“Great wines”
Review of 18 Restaurant

18 Restaurant
Ranked #149 of 248 Restaurants in Windsor
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Eighteen restaurant in the Mercure Castle Hotel in Windsor knows how to deliver the royal treatment in a town that���s used to royalty. Decorated in regal purples with many of it���s Grade II listed features still intact, Eighteen���s sophisticated menu draws on an international range of both classic and modern influences that will certainly impress any foodie. Start with tortellini of langoustine and move on to honey roasted duck breast with Madeira sauce. Boths starters and mains offer excellent choices for vegetarians, and desserts showcase sensitive new twists to old favourites. With the Mercure Castle Hotel just a two minute walk from the main gate of Windsor Castle, it���s a perfect location for a royally good weekend getaway.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We ate here as part of a package with the Mercure Hotel and had the 5 course tasting menu. The food was beautifully presented and accompanied by some lovely wines chosen by the very helpful sommellier. I would say that I almost preferred the wine rather than the food though, some of the choices on the set menu may not cater to everyones tastes (e.g.foie gras, ham hock and rabbit terrine which was nice, but my first experience of eating rabbit, which I will not be repeating) but then I understand with a set menu the idea is not to choose! A lovely dining experience though.

1  Thank Lou_Lou84
ALBERT1818, Manager at 18 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Lou_Lou84
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. I will be delighted to share your positive feedback with the team and hope we can welcome you back to 18 Restaurant in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Albert Tenkorang
Assistant F&B manager

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We visited as part of a 30 person Group. Went into the restaurant at 1.00p.m.. Were given a bread roll after 10 mins, then waited nearly 30 mins for any other service. The service was incredibly slow.
Vegetables rather more than al dente.
Ladies cloakroom 2 .5 flights of stairs up..no lift!!
Best thing about our visit was the company. Service terrible.

3  Thank leafyschroder
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

We were welcomed by a very classy old fashioned waiter.
Fresh baked scones: crispy and not too sweet.
Large jug of tea.
I couldn't decide if I want a nice juice and I chose a coke instead, but I got free amazing fresh grape juice- yuuum.
A really great experience to have a cream tea here in Windsor. Better than other cream tea places I have visited so far in Windsor.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We had the good fortune to eat at 18 Restaurant, located in the Mercure Windsor Castle Hotel, on a very quiet night. While the rain poured outside, we were warm and cosy, being treated like, well - not royalty, but something pretty darned close. The food was delicious and the wines were pefectly complimentary. Would love to revisit.

Reviewed December 25, 2011

Paid £75 per head for Christmas lunch (four courses). The service was the worst I've experienced in many years. We received our first course of soup before we'd even been given the wine list. The soup was cold and we had to send it back. The white wine we chose was warm and we had to send that back as well. The second bottle was just as warm. The main course and desert were both very average (how can you mess up Christmas lunch!) and took ages to arrive. When paying so much we were expecting close to Michelin standards. What we got was worse than pub food. No one checked to see if we were happy until we came to pay our bill. I was so angry at the end I told the manager precisely what I thought. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

5  Thank Gus B