“Great location, not so great hotel.”

Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
Seattle, Washington
“Great location, not so great hotel.”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Loved the water front location just a few blocks from plenty of eating and shopping, as well as 2 close metro stations.

Service was good, but not great.

Hotel itself is not great. Needs a complete remodel inside. The layout is horrendous... To get our room you had to go up three steps, take a right, take a left, go down 2 stairs, take a right, down 3 more stairs, take a right, go up 20 stairs, turn right, go up 5 more stairs, then back down two.... Really? All this with two 40lb suitcases that the doorman only decided to grab one (and banged up all along the walls and stairs along the way). wow! Not something they can easily change, but not for elderly or anyone with mobility issues.

Rooms were decent sized, but molding, paint, outlets looked beat up. Carpet was a little worn, but clean. Bathrooms were just bad. Holes in the tile all over, just sylicones shut, no outlet that worked, one light behind you... making it hard to groom with the low light. My wife HATED it!

Room service was kinda funny. It was late and we didnt want to go out for food. We ordered a Roast beef and cheese sandwich, chips, and a lemonade.... $18 for 2 peices of loaf bread, 1 peice of oscar meyer deli meat, 8 chips and a glass of sprite. I understand room service is always expensive, but come on.... I also noticed the people across the hall ordered two burgers, they looked like 2 bites had been taken from each then put back on the plate - looked burnt bad.

Not sure what would be better in the area, but I would look around. For the money, there has got to be better. We will be back next year and dont plan to even look at the place.

Service and location was the only thing that made it "decent".

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the MAIN Hotel, not one of the side building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank TnCMelby
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback, which I have shared with my management team.
From your description I know exactly, which area of the hotel you stayed in and as you have to walk through the original building, we have not been able to make this area as accessible as we would like.
I apologise sincerely for my porter not offering to bring the second case up for you and not treating it as carefully as it should have been treated. I was however very happy to read that you were satisfied with the overall service and our location.
I would really appreciate the opportunity to meet your expectations next time around, so please do ring next year and I will allocate a more accessible room for you.

Jutta Staude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked for one night's stay & that was enough for me I'm afraid. My confirmation booking stated Welcome You are staying at "THE SIR CHRISTOPHER WREN HOTEL!!, Indeed this was not the case here. Apparently you have to ask for the privilege of staying in the main hotel other wise you will be placed in one of the annex's over the street, Which are tired dated & very small & the Hardest mattress I ever had the misfortune to sleep on. The Manager's response was that unless YOU should specifically ask to stay in main hotel, & this clearly stated on there website?. I do feel slightly cheated!! Had I have known this I could have stayed in a comfortable B&B just over the bridge for a fraction of £130.00 I paid. Breakfast nothing to write home about either, sausages looked boiled &
guest's waiting for 15 mins for eggs to appear from kitchen while breakfast gets cold on plate. Windsor is a great place & there are more better hotels, shop around.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room in main hotel, otherwise your be shunted into one of the small outdated annex.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank whitemusk11
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am very sorry you were so disappointed with your stay. The hotel does consist of five buildings and we do our very best to accommodate guest preferences.
Please let me apologise for any lapses in service during your stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

While there was nothing major wrong with this hotel... I was expecting a little more.

The lobby was nice and while staff were friendly we did wait quite a while to be checked in and we had heavy bags with us and not really anywhere to put them while waiting.

Were placed in a room out of the way in like a little side alley from the hotel which was a bit strange it was however right in front of the Gym and Spa.

The room was Okay although I could smell something quite strong from the wardrobe when we first opened it and it lingered throughout our stay, no full length mirror which was disappointing as I wanted to see my whole outfit when I was ready for Royal Ascot 2012 (I took a picture instead)

it was a little old and could have done with a re vamp.

Gym and spa is across 3 floors I got a personal tour but didn't get time to use it although it did look wonderful.

