“High Tea”

Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed April 27, 2014

A couple of friends of mine from London came down to Windsor for a visit & we decided to pop to the Harte & Garter Hotel for a spot of high tea.
Its nice having somewhere local where you can go for afternoon tea without necessarily having to book & despite it being the weekend we were able to be seated straight away.
The table we were sat at was a wee bit cramped but nothing too problematic. Also I think our waiter may have been fairly new as he was quite unsure at times bless him.
The tea itself was lovely, the selection of sandwiches, cakes & scones where very tasty & when we requested some more salmon sandwiches in particular they replenished at no extra charge which was lovely. One thing though, they do need to use different teapots! The ones we had leaked quite badly & were very awkward to pour, even the waiter had trouble.
Other than that though overall a very nice afternoon tea experience!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased that you and your friends had an enjoyable afternoon tea experience. I would always advise guests to pre-book their afternoon tea if possible as we can ensure a table is reserved for you, but we will always try to accommodate all guests regardless. We have had some new staff members join the team and I will ensure that they receive additional training and I will also review the teapots. I hope that you will choose to use the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Had a lovely one night stay at this hotel. Very good value deal vid travel zoo which included a two course evening meal, full English Breakfast and a bottle of wine in the room. We had a lovely view of Windsor Castle from our room. Food was very nice, plenty of choice at breakfast. A very quaint hotel with lots of character and we would happily return. Excellent value. Only downside was that there was tho parking and the wifi signal was poor in our room.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel. Unfortunately we do not have car parking at the hotel, but there are numerous local car parks that we are happy to give guests directions to. I will review the wifi signal as this should be available in all areas of the hotel. I hope that you will staying with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I have just spent 4 nights at the hotel with my son and overall, i very much enjoyed it. The price was right but all was not 100% smooth. While i was not expecting a suite with castle view ( i knew what i'd paid for) i was quite disappointed with our room, room 102. It wasn't tiny at all, but had a giant sink in the room itself, and the toilet and tiny shower cubicle were squeezed in what i can only call a closet. Also, the tiling, grouting and the whole shower looked as old as the hotel. The room was also very dark as it backed onto an alleyway. Nevertheless, the room was clean, the bed super comfy so i brushed it off until the next morning, 6h30 to be precise, when i was woken up but the almighty rattle of the laundry boxes being dragged in the alleyway. As it is only first floor and ( very) old original sash windows, the noise was really bas. I was told at reception that it wouldn't happen all the time but it did again the next morning same time. We were eventually upgraded to a great large room on the third floor, which had double glazing and more decent bathroom ( although the bath panes were swollen with mould) and we loved it. Only problem there was that i was probably too far to get any wifi signal so it didn't work in the room.Does work in the rest of hotel though.All the staff were excellent, as was the food, although much too expensive in my opinion. Saying that there are nice, cheaper options around. Staff were very accomodating, and even checked us in early on arrival and all of them were great with my 8 yr old. All in all i loved it and would very happily stay there again, i would also recommend it to friends. So avoid room 102 if you need sleep and don't be fooled by the ancient look of the showers, they do work well, and you should have a great stay.

Room Tip: Room 102 ( above the alleyway) is very noisy!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased that your overall stay was enjoyable although you did experience a few challenges that I would like to apologise for, but I am pleased that my team were able to move you to a larger bedroom. Due to the age of the hotel the bedrooms and bathrooms do vary in shape and size. Some of the bedrooms face the castle and some have internal views. I have contacted the laundry company to review the delivery and collection times to see if these can be altered so that guests are not disturbed. I have asked the Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager to review all bedrooms and ensure the grouting is of a good standard in all rooms. I will also carry out tests on the wifi signal as this should work in all areas of the hotel. We regularly review our food and beverage menu’s and pricing and try to keep these in line with general prices in Windsor. I was pleased that you enjoyed the shower. Hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Windsor.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Lovely hotel in a great location. No parking so we had a 5 min walk in rain with luggage to get to hotel. (Not a god start) On arrival we were surprised at how small the reception area was compared to the hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was beautiful and very comfortable. We were at the side and could just about see the clock on the castle wall. Great hotel to watch the changing of the guard from. Breakfast ok but you had to serve yourself and was waited on for tea and toast only.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review. The hotel has a loading bay at the entrance and I would advise all guests to use this to unload their luggage prior to parking their car in a local car park. My team are more than happy to assist with luggage. I was pleased that you enjoyed your bedroom and that the team looked after you well. On busy days we do offer a buffet breakfast for both hot and cold items for guests to help themselves. On quieter days we still offer a buffet breakfast for cold items, but will take your order for any cooked breakfast and these will then be cooked to order by the breakfast chef. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed here on our honeymoon while attending Royal Ascot. We had the 4 poster room right at the front of the hotel overlooking the castle. We were able to watch the changing of the guard every morning from our balcony. Wonderful atmospheric place, the room was gorgeous, bed comfy, bathroom stunning, restaurant stylish, food incredible, wine waiter very knowledgeable, breakfast plentiful, just a brilliant place. We are coming back for our 5th anniversary and can't wait.

Room Tip: pay up and get a room at the front to soak up all the history and goings on of Windsor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank camelotDorset

Thank you for posting a review and I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable experience at the hotel and that the staff looked after you well. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back for your 5th anniversary.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

we stayed sat night,arrived early cheekly asked for a front facing room but was told none available,we was given a back room had a great nights sleep really comfortable bed,wonderful breakfast and really nice staff from reception to waiting staff. would stay again.

2  Thank margiellis
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that the team at the hotel looked after you well and you had a good night sleep and enjoyable breakfast. The rear/internal facing bedrooms are the quieter rooms. If you require a Castle facing bedroom it is best to book this in advance of your stay as these will normally be fully booked on the day. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Windsor.

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

When we checked in we found out we were staying in the townhouse behind the main hotel. We thought when we checked in this would be nice and quiet for a relaxing stay... How wrong we were!! We are stating over a weekend and the Easter bank holiday what the receptionist didn't tell us was that it was just up the road from the night clubs so not only do you hear the drone of the music all night you also get all the shouting and heckling from the drunk people from the clubs when they passed the house! Which even with the double glazing it's not enough! Ear plugs for us this eve!
Apart from that hotel is in a