“lovely 2 nights break”
Review of The Broadway Hotel

The Broadway Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Reviewed May 4, 2010

romantic hotel, gorgeous surroundings, a real short honey moon..

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 18, 2010

This hotel, nestled behind trees and the village green, is well decorated and attractive. The lawned garden at the rear is beautifully lept and the courtyard garden with pond is a lovely place to sit, weather permitting. This is overlooked by a comfortable conservatory. The reception greeting was warm and friendly. There is a badly torn seat in the bar. Our room was comfortable and clean with several extras. The breakfasts were excellent, plenty of choices. Dinner leaves a lot to be desired. Manager is not professional. Service unpredictable, sometimes laughable, no apologies ever given. Menu looks ok at first but almost same every night (tweaked a little). Food badly presented. Tough meat every night, the same two vegetables, green beans and carrots every night. Same four desserts every night, maybe one changed. Stay here but only for bed and breakfast.!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Decided to treat my father in law to lunch for his birthday. Everything was wonderful until dessert! Salty tiramisu. I asked waitress why our tiramisus were salty, and response from the chef was that it was meant to taste like that. I don't think they had heard of mascapone and used some cheap substitute and added salt rather than sugar. We all felt quite ill.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Stayed here for my birthday on 1st April. Room lovely, food lovely. Poor service in the Jockey Bar in daytime. Beach Boys cd played over and over in Restaurant, asked if music could be changed, but told by waitress, "sorry it's the managers favourite". Same cd stll playing when we left . Apalled at attitude about music, I was a paying guest and shouldn't be subjected to the manager's musical taste, once or twice would have been ok, but all night was excessive!. Nearly drove me crazy! Young chap on reception in evening, didn't even acknowledge us on way in or out, he was too busy looking at personal stuff on computer. The service could be so much better.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2010

My wife and I stayed there for a 2 night break en route from another location to visit our son in the West Country. We were given a top floor attic room at the front overlooking the main street on a bed, breakfast and evening meal deal for £110 per day, what value! The room was small and one could not stand up straight in parts of the room and the exposed beams, thoughout the whole plave had been overpainted, in our room with cream paint. The evening meal was a little rushed for some unknown reason, the plates and knives/forks being removed whilst one was still digesting the last mouthful with the next course then being presented. On the second night the manager/owner(?) was absent and the meal was not as professionally organised, a wine bottle was placed on the table with no offer to even open it (or taste it) (screw top), with the same rushed event and water only being supplied on a second request to a different member of staff. the dessert was lemon tart with clotted cream; it came without the cream and on being asked a member of staff said 'Oh clotted cream' and produced from the kitchen a jug of pouring double cream and as it was placed on the table said, 'clottted cream'.
The hotel is made up of three premises, all opened up on the inside to make a medium sized establishment, there is free car parking behind the barrier controlled entrance and in a good area to visit many Cotswold villages and towns. Depite being on the main street we did not notice any road or pedestrian noise whatsoever.
The meals, despite being rushed, were of excellent quality and were very well presented and could not be faulted, we would have no hesitation in recommending it to others and look forward to another visit.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This was to be a weekend of quality time to celebrate my special birthday and valentine. On booking the staff where friendly and helpful. We arrived to find a rather dismal hotel inside, painted black of all colours. Our bedroom was small and the bathroom full of mildew, toilet seat broken ,shower broken, sink cracked big time ,no extractor fan . ( very romantic in a bathroom with no windows) Spent the night listening to constant water running , another night listening to other guests throwing up ( walls are very thin!!) and a TV blaring and yes .....another reviewer was right...... the heating so hot I thought I had ended up in Egypt it was so hot. The bathroom was never cleaned properly and every day the sanitary bin was not emptied and hairs that had been on floor on arrival where still there three days later. As for the food the menu was the same three nights on the trot . If you liked fish or shell fish you where ok, but buggered if you did not, and wait for it ...Vegetarians, there is nothing on the menu for you . The manager a pompous arrogant man who did not give a flying monkeys that my special day had been so spoilt. We had a lovely meal and was treated like royalty in the local brassiere by budgens( really do recommend the food there). When we did eat in the restaurant the next night , the food was bland, very little of it . Oh and yes as for the car park, if you are lucky you can get a parking space, its very small and does not have enough spaces for rooms. Also there is only one disabled parking space which is difficult to park into. So this is a very poor 3 star hotel pretending to be 4 star and taking your money on false pretence.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maam99
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Without doubt the worst nights sleep I have ever had to endure in a hotel! Where to start.

The shower was unusable. It would not heat up or cool down as you wanted it, which made it impossible to use. It was also extremely weak, a trickle at best. Not what you expected in a hotel with this reputation / quality. Given that we had to go out almost immediately after showing, my partner and I left and did not pass reception on the way out to raise this.

We arrived back at the hotel at gone midnight to find no one at the front desk. We went into our room and you could not comprehend how unbelievably hot it was in there! The radiator was on full blast, even though the dial was on zero - so there was nothing we could do but open the windows and try and get some sleep in the blistering heat. However, the wind was howling and the rain lashing down so needless to say we were being kept awake by the noise. Given we got in at 12.30am, I was still awake at 3.00am because of the heat. When I eventually fell asleep I kept waking up every hour or so due to the heat. There was no porter at the reception and no number by the phone to contact anyone so they could fix the radiator.

The next morning we went for breakfast only to find that our package, sold to us as bed and breakfast, was room only and breakfast was chargeable at £13 per person! Given what we had paid already to stay there for such an awful nights sleep, we upped and left.

I complained as soon as I got back to London and the manager, Peter Dann, was extremely rude and dismissive ("If you didn't complain at the time there's nothing we can do"). I pointed out that at 3am, with an ill partner, no porter at the desk, no number to phone from my room it was impossible for us to do so. I also pointed out that in the morning we left as quickly as we could after the horrendous nights "sleep", again he just dismissed our complaint and said there is nothing he could do. Laughably his reply about the broken radiator in the room was that the heating in the hotel is controlled not on the radiator itself but within areas of the hotel - so the heating that served our room also served 5 others, and 2 other rooms had requested it be left on overnight! So even though you have a radiator in your room with a dial to control the temperature don't expect to use it - and your room will be unbearably hot because of it. I am now going to send a letter to the head office of the chain in the hope I can get some compensation for such an awful stay in what was dubbed the best hotel in the cotswolds.

On the whole I found the staff pleasant and the room clean but the service, terrible maintenance of the place and rude manager made it unbearable to stay in. I will NOT be coming here again - very disappointed!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Backseatsman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
The Lygon Arms
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to The Broadway Hotel? Share your experiences!