We had afternoon tea on Sunday overlooking the river... nice and sunny and a good view.

When it started pouring down with rain we grabbed what we could and got inside although no help by staff as we did have a lot of stuff to bring in and the second time I went out to get my Tea on of the staff had closed the door... it was easy enough to get back in though.

We liked the food here and received a good service from staff.

Overall I thought it was okay for what it was and the stay wasn't a bad one but I probably wouldn't return to stay here (perhaps for afternoon tea on a nice day ;)).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank XGlobetrottingXGirlX
Thank you very much for your feedback, I am glad you liked our staff friendliness and the afternoon tea on the terrace.
We pride ourselves in the quality of our food and the customer service we are providing, although you should have had more assistance when the rain started.
Please let me assure you that we are continuously updating our rooms and I would be delighted to welcome you back soon, when I can hopefully show you some of the newly refurbished rooms. I would make sure your next room has a full size mirror for your next Ascot outfit.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on Saturday September 29th 2012. My husband and I were guests of our son who was taking part in the triathlon and Eton Dorney on Sunday September 30th 2012

There was a mix up when we booked in as a party of the same surname were also staying that weekend. It was eventually sorted out and we were all given upgrades. We all retired to our rooms for an early night and to prepare for the day ahead. Unfortunately due to the noise from the night club accross the road we did not get any sleep until 2.15 am and as we had to leave at 6.30 a.m. none of us -especially those taking part in the triathlon- were fit and rested for our day ahead.

I did ring down to reception at 1 am and enquired about the nosie to be told that it would cease about 1.30 am. I understand that the hotel cannot be held responsible for third party actions but this room was not an upgrade and should only be bookedout as a last resort with the occupants being made aware of the noise prior to accepting.

Room Tip: Please dont have room 413 if you want a decent sleep. Rooms 414 1nd 415 were a bit less noisey but y...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NannieC
Thank you very much for your feedback, which I have shared with my reception team. I am very sorry you did not get a restful night. We do our very best to allocate rooms in line with guest preference, but this clearly didn’t happen for you. I hope you understand that this was not done intentionally.
Please let me know when you are in the area again and I will personally oversee your reservation and allocate your room.

Chigwell
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location, actually on the river and literally overlooking the bridge that it allows you to walk across it and into Eton High Street and onto to the hallowed ground of Eton College, sadly it's pretty much downhill from there.
OK, a one night break might not provide enough time to truly evaluate a hotels merits but the one truly telling moment of what to expect from a short stay comes the moment you cross the threshold of the reception. This was late August Bank Holiday so we weren't expecting a fanfare but the total disinterest demonstrated by the lack of any warmth in the welcome set the tone for the stay.
There can be no doubt that this hotel is popular as it shows in the wear and tear of the reception lobby which is distinctly gloomy but if you venture off to the left you will find a cosy little lounge which is perfect to chill out in. As for the rest of the hotel the same applies, it is foot worn and beginning to look a bit shabby.
I admit we were early as it was just after 12 noon and we really would have been surprised to find that our room was ready but instead were told that we were rather early and they were busy and the room would not be available until about 3pm. Could we drop our cases off? This was greeted with a nonchalant yes with no help offered to carry a bag, so we did just that and went off exploring Windsor, which really has a great deal to offer other than the Castle. Just don't ask any of the staff for directions as there wasn't a single one of them from the UK and they didn't have a clue.
We arrived back before 3pm and were pleased to find that our room was ready, it was a pleasant enough, clean and spacious and the bathroom was huge and spotlessly clean so no complaints there. We then went for tea and returned again after to change for dinner at a well recommended local restaurant The Latin Quarter, I have reviewed that as well.
We get back to the hotel around 11pm oh so tired and can't wait to get some shut eye, sitting on the edge of the bed the anticipation of a good night's sleep is bliss until your head hits the pillows which are ROCK like.
A call to reception to request a soft feather pillow went nowhere the person on the end not understanding a word of English but after speaking to the duty manager I thought that salvation was in sight. 15 minutes later a knock on the door filled me with relief at the expectation of the delivery of a soft pillow but alas it was another rock held in the arms of yet another person of foreign extraction.
So we resigned ourselves to a poor nights sleep which is just what we got.
The next morning feeling tired but hungry we discovered that the breakfast room was buffet style which is fine except for the fact that the serving dishes and utensils like the hotel are past their sell by date. The food was OK but that was it really is a self service affair even having to ask for your coffee.
I found on check out that I was not alone in complaining to the duty manager who looked flustered and under pressure. I was informed that the hotel does not have a Pillow Menu not even a choice of hard of soft and that she was very sorry.
I didn't want to waste my breath but requested a discount at which my bill was promptly discounted by £25, too easily if you ask me, it must happen a lot at this hotel. My advice is if you have to stay at The Sir Christopher Wren take your own pillow and possibly cutlery.

