“Lovely building and service - touch of class”

Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely building and service - touch of class”
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I stayed one night. Had a double room which was simply nice and what you would expect. Staff were very helpful, particularly the trainee! I won't mention names but they've done a good job on their training. My only issue was around parking - there are only a few spaces (10ish) and you need to prebook. They manage to squeeze my car in

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Aman K
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I am delighted that our new starters delivered the customer service we pride ourselves in.
Parking is a premium in Windsor and we are grateful that we can offer our guests this facility, however small. I am glad we managed to fit your car in without prior booking.
I hope to welcome you back soon.

Jutta Staude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Nottingham
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is tired. Used to stay here many times a couple of years ago and doesn't seem like anything has been done there since!
First night had to change rooms to ensure an actual mattress on the bed! In the new room, there was no wifi and in the morning, no hot water!!
Couple that with all parts of the hotel just looking dated and tired and it wasn't the best stay!
Advice for Windsor is to look for a smaller hotel or B&B ... Recently all the larger ones have been disappointing at best!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank colemnic
Many thanks for your feedback. Please let me sincerely apologise for any problems experienced during your stay.
I would like to assure you that we do take guest feedback very seriously and resolve any concerns as promptly as we can.
We are currently refurbishing the property and have already refurbished all public areas over the last year, with bedrooms being done a few at a time. Please do try us again and I will make sure you get one of the newly refurbished rooms to show you where we are taking the property.

Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Paid £125 for a twin room, was given a single. The room was tiny to say the least. The heating in the room was stuck on and with no air conditioning left the room sweltering. Slept on top of the bed with the window open. Bathroom was poor standard with showers that resembled ones at a school. Left my Breakfast requirements outside on the door, but the card wasn't collected so had no room service.
Upon arrival Reception staff were in no rush to serve and were just about friendly. All in all not worth £125 and would not stay or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Amanda R
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am very sorry you were so disappointed with your stay.
As you are probably aware, we have already contacted your company travel manager, to ensure the booking agent you use does not book single rooms for you, which had unfortunately happened on this occasion.
Please let me apologise for any lapses in service during your stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This hotel has so much potential to be truly special, that may be why I was so disappointed in my stay. The classic Georgian building may or may not have been Sir Christopher Wren's home; apparently that has never been confirmed. Sadly, the facade is covered with so much advertising material, it cheapens what should appear to be classically elegant. The common rooms are beautiful, with modern updates to traditional decor; e.g., a large, old fashioned settee upholstered in textured chartreuse fabric. Our room decor was very nice, but the bathroom was sadly in need of management attention. The tiles were dented and/or chipped, and there was actually pink mold on the grout in one spot. How ironic, since we couldn't get into the room fifteen minutes before check-in time because it hadn't been cleaned. Once we were given a key, we entered a room that reeked of cleaning materials. We didn't sleep very well because of all the noise outside the hotel. I was asked at check-in what paper I wanted in the morning, but none ever materialized. Staff seemed to be making a good effort to be helpful and friendly. However, at the rates charged by this hotel, the bathroom needs to be top notch, and service glitches should be few and far between. The location is excellent for a visit to Windsor or Eton, but there are other hotels only a block or two away. I'd probably try somewhere else for my next stay in Windsor.

Room Tip: Be aware there may be a lot of stairs to climb, so if mobility is an issue, ask for a room that does...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IllinoisTravel4Fun
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you very much for your detailed review. Please let me sincerely apologise for any problems experienced during your stay. I have personally checked the grouting in the area you stayed in since receiving your comments and made sure that everything is rectified.

Please let me assure you that we do take all guest feedback very seriously and deal with matters as swiftly as we can.

Portsmouth
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I accompanied 3 friends to this wonderful event and followed with a delicious meal at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel. The service was excellent and so was the food.
We sat overlooking the River Thames drinking champagne. It was the perfect finale to a magical day. Would thoroughly recommend the menu.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank cakeladyPortsmouth
Thank you for your lovely comments. I am delighted we were able to help you and your friends celebrate this very special event.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Central position in Windsor on the banks of the river, stunning views when eating a good choice of breakfast. Easy walking to river for a short cruise, the castle, which is stunning to look around. The shopping was great with the usual high street shops plus many independent, quirky shops. Restaurants nearby. The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful and car parking at the hotel, although limited was reasonably priced. Look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tracy A
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Many thanks for your great feedback.
I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren and in Windsor.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stavanger
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The main hotel building was Christopher Wren's House so you must not expect an interior with lift and easy access. It was a querky lay out but the atmosphere of the lounges and restaurant area was lovely and relaxed . I found the staff very helpful ,great with the luggage on arrival and helpful in finding easy access rooms for those of our party unable to climb stairs.The rooms we had were all very clean and well appointed.My daughter and family were , however,
disappointed with their executive room, which although bigger with a good area for a cot, was looking a little worn.
After a late lunch out our group did not need dinner. We met for drinks in the bar and ordered sandwiches which wer served quickly and were excellent in taste and presentation.Breakfast very good buffet style lovely location.

Room Tip: Be specific about you needs especially if you have mobility problems. Do not expect 21st century in...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Janet E
Thank you very much for your positive feedback, which I have shared with the team and specifically the luggage porters.
I am delighted you had such a great time and it is very refreshing to see that you appreciated the constraints a grade two listed building brings along. I hope your daughter's slight disappointment in the room didn’t overweigh the general enjoyment of everyone’s stay and please let me assure you that we are bit by bit refurbishing all the rooms, so hopefully we will impress everyone next time around.
I hope to welcome you back soon.