“Still a favourite”

Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We first visited SCW in February 2011 and have been promising a trip back since. We managed to get there in October and were thrilled to remind ourselves how nice it was.

We were nicely greeted on Sunday evening (28th) by Karina and upgraded to room 5. Luggage carried for us we settled in and I readied myself for a business meeting in Gatwck the next day. Unwinding we decided to stay two nights instead of one and rang reception who very helpfully sorted this out within minutes...feeling immediately more relaxed in our pleasant surroundings with lovely bedding, seating and bathroom we were very happy.

The next morning I left for my meeting and my wife occupied herself in Windsor using SCW as a base to work from. Arriving back at 5pm she was really pleased we'd stayed.

We ate out that evening and didn't book into breakfast but having eaten their before know it's good. I used the gym one morning and it was friendly, well equipped and provoded free tea and all bran which was a nice treat.

The staff were really great and on leaving despite being blocked in by someone who had not left his keys at reception they expertly sorted in with minimum fuss, really professional.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to both couples and to business travellers.

Can't wait to stay again,

Room Tip: Room 5 was nice, Monday is bin day though and the room is right on the street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tim C
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Culverhouses,

Thank you so much for your positive comments regarding your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa.

I am thrilled to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and have passed your comments on to the teams and especially Katrina and the reception team. I greatly appreciate your very kind words about our staff.

I hope to welcome you back here soon for your next Windsor visit and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

I will try and have a word with the bin men, to try and keep them a little quieter.

Jutta Staude

Write a ReviewReviews (1,914)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. From the train station it is a few minutes walk. The Thames River running beside the hotel is wonderful and there are swans galore. I stayed in Room 11 in the main building. Very quiet and slept well. Aside from when the fire alarm went off one night but thankfully only for a few minutes. Although not nice to woken at 12.30am by an alarm. Nice size room, extremely comfortable bed, small table with a couple of chairs, albeit the bed is a tiny double, I am glad I was alone as I think if my wife had been with me one of us would ended up on the floor! Great bath, the hotel needs to replace the showerhead with something that provides pressure. There is free wi fi, coffee and tea making facilities but no safe. Breakfast was excellent, only thing I did not like is the tiny glasses for lepracauns they use for the fruit juice. I also had dinner and enjoyed the meal especially the Eton mess dessert. Overall the hotel was perfectly fine and with a few tweaks could be great such as new showerheads and a Queen or King sized bed.

2  Thank John K
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Kiwi in Brighton,

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us the feedback on your stay at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa.

I have shared your comments with my team and am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I especially agree with your feedback on the Eton Mess, as this is one of my favourites on the menu all year round; just exchanging the berries throughout the seasons and keeping the meringue and the whipped cream.

We are doing our best to improve the property bit by bit and have already refurbished a big part of the property in the past year and have added boosters for additional water pressure in some areas of the main house, but the area where room 11 is located, is still due this upgrading. I am grateful for your productive and positive feedback, as it allows me to look into each point and resolve them as soon as possible.

I am sure we can get the additional tweaks in place for your next stay and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed with my girlfriend for the weekend. The location is unbelievable. Right alongside the Thames & within 5 minutes walk of 2 train stations as well as Windsor Castle.

We stayed in the separate house opposite the main hotel building. It was a lovely cosy room. We had room service as it was 10pm & it arrived within 20 minutes.

This is where the stay became disappointing. The room service tray was removed the next morning & was kept at the entrance to the house for the next 24 hours. I'm sure if I asked the staff to remove it they would have, but it wasn't the best first impression for the new guests in the house.

I would recommend eating at the riverside restaurant purely for the location. We arrived at the restaurant using the bankside entrance. There we stood waiting to be sat for 15 minutes. Staff walking past us not acknowledging us & the 3 couples waiting behind us. I had to stop a staff member & ask to be seated.

After we were handed a menu no-one served us for another 15 minutes, which resulted in us leaving.

I complained to the duty manager & she was very kind & gave feedback back to the restaurant. To their credit we were offered complimentary afternoon tea the next day.

The afternoon tea was fantastic especially as it was a sunny day alongside the Thames.

THe first nights sleep was lovely as the bed was comfortable, but saturday night it was very noisy. At 3am there were people drinking in the streets & right outside our window. Apparently the hotel has security to stop this happening but they didn't appear.

