“You get what you pay for”
Review of Oscar Lodge

Oscar Lodge
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was my fault for choosing a hotel on price. I was staying one night by myself in the Slough area, and thought 'how bad can it be? It's Windsor.' Yes, I know.
It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good. The rooms were cramped, and somehow looked seedy. The bed was hard, the bedding thin. There is a car park, but it's small. The proprietor had to stand there waving me in as I navigated my car into the one remaining space.
I thought when I'd booked on-line that breakfast was included, but when I checked in, was told that it wasn't, but I could pay in advance for a reservation, which I did. The next morning I was up and ready to go, flight to catch. That's when I discovered breakfast wouldn't open for another hour. Too bad, I'm going, let's just write this one off to experience - if I can get my car into that slot I can get it out again, and that's what I did.

Room Tip: I can't offer a tip.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeff P

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I am a total hotel snob, and usually only stay in 5 star hotels or Trip Advisor top 10 suggestions. However, I wanted a cheap place to stay for a two night visit to the Royal Windsor Horse Show, and jumped in and booked this place, based on location and price. I couldn't have been happier. Ignore reviews that say the location is poor - it is a pleasant stroll into central Windsor and everything is highly accessible. Although not plush, the rooms are a good size, well equipped, warm and clean, and the bed was really comfy. The manager was exceptional, and couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. I didn't have breakfast but it was there if required. It was 100% more pleasant than staying in a Travelodge, and such good value for money. I will definitely return, and will recommend to all my friends as an ideal place to stay if you want a quick stop over.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 14, 2013

On arrival first impressions said it all!!! Dirty windows, dirty net curtains and boot scuff marks on the corridor and room walls. The whole establishment was cold. There was mould growth in the bathroom and it was dirty. It was evident that the room had not been cleaned after previous guests. It was very uncomfortable to sleep in a bed that had someone else's hair and nail clipping in :-( Thank god breakfast wasn't an option!! On paying the bill there was no official receipt or headed paper...we drove off and didn't look back we recommend that you do the same. This is not an ideal location if your visiting Windsor, this establishment is a good 15 to 20 minute walk.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 545MicheleC545
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here with my young son on 22 March 2013. The en suite's toilet was blocked and it stank. I asked for it to be cleaned as soon as I arrived and though they promised it would be done asap, it was still like that 3 days later. When I complained they turned the heating off. The temperature was freezing and it was snowing. Throughout the entire stay, we were given only ONE towel. The glasses and cups provided were filthy. When I asked for a different room they said it was completely booked out even though it was empty. The 'breakfast' was stale bread and wrinkly apples with the same jug of old juice trundled out each morning covered in cling film. When I asked the staff their names, they refused to tell me and when I asked for a legal receipt they could not provide one.

Room Tip: there are other bed and breakfasts around the area - check around!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Aine N
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Went with my boyfriend for one night, it was very cheap so we knew it wasn't going to be The Ritz. Private car park which is quite rare in this area, although it did have overflowing bins and a mattress in it. Staff seemed nice and friendly although they didn't seem very professional rolling fags at reception. Room was bigger than I thought, quite spacious but creaky floorboards! TV was big, worked well and had Freeview. The hotel seemed quite run down, bad decor, and had a general feeling of dodginess to it. Shower was good after it got going, bathroom door didn't shut properly but this wasn't much of a problem to us anyway. Complimentary hot drinks, water and crisps in the room which was good. The milk they provided was disgusting and lumpy though and they didn't provide stirrers.

The £3 breakfast was simple but enjoyable, a decent cup of tea with proper milk, toast, cereal etc. Filled me up but wasn't as nice as a cooked breakfast would have been, but definitely cheaper. Think the orange juice may have been out of date though as it tasted very sour? The location wasn't as good as I thought but I think we took a long route to get into the main town, but it was still very good value for what we paid. I wouldn't stay for longer than a night, but it did the job.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Location of the hotel is convenient, but there no restaurant or bar around. You have to walk 10-15min to the centre of the town for any services.
We haven't stayed in a worse place than this yet. The room was spacious, equipped with tea&coffee facilities, TV and so on, but it was so dirty.. There was a proper rich layer of dust on everything, I don't think the carpet was vacuum cleand for past month or two.. even though the bed and bathroom were pretty clean, at least!
we didn't get the breakfast there, we found it expensive to pay 3GBP for Roll&Jam..
I wouldn't stay there again, never..

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MyskaHryzka
Reviewed October 28, 2012

At the time of booking this was one of the cheapest guest houses in Windsor (I wouldn't describe it as a hotel). Perhaps this should have been a warning. The place has a general air of scruffiness and grubbiness (although the room itself was a good size and quite nicely furnished). It was a very cold night but the heating in our room wasn't working and there was a tiny electric heater which barely made a difference. The bathroom was freezing. The continental breakfast (at £3) was very poor. No muesli, white bread only, instant coffee and one flavour of jam only (no marmalade or other alternatives). However, in its favour I will say that it does have a decent car park at the rear and is a fifteen minute walk from the town centre and railway station. Car parking in Windsor is a real bonus. As I say, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple