“Individual hotel with river views”

Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
Berkshire
“Individual hotel with river views”
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

The hotel comprises of multiple period buildings by Eton bridge. Great garden with river views and the breakfast room is beside the water.
Check-in on a Friday evening was very slow, staff tried to help with paperwork but only one person and terminal seemed to be able to complete the process. Finally checked in, I was helped to my room. Top floor in the main building, lots of steps, turns and corridors. This is a very cute rabbit warren. The upper floor is not suitable for anyone who struggles with stairs. Room was lovely, with a clean bright bathroom. Breakfast is hot and cold buffet, very enjoyable to sit and read the papers beside river as you enjoy breakfast. The hotel has limited parking, nearest car park with an all weekend rate of £9 is a few minutes walk. Saturday the hotel is popular for weddings which can take over the space. Great location for a wedding if you are looking for venues.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank MichiBerkshire
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear MichiBerkshire,

thank you for this positive review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I am glad you were happy with your bedroom once you got there and you enjoyed the breakfast and the view from our Thames View Restaurant.

I always find the view of the swans and boats passing by has a very calming effect and I love our guests feeling the same way.

Please except my apologies for any delay in check in, as we always try to have sufficient staff on duty to deal with all expected arrivals promptly.

Hopefully the wedding party in the hotel did not take away from the overall enjoyment of your stay and we can welcome you back here with us in Windsor soon.

Jutta Staude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
New England
Reviewed September 5, 2013

What a great place this is! This stay was a welcome departure from my usual short-stay work-related trip, and came on the heels of an all-night flight into Heathrow. My employer had booked my room in London but I decided to find a place at my own expense to escape the horrible commute to and from the city and decided on lovely Windsor, a place I had had the pleasure of exploring 3 or 4 times previously, and which I knew to be very convenient to Heathrow (as in just minutes away). I had wandered past the Sir Christopher Wren on previous rambles from Windsor across the Thames to Eton, so was not entirely unfamiliar, but I’d never stayed there. Being a fan of Wren’s, I’d imagined him walking through those classical columns out in front. Thinking (correctly) that Windsor and the Wren would be a much nicer place to meet up with my friends coming to meet me for dinner, I was happy to book a Thames-front room with a mini-balcony, after reading as many reviews as I could on hotels and B & B’s in the area. This stay did not disappoint! From the moment I arrived I was treated as if I were a VIP; the staff all very gracious and helpful. My baggage was retrieved from my rental car and the valet parked it for me in the hotel’s private spaces behind the main building (luckily I had gotten a reservation for a space – they are limited). My room was just being prepared when I arrived (I got there before check-in time), and I went to the bar/restaurant where the bartender quickly made sure I had a refreshing drink in hand during my short wait. I arrived at the busy Sunday brunch time, and all the diners (most of them out on the outside deck) were enjoying wonderful-looking meals to live (but muted) jazz music, and the wait-staff seemed to be happily zooming back and forth (I love to see employees hustle for the customers…sadly rare in so many cases). It was a great atmosphere (the beautiful weather helped) – everyone seemed to be having a great time, and I would have joined them if I hadn’t needed a nap so badly. Soon I was escorted to my room in the building across the street from the main house and shown to my room. It was smallish but perfect for my needs…beautifully outfitted with much attention to detail. The furniture and appointments very tasteful in a transitional style and the colors modern but not in-your-face, and were nicely coordinated. There were many pleasant surprises, the most important to me being the very effective central air conditioning. North Americans are often disappointed by ineffective European and British hotel A/C systems, but the A/C in my room was quick to cool to my taste, which runs towards chilly. Kudos for that if for nothing else! Still, there was a lot more to like. The TV (a nice, large wall-mounted flat-screen) had lots of channels available. Also, the WIFI was great (and free to guests of the hotel). The desk area had plenty of plugs (thank you!), there were lots of pillows (yeah) and the bed linens were divine. The view was incredible, looking right out on the Thames and the Thames St. pedestrian bridge. Swans and geese were enjoying the attention (and food) from the passers-by on the walkway below, as barges, longboats, pedal boats, and other water craft drifted by lazily. I scooted a chair out on my tiny balcony to enjoy the picturesque world passing by for a while (wish my spouse could have come with me…too bad that didn’t work out) then turned my attention to that nap. I was a little concerned that the voices outside the room might keep me awake, but with the doors and curtains closed, it wasn’t bad (plus I carry a small 220 volt fan with adapters for different countries with me…it does double duty as white noise and cooling if necessary). After a short but refreshing snooze, I got ready to go out. The bathroom was really magnificent. The bath had a gigantic tub, heated towel rack, and stylish chrome hardware. Lots of travertine tile and a very unique wall tile that looks like bronze damask wallpaper! Very soothing and luxurious. Plenty of towels and thick, lavish bath robes, and Gilchrist & Soames amenities were provided. When I returned to my room for the evening I filled out the breakfast room service order and hung it on my door, and after a wonderful night’s sleep (thanks to that cool room and the great mattress and bedding) my breakfast was delivered spot-on at the appointed time. It was prepared exactly how I had requested and was absolutely delicious. No skimping on anything! Check-out went even more smoothly than check-in, if that was possible, and once again the staff was amazing. So, here are my only (petty and minor) comments for the hotel…my room service was delicious but lacking a large plate onto which I could prepare my boiled eggs (I had only the small toast plate and the small poached egg stand holder to work with). Also, the bathroom amenities lacked a conditioner (many people with unruly hair like mine need it in addition to “conditioning” shampoo)…it seems a little incongruous that conditioner was not provided. Next, the little hotel safe inside the armoire wasn’t mounted completely upright, and the door would swing open and make it difficult to close the armoire (locking the safe fixes that but it’s a shame the door is scratching the armoire door). Lastly, although I know it must be a constant battle to keep clean, there were plenty of bird droppings on the balcony. Guess that comes with the territory, though. One more word about noise – Windsor is a big tourist destination but I haven’t noted much rowdiness there. Still, the sheer amount of people dictates that there will be noise. Also, Windsor lies underneath the preferred and prevailing departure routes of aircraft taking off from Heathrow (I can say with some authority that their altitudes are about 3000’, or about half a mile high, depending on their weights, by the time they pass overhead Windsor), so if a little jet noise bothers you (it doesn’t bother me), maybe rethink Windsor (or visit when the winds are quite stiffly out of the east). But the hotel can’t help any of that – I just mention it for the sake of people that would want that info. That’s it…from the world’s fussiest hotel guest. Great job, SCW Hotel! Nice stay? Without doubt it is the best hotel experience I’ve had in years! Was it expensive? Only moderately – I know a room of similar price in London would have been a pit - trust me! My experience at the Sir Christopher Wren was worth every penny and I will definitely come back, hopefully with my spouse.

