“Great al fresco dining”
Review of The Greene Oak

The Greene Oak
Reserve with OpenTable
The Greene Oak is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 249 Restaurants in Windsor
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Greene Oak is ideally situated on the edge of Windsor with easy access from the centre of town as well as local business parks and LegoLand, with ample free parking. The pub believes in using fresh,locally sourced food, simply prepared and beautifully presented for it's predominately British menus. A great place for lunch, dinner or a party with either friends, family or business colleagues.
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Managed to eat outside in the last of the warm weather, and unlike pubs with beer gardens, this outside space really is an extension of the restaurant inside. Excellent service to the table and a very high standard of food and interesting menu. It's way more than a gastropub. However, it doesn't get 5 stars from me because it's also way more expensive than a gastropub - I knew this before I went having seen the menu online, so it's not really a criticism, but for me, the VFM wasn't quite there for a steak and chips. Do recommend though.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a nice place. About the only complaint that it is sometimes hard to get into - not a surprise because the food is above average at least and sometimes outstanding but always good value.

Service is good, wine list is extensive and the outdoor area very pleasant if there is any hint of sun.

Would definitely recommend booking at bsier times.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Thanks to the reviews of our B&B we came into this restaurant.
We really enjoy our dinner and pints!!!
The place has a nice atmosphere and superb decoration!!!
Who says that English cuisine is not good!!!!
The people who work there are very kind!!!
Please,spaniards,come to this place and probably you'll eat better than in some places in Spain!!!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I loved the Greene Oak. We'd just arrived in England from a long-haul flight from Australia and this was the first place we went to, to have dinner. What a wonderful introduction to England. It is a charming english pub in a delightful country setting. We had a lovely meal of baked camembert, duck and gnocchi. We thought the price of our meal and drinks was reasonable. We loved it and highly recommend it.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I have visited the Greene Oak several times, and recently visited twice in a couple of weeks. As the title suggests, we have never had a bad meal here.

The restaurant is nicely decorated in a typical 'gastro pub' style, and the ambience is always excellent. It's always busy, meaning there is some level of chatter around you, but not so much you can't have a conversation. Besides, who wants to eat in eerie quiet feeling like everyone is listening in? My husband and I are both in our early 30s and I have never noticed the previously mentioned 'saga louts' - there is always a good mix of ages and couples/groups/families. As usual, we received a warm welcome and attentive service, with my wine brought out with my main meal just as requested!

On our last visit, my husband had the excellent chicken liver parfait, and I had the very tasty vine tomato and black pepper soup. Another reviewer criticised the size of the soup, but my portion size was ample, given that this is only a starter (and I eat quite a lot!). We also had plenty of bread, and were offered more between courses.

For our main course, we shared the chateaubriand which was melt in the mouth (although we both agreed it wasn't quite as good as the last time we had it, although we couldn't pinpoint exactly why). The chips are amazing (and very hot!) and by the end of the meal we were both full to bursting. It's very rare that neither of us can manage a dessert, but we had to decline on this occasion.

Another reviewer mentioned the limited menu, however I believe this reflects the restaurant's commitment to using local and seasonal produce. Having visited twice in two weeks, I can also confirm that the menu was slightly different, in keeping with this ethos.

The Greene Oak will remain as our 'go to' place when we want to celebrate a special occasion.