For a quiet room I would suggest not staying in the separate house. For a beautiful view I would definitely recommend it.

My girlfreind use the spa & told me the staff were lovely and the treatments were very good.

Room Tip: Avoid the separate house if you want a quiet night.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank hareends
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Hareends,

Thank you for sharing the feedback from your stay at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa. We genuinely value your time.

I was delighted that your girlfriend valued our spa team and the treatments provided.

We do our best to exceed guest expectations and please let me apologise sincerely for any lapses in service in our Thames View Restaurant during your stay.

I am also sorry you did not get a good rest on your second night with us. As you can probably appreciate, it is very hard to manage the street noise in such a central location. We are continuously taking guest feedback on board and are adding additional glazing throughout the buildings to minimise disruption to our guests.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa in the future. Please contact me for any future booking and I will allocate the best possible room that combines the views and a quiet location.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had a lovely weekend stay in Windsor one of our favourite places for a break as a base for Ascot and Windsor races. Our room was in the annexe (rooms 82-86) but to be fair our room was clean and full of character and breakfast served in the main hotel was fine. The annexe is less than 25 metres and you won't beat the hotel for location.

Our only complaint was the noise on Friday and Saturday night generated from people using the take away on the corner until way past 03:00.

I can't see any way of fixing this issue unless the take away closes or additional sound proofing is installed around the windows; we visit windsor regularly and this issue would certainly make us look at other hotels in the area unless the price (£120 per night) was significantly reduced to reflect the known issue.

Room Tip: We used the close by railway car park that only cost £9 for the weekend versus £10 per night at the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Boxers_Parents

Thank you very much for the detailed review and positive comments on the cleanliness and the quality of food. I am so sorry that the street noise affected your stay, but can assure you that we are resolving this matter slowly but surely. We have already started replacing front facing windows over the last year and have added internal double glazing to some of the listed building areas, which is proving to be little more difficult.

The Swan Building, which you stayed in, has so much character and many guests like it for the exposed wood work and traditional features, but it is part of the Grade 2 listed areas and will take a little more time to find the appropriate solution to make the windows more sound proof.

Please do get in touch when you are next in the area and I will personally make sure you have a quiet room.

Warm regards

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I stayed one night. Had a double room which was simply nice and what you would expect. Staff were very helpful, particularly the trainee! I won't mention names but they've done a good job on their training. My only issue was around parking - there are only a few spaces (10ish) and you need to prebook. They manage to squeeze my car in

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Aman K

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I am delighted that our new starters delivered the customer service we pride ourselves in.
Parking is a premium in Windsor and we are grateful that we can offer our guests this facility, however small. I am glad we managed to fit your car in without prior booking.
I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is tired. Used to stay here many times a couple of years ago and doesn't seem like anything has been done there since!
First night had to change rooms to ensure an actual mattress on the bed! In the new room, there was no wifi and in the morning, no hot water!!
Couple that with all parts of the hotel just looking dated and tired and it wasn't the best stay!
Advice for Windsor is to look for a smaller hotel or B&B ... Recently all the larger ones have been disappointing at best!

1  Thank colemnic

Many thanks for your feedback. Please let me sincerely apologise for any problems experienced during your stay.
I would like to assure you that we do take guest feedback very seriously and resolve any concerns as promptly as we can.
We are currently refurbishing the property and have already refurbished all public areas over the last year, with bedrooms being done a few at a time. Please do try us again and I will make sure you get one of the newly refurbished rooms to show you where we are taking the property.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Paid £125 for a twin room, was given a single. The room was tiny to say the least. The heating in the room was stuck on and with no air conditioning left the room sweltering. Slept on top of the bed with the window open. Bathroom was poor standard with showers that resembled ones at a school. Left my Breakfast requirements outside on the door, but the card wasn't collected so had no room service.
Upon arrival Reception staff were in no rush to serve and were just about friendly. All in all not worth £125 and would not stay or recommend this hotel.

2  Thank Amanda R

Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am very sorry you were so disappointed with your stay.
As you are probably aware, we have already contacted your company travel manager, to ensure the booking agent you use does not book single rooms for you, which had unfortunately happened on this occasion.
Please let me apologise for any lapses in service during your stay.