Room Tip: The higher rooms will be quieter and will have the most expansive views. The large balcony rooms ar...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear YankeeJetSetter,

thank you so much for this exceptional review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was overjoyed to read that you had such an amazing time and was especially pleased with all your great comments on the team.

The riverside building you stayed in was refurbished earlier this year and I love that you mention so much detail and that you are describing my favourite bathroom tile - it is really very pretty.

Our Sunday Lunch is indeed very popular and I am glad you enjoyed the jazz trio despite being very tired.

I also really appreciate your very constructive comments and will see what we can take on board and improve.

So if you are the world's fussiest hotel guest (which I doubt), you are always welcome back and I do hope you can bring your partner along next time you are travelling from New England to 'old' England.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Right at the foot of Castle Windsor, these couple of old brick buildings will take you to 1700s Windsor with 2000s comfort. The houses were renovated so proffessionally that the fabric of the past's is untouched. Service is quite respectful and food is better than average. Contains a small but nice spa and fitness center. If you want to feel baroque Windsor over Thames river, this is the right adress.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank espoirist
Dear Espoirist,

thank you so much for this excellent review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa.

I was delighted to read all your positive comments and was really pleased to see the picture of your bedroom in the Swan building attached, as this is one of the rooms that we only just refurbished last month. It is good to see our guests appreciate it.

Hopefully we can welcome you back here with us in Windsor some time soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We booked an Executive Room through Voyage Prive and we were allocated a room in the main building. The corridors were a little bit higgledy piggeldy and the décor was a bit tired. We had a room on the first floor overlooking the car park and the Spa/Gym but it was not noisy as the car park is very small and the parking has to be handled by a member of the staff. Lovely bathroom and everything worked. The room was very comfortable and clean and came with an iron and ironing board - not that we needed it. The air-con was a bit noisy but we didn't use it the first night as we had two windows that we could open to get fresh air. We had a free bottle of house wine in the room with petit fours and free mineral water. We had dinner on the first night in the main restaurant and they handled my food allergies and the dinner was beautiful and so was the wine we chose. The view from the restaurant down the river was amazing - so peaceful and relaxing. Breakfast was lovely but the only thing was the plates were never hot from the cabinet which was supposed to keep them hot. Also, with the serving dishes they had the hot food in, each with an individual lid, approx. 8 in total, was a bit of a bind when there were people queuing, lifting the lid of one dish and placing it on a nearby dish wasn't really the best thing. They need to rethink this section. Could not fault the staff, they were all lovely and very helpful. We purchased our tickets for Windsor Castle from the hotel reception and that meant that we did not have to join the queue at the castle and could just walk straight in through security. Really did have a lovely weekend at this hotel and would recommend it.

