Oscar Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsboiled eggswould stay againwindsor hotelpleasant stayshort stayhigh streetracecoursecastle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I saw from the other reviews this was barebones and that's why I chose it. Big mistake! It wasn't barebones -- bad service would be a step up -- there was no service. And, whenever I had a problem and could find someone (they would often hide from me and other guests), I was told it was my fault and I had to figure out a remedy. Plus, it is right beside a school and I was often woken to loud sounds of either construction, school bells, or screaming children.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank rebircs
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I usually try give good reviews .. but not for this one. I booked the Hotel online with Hotels.Com, for 1 nights stay at £55. This was because all the other Hotels in Windsor were fully booked..... The Hotel looked ok from the front, It has a small but ample car park at the rear. But as you enter the reception area you notice the poor decor and cleanliness. The Asian gentleman that booked me in and gave me my room key was polite and courteous. I stayed in a double room, purely because even though I was on my own I like a large bed... I was put in room 11 on the top floor, the decor throughout the hotel can only be described as "shabby " and poorly maintained. My room was ample size, but this was the only positive. The furniture was like something from a second hand / charity store. The bed linen was thread bare, and had stains. The walls had various stains and marks on them. There was no central heating only a small portable electric heater. The bathroom was to the same level of cleanliness as the bedroom... I didn't even bother with breakfast, I thought it was the safest bet... I travel on business all over the world and have stayed in various levels of accommodation from the best to the worst.. This hotel most definitely rates in t the worst category... I don't like writing poor or negative reviews or feedback, but I feel its only right to let someone else know. Because if I'd read a review that was a true reflection on this hotel before I booked it, I would have saved myself £55...
so yes I've learnt a lesson, when you book a hotel in the middle of one of the most beautiful and historical places in our fantastic country. And the cost is only £55 bed and breakfast, it's not because it's value for money and a quality establishment... so as my dad used to say, you get what you pay for in life. So next time I'll pay more and get more....

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank raga300
Reviewed July 24, 2009

First of all, let me prefice this review by saying I generally write very positive reviews and tend to make the best of every situation while traveling. I am easy to please and don't take writing the following lightly.
Let me start with the two good things about this place: the owner/manager was very nice and the location is good for seeing Windsor Castle and getting to Heathrow without staying at the airport itself.
Now for the rest of the story. I have never stayed at such a bare-bones, low budget operation and paid so much to do so. We stayed in room 14 at the very top of the hotel. The room had the tiniest "double" bed I've ever encountered. There was 1 very thin, very low quality blanket which didn't fit the bed. The bedding was uncomfortable. There was 1 tiny, thin towel for each of us. There is no closet or wardrobe just a coat rack. The furniture had to be second or third hand at best. There wasn't even a clock in the room! The bathroom was clean enough but the light was burned out. Thankfully there was a skylight in there. There was no hairdryer in the room but the owner loaned me one.
We came back after a day of sightseeing to find that there was no housekeeping service. I didn't care about the bed being made up or room tidied, but there were no fresh towels, clean coffee cups or bath products.
Windsor is a noisy place to stay due to the location near Heathrow so the hotel can't be faulted for that but there were so many strange noises in the hotel. It sounded like water was constantly running through the walls. It wouldn't seem that strange except we were at the very top of the building. All the rooms are built around a main stairway so there is lots of door opening and closing noise combined with the rattle of very old-fashioned keys. Although I know it's not uncommon in Europe, I don't like the feeling of locking myself in with the key or leaving the door unlocked while I sleep.
The self-serve continental breakfast served in the "lounge" was perfectly adequate. We found a couple nice pubs in the neighborhood with good food and drink.
This was basically my last choice in my desired price range for a place to stay in Windsor. I think I learned my lesson. I should have known something was up when I was asked to pay upfront and the sign at the registration desk said there were "no refunds". I know I definitely won't stay at the Oscar Hotel again and I doubt I will stay in Windsor again. Next time I'll add a day onto my time in London and do Windsor as a day trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan B
Reviewed October 8, 2008

I stayed at the oscar hotel for two nights. It is a pleasant, cosy hotel.

The rooms are spacious and very clean. The breakfast is also very good as they serve a continental style breakfast so you can help yourself.

Also the guy at the reception desk is very helpful, as he gave me a leaflet so I can go to a few of the hot spots in and around Windsor.

Over all, I would defenitely stay there again. It is good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank EsteeLiverpool
Reviewed April 18, 2008

I've just come back from a three night (well, 2, we cut it short) stay here with my husband.

We were delayed on the way due to bad weather and a tyre blowout, but we kept the owner informed as to where we were, but this didn't stop him complaining when we finally did get there. We weren't informed of any arrangements for breakfast, and had to lug all our possessions up the stairs without any help.

The room was ok, a bit small, but clean enough. However, the room wasn't serviced once during our stay, so we got no towels (there weren't enough for two people as it was), no more coffee or milk. I did ask for these, but we never received them.

On checking out, the owner made no reference to us leaving early, didn't ask if everything had been ok, and was less than impressed at us paying by debit card, saying, "can't you pay cash?"

All in all, an ok place to stay, as it was clean, but I would not describe the place as friendly, and at no time were we asked for any assurances that our stay was ok. Benefits are that it is cheap, and only a ten minute walk into Windsor.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business