellingtons for the guests to borrow!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and choosing to stay with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. The spa has since opened and is well worth a visit and we have also now got 14 pairs of Hunter wellies available free of charge for guests to borrow! We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Every aspect of this hotel is superb. Large, well equiped (Samsung tablet, large TV, and high quality DAB radio included) and tastefully decorated rooms; modern, well equiped and stylish spa facilities including a reasonably sized pool and external secluded hot tub; comfortable and cosy lounges with open fires: excellent food that is fairly priced; friendly staff; easily accessible from A -roads but far away enough to be quiet, near to Broadway Tower with amazing views and close to other Cotswolds villages and towns. Will definately visit again. Thank you Dormy House Hotel for making our stay so special.

Room Tip: Top Notch Room is superb (although note that it is separate to the hotel and 20 yards from the front...
1  Thank RichardAJones

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed here the weekend before last in one of their "splendid" rooms, had dinner in the Garden Room restaurant and also used the Spa facilities. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend the hotel.

The room and hotel decor were all excellent and beautifully finished, with every comfort you could wish for. Service was top notch virtually all the time (slight slip pre-dinner, when our drinks order seemed to slip into a black hole, but we'll let that go!), and the food in the Garden Room both for dinner and breakfast was delicious. The spa was also lovely.

The only bit we didn't enjoy was listening to a fellow customer bang on over dinner in the Garden Room with a series of complaints. Whether they were justified or not I don't know, but when you hear things like "we eat out a lot and you're 95% there", and "your wine isn't expensive enough" , you get the measure of someone who's a little too full of their own self importance, but not sufficiently self-aware to realise that they are disturbing their fellow guests....... Can't blame the hotel for that!!

Excellent. We'd more than happily return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for your review and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Dormy House. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and the spa and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I'm a little sad that I couldn't award 5 stars but there were a few little things that prevented me from doing so and I will talk about those later. Firstly the positives, it's been beautifully refurbished and the addition of the spa is fantastic. We stayed in the Loft which was a fantastic room, great lighting and good technology with everything being available to order via a tablet...great idea and worked well. We ate in both restaurants and the standard of food was good overall. The staff are very friendly and what some of them lack in experience they make up for in smiles and genuine interest. Now for the negatives, we had breakfast in our room on both mornings; on the first morning we ordered it at 0930 and it arrived at 0955 which was annoying as we had planned to get out earlier than we did because of that. On the second morning the breakfast arrived on time but one of the eggs benedict wasn't cooked and had to be sent back and reordered which totally disrupted the entire leisurely breakfast and by the time the second one arrived appetites were lost! For us, when we go away for a weekend which we do a lot our room service breakfast is one of our favourite things as we rarely get to do it in the week. The other thing is that as lovely as the spa is it was fully booked with no space at all for us hotel guests. I had pre booked a facial but my partner and I would have liked to have had some more treatments and couldn't which was irritating. The spa could also benefit from a small shop with swim wear for those who forget theirs as we did! All in all we had a lovely weekend but it could have been better had we not experienced the above. They are almost there but not quite based on my experience.

1  Thank lovestravel65

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your experience. We are really sorry about the errors that were made with your room service breakfast and appreciate that this spoiled your trip a little. We have taken your feedback on board and will ensure that this is looked at. We do hope that you will return in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed overnight in their "splendid room" apart from the cheesy name this was an amazing place to stay. The hotel setting is stunning just outside chipping campden and broadway in the glorious Cotswolds countryside. The hotel is a stunning mixture of old Cotswold architecture and stunning modern interiors. Everything about this hotel was 1st class from the really friendly and helpful staff all beautifully presented, through to decor aNd the attention to detail. We were too late to book the restaurant so ate in the brasserie but the food was lovely, so by the way was breakfast the best I've experienced and service perfect and the ambience was just so relaxing. Sadly we didn't have time to use the spa and the weather was such we couldn't fully enjoy the grounds but we will when we return which believe you me we will. This is not a cheap hotel so if price is a major concern then I'm sure there are much cheaper places to stay. We payed £300 for one night but worth it. I've stayed at some expensive hotels before and frankly the owners of these so called four star hotels should go and stay at the Dormy House and see how it's really done!

Put a stay here on your bucket list even if you only stay once for some special occasion. Well done management and thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again soon where we hope you have more time to enjoy the Spa and the grounds.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

It is always with some trepidation that I try a new country house hotel in the UK; the instant association with decades old chintz fabric is enough to stop me from jumping in the car. It is thanks to sites such as this that one can venture forth with certainty over what awaits at the other end. As it happened, I had enjoyed lunch at Dormy House some months ago, and had found the décor so refreshing and the promise of a new spa too tempting to resist so I had to book a weekend stay!

I arrived late, but the moment I was in the hotel, the charming and helpful staff made me feel right at home and whisked my bags up to my room. My room was in the “splendid” category, and indeed that is exactly what it was. Even though it was in the new wing it still had feature beams (albeit RSJs rather than ancient timbers) with lofty ceilings, comfortable furniture, stylish décor and a lovely bathroom with a distressed steel bathtub and separate shower cubicle. The heated floor and excellent water pressure ensured that it was functional as well as aesthetically pleasing. An ipad style tablet was in lieu of the more standard hardback guest services and room service directory. This in itself shows forward thinking as well as providing on demand services; I accidentally ordered an ironing board and iron and before I’d had time to telephone housekeeping to cancel it, someone had already knocked on my door! At times the system was a bit glitchy as it restarted every so often and items were no longer available to order, but then of course the telephone still works! A Nespresso machine, high quality teas and homemade shortbread biscuits completed the thoughtful touches.

The very recently opened spa was superb. The décor flows with the rest of the hotel, and it was a simply wonderful area in which to spend time. There is a swimming pool, and a thermal suite as well as an outdoor Jacuzzi; the design and quality is something that I have not experienced in an English country house hotel. The spa is better than Coworth Park, which not only is in a higher category than this property (and a lot more expensive), but somewhere that I rank as being one of the best country house hotels in the UK. Needless to say I spent several hours lounging around and making use of the spa facilities. There is also a spa restaurant that serves very reasonably priced light meals and drinks in a bright and airy space completed with a central circular glass fireplace.

I managed to try all of the hotel restaurants and was happy with everything that was served. The more casual one, The Potting Shed, is very reasonably priced for country pub style food – their crumble that is served in a pastry case (so a sort of crumble tartlet) with both fresh custard and ice cream is a delight. The Garden Room which is their fine dining restaurant offers a reasonable £40 for three courses a la carte menu with about half a dozen choices for each course. The quality of the food and attention to detail was very good, and the rhubarb crumble soufflé was simply sublime. My only criticism would be that the service lacked attention at times, with too much time being taken to clear plates and present the menu. That said, it did not detract from a most pleasant evening, but it would be nice to see just that little bit more polish. Breakfast was also excellent with an interesting and broad array of continental items served buffet style – their freshly made bircher muesli and homemade granola is a must try. Hot items are available to order, which is very sensible as it ensures everything is as it should be rather than potentially having sat around.

I never normally comment on the price, but at this property all the “extras” such as meals, and drinks are very reasonably priced so that overall it delivers truly excellent value for money.

The only negative for me, and this is nit picking... if you are reading this you will fall into one of two camps, either you will completely and utterly understand this issue or you will roll your eyes, and think life’s too short to care! The car parking spaces as marked out are rather narrow as well as the gap between spaces on opposite sides of the car park being rather too close to one another. I expect that they are a “standard” size (whatever that means) but most of the cars were not superminis so they were very tightly packed together, and I watched several people doing multi-point manoeuvres to try and get out of their spaces. This is just a little attention to detail that really would make all the difference to people who care about these things (and trust me, there are lots of us!) – in my opinion simply too many spaces have been crammed into too small an area. If everyone is very careful – or all cars have to be valet parked - then of course it doesn’t really matter, but there will always be someone who accidentally opens a door onto another car, and this simply increases the likelihood of that occurring.

All this said, I am looking forward to finding time for another leisurely weekend at what must be one of the finest contemporary country house hotels in England.

1  Thank IntlTraveller21stc
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Thank you for such a lovely review of the hotel and our new House Spa and we are so pleased that you chose to stay with us and to hear that you regard us as one of the best Country House Hotels in the UK. A wonderful compliment. We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Buckland Manor
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Dormy House Hotel? Share your experiences!