Room Tip: This is a busy hotel right in the centre of Windsor so it is pot luck which room you get or choose...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peggie97,

thank you very much for this wonderful review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I am glad you were so impressed with the team and enjoyed your weekend so much.

I have shared your comments regarding the breakfast dishes with my food and beverage manager, so that we can look for a solution for this.

Hopefully we can welcome you back here with us soon.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Booked through Secret Escapes and I wasn't disappointed. Got checked in nice and early and were shown to our room which was over the Road To the main hotel. Room 306 has a lovely river view and has a balcony. Our room was air conditioned was nice and clean and included mineral water and bath robes.
Breakfast was served in the main building and was freshly cooked and plentiful. Views across the river to Eton whilst you contemplate your day ahead make for a relaxed start to the day.
Already trying to find an excuse to Re-book.....before I have to leave....later today

• Stayed September 2013
Dear tonyFD,

thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was thrilled to read your exceptional feedback and am glad you loved bedroom 306, as this is one of our Riverside rooms that we refurbished earlier this year and are indeed very proud of.

Hopefully we can welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We attended the Christopher Wren hotel for our tenth wedding anniversary and twenty years together. We booked through secret escapes and conversed with the hotel directly they were extremely helpful even before our arrival. Our room was in the annex building and we looked onto the river Thames amazing view. The room was beautiful clean and fresh fruit on arrival.
Parking is at the station not a problem £15.00 for 3 days and a short walk to the hotel.
We used the spa and gym which were both of a very high standard.
Lots to see and do in Windsor so no time for boredom!
On the evening of our anniversary we had our three course meal and wine included in our deal. We were not disappointed! Lovely food and the wine was also very pleasant.
We have to say that the staff are responsible for our wonderful stay! They are so helpful and can not do enough to please! In particular I would like to highlight some of the most outstanding: Grace, Emily, Andy, Paul and from the bar Stefand and Luke. These members of staff really made our stay special and we really appreciate all their hard work.
Thanks to everyone we will definitely return and would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear happysqwiff,

thank you so much for writing this brilliant review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa.

I was over the moon to see so many of my team members mentioned by name and have shared your comments with them and their managers.

It is one of the most rewarding parts of my job and this industry to contribute to someone's special occasion and to get such wonderful feedback.

I can't wait to welcome you back here with us in Windsor.

Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have just returned from Windsor where we stayed for one night at the Christopher Wren Hotel.

First impressions weren't great. We pulled up beside the hotel to offload our bags only to be pinned in by two other cars arriving after us. We hadn't booked a parking space in advance (they only have 16 spaces), and were told by reception that we would have to park in the local train station car park down the road (which actually worked out okay). However, we had to wait nearly an hour before the cars behind us could be moved, allowing us to get out.

We paid for an Executive Room via Voyage-Prive. When we checked in, we were surprised to be told that we had been upgraded to an apartment with "views of the castle". We were then shown out of the hotel entrance and down the road where we went up 2 flights of stairs above a local restaurant. Sure, our apartment faced the castle but you had to struggle to actually see it. We felt as thought we'd been fobbed off. It didn't feel like we were staying in a hotel at all. Being on quite a busy road, it was very noisy, especially when it was chucking out time at the pub over the road.

Breakfast was "just okay'. You can order from the menu if you preferred freshly cooked items, but you had to be prepared to wait a while. The food that was already cooked and available buffet-style was on a cramped table and was quite crowded. They ran out of croissants and we had to wait 20-25 minutes for some more. The best part of the breakfast was the view out of the window.

I would sum this up by saying that I'm glad we didn't pay the usual rate of £290 for the experience (we paid £125), and if we were to visit Windsor again we would try another of the hotels nearby.

ps if you want a really nice place to have afternoon tea, go to the Bel & Dragon at the end of the street, it was amazing

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Susan P
Dear Susan P.,

thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and please let me apologise for any problems experienced during your stay.

I can only assure you that we take excellent customer service and our high product quality extremely serious, but this clearly was not the case for you on this occasion.

Our parking is indeed limited, but we are very open about this matter and advise on all available websites including Voyage Prive, that parking has to be pre-booked. In addition we make sure our porters offer luggage assistance before guests park elsewhere, I am sorry you were not aware of this prior to your arrival.

The hotel consists of five individual buildings and should you be in the area again I would be happy to oversee your booking, to ensure you stay in one of our main house rooms next time around.