Room Tip: One overlooking the River
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zeffy15
Thank you very much for your feedback, I really appreciate your detailed comments, which have allowed me to address them with the relevant teams.
Please let me assure you that I have taken your comments on board and let me apologise sincerely for the lapses in service during your stay.
Should you be in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will do my very best to accommodate your preferences.

Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here two nights just after arriving in England from overnight flight from the States. Hotel is very nice and it was a maze of halls and stairs to get to our room! But that made it fun. Room was small, but very nice and comfortable beds! It was quiet and good for sleeping. A little warm, but they had fans in the room so that helped. Location is fabulous for walking to Windsor Castle and enjoying the quaint town of Windsor. Also can walk to train which we appreciated!
Had a lovely lunch on the patio overlooking river. A delightful stay. I would come again! Not far from Heathrow, although expensive to get to Windsor in taxi.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank familyadventurer13
Thank you very much for your excellent feedback, I am delighted you had such a great time.

Windsor is just beautiful when the sun is out and you can watch the world go by on our terrace by the river.

Please do let me know when you are in the area again, as the hotel has an agreement with a local taxi company and they will pick you up from Heathrow at a discounted rate.

travelcritta in UK
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This Hotel is very well appointed just at the neck of the Eton Bridge in Windsor and it has several annexes in the area - so always ask if you require a room overlooking the river.
We had a suite in the Main Building which was clean and comfy, great as we had children with us and the sleeping arrangements consisted of a sofa bed and a z bed with a seperate room for us. The bathroom large enough and everything fine so far- except the car park which is TINY- and when I say TINY I mean tiny ! The cars were packed in like sardines and one is expected to leave car keys in Reception .
Unfortunately our car was scraped quite badly by whomever - which was rather sickening to say the least. However the Hotel have a policy to cover these eventualities and I guess perhaps these incidents occur more often than not, they coughed up a minimal sum which wont cover the cost of repair- SO PLEASE BE AWARE.Otherwise a great place to stay for the castle, river , legoland or theatre in the town etc.
Otherwise Breakfast very adequate with nice views of River. Dont really cater for childrens food in the evening just a very basic menu - Room service additional £5 I thought a bit steep especially as the prices were already hiked from the restaurant menu anyhow.

Room Tip: Some rooms have been refurbished and some are very traditional, if you want a room overlooking river...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travelcritta
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel.

Our car park is extremely small with limited spaces, however parking is a premium in Windsor and we are grateful that we can offer our guests this facility, regardless of how small it is. Due to the restrictions, we do have a Parking Policy in place, and this does include depositing car keys with the hotel. Accidents do happen, albeit very rarely, the hotel does follow a procedure for parking and for damage repairs and this is fully available to our guests, so that they are aware of this when they choose to use this facility.

We constantly strive to improve our service and hospitality and we welcome your constructive feedback.

I really hope the positive experiences outweigh the car parking issue and I would love to welcome you and your family back with us in Windsor.