“Delicious free taster - disappointing lunch”
Review of Drury House

Drury House
Ranked #97 of 242 Restaurants in Windsor
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 17Th Century English Bar and Restaurant just 50 yards from Windsor Castle's King Henry VIII Gate. Fully licensed bar, serving traditional Ales and local beers.
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“Delicious free taster - disappointing lunch”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We saw a lady with free yorkshire pudding and gravy tasters outside of Drury house, we were happy to choose this pub to have a nice warm food after a cold and wet visit in the castle. Unfortunately our excitement stayed outside. We needed to wait for 25 mins to get told that they ran out of one of our starters. The Sunday roasts were very poor quality, the carrots were cold and raw, the yorkshire pudding wasn't cooked fully. No surprise that the dish was not hot enough as I got my main course about 10 mins after my husband got his. We needed to send the plates back to heat them up again but it seems the extra minutes still were not enough.
The free gorgeous taster tempted many customers in but obviously the pub cold not cope with the amount of guests.

• Visited September 2012
Steven T, Owner at Drury House, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for the time you have taken to write a review. I am very sorry for the slow response it has been a demand first year I hope you can understand.
We look forward to serving you when we see you again.
All the best
Steve

“A gem among all the tourist traps”
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Stopped here for dinner with my dad while on a quick layover at Heathrow. We walked around Windsor browsing the menus and picked Drury House as soon as we read the menu. This is far and away the best restaurant in Windsor. The new owner and his wife have really put a lot of effort into designing a appealing menu at sub £20 prices. We spent a considerable amount of time talking with them about the building (which has its own story to tell) and taking over the restaurant. We had the roasted scallop starter, grilled duck and leg of lamb. All were amazing. The best part was possibly the apple crumble for dessert. Really glad we looked around and found the Drury House.

Steven T, Owner at Drury House, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you very much for the kind words and the time you have taken to write a review. I am very sorry for the slow response it has been a demand first year I hope you can understand.
It lifts everybody to hear the feed back from our guests, cleared plates are a great sign but to hear the responses is heart warming. We look forward to serving you when we see you again.
All the best
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“Drury House - excellent lunch.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you are ever in Windsor and want an excellent lunch on a low budget, you could not do better than the Drury house - a 400 year old building that has apparently been a restaurant for over 100 years, with what appears to be an original interior with panelled walls. - in the shadow of Windsor Castle. The cost of Two steak lunches was under £20! Excellent beef, well cooked and speedily delivered even though the restaurant had just been invaded by a bunch of oriental tourists, who were 2 1/2 hours late and making demands on the staff's time and attention. The staff remained calm, professional, attentive and cheerful, under very difficult circumstances. An example of this is; I am a real ale drinker and I mentioned to a fellow diner that the locally brewed bottled ale was very good but it was a shame it was kept in the cold cabinet. The owner over-heard me and went to the cellar to get me some bottles at cellar temperature! - Wow! He also took the time to chat with us. I left a tip even though the service was included in the bill. Needless to say the bill was slightly more than the cost of the meal - but as I bought some of the beer to take away I was still pleasantly surprised at the modest price. The best lunch time dining experience my wife and I have had for a long time.

• Visited September 2012
Steven T, Owner at Drury House, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
We are very pleased you enjoyed your experience with us, I remember that night well :) we had a lot of running about. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback I am sorry for the late response I had my hands full. We look forward to warmly welcoming you again and making sure you enjoy Windsor's best Ale the way it should be served!

Rochester, Minnesota, United States
“Like eating at home!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Go go go!  You will not be disappointed by their hospitality, service and pride.  I left feeling buoyant and satisfied on all counts.  The servers were engaged, attentive, and happy to work there.  They shared stories about growing up in the area and whether they had experience meeting Royalty or not.  They were down-to-earth and delightful.  We even got a view of the underground tunnel that Charles I had built for his mistress!  The manager came out and chatted with his guests also.  It was like eating at home surrounded by elegance; the perfect finishing touch to a day at the Windsor Castle!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Susan T
Steven T, Owner at Drury House, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for you kind review I hope to see you again.
Palisades Park, New Jersey
“Historic site and new Chef!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband was looking for Beef Wellington the whole time we were visiting the UK. We were walking around Windsor, on August 10, 2012, looking for a place to eat and spied this little restaurant having a party. The Photographer for the event told us it was their opening night party and we should come back for dinner before we left for home as the new chef was exceptional. We were very glad we did. The owner of the restaurant (which was built in 1645 for Nell Gwyn, Charles II's favorite mistress) had only just hired a the chef and made changes to the menu and the staff. Everyone was pleasant and the the food delicious. A place you should try if your in Windsor. Ask the owner for more about the history of the site and don't forget the order the Beef Wellington.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank giannaconi
Steven T, Owner at Drury House, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for you kind review I hope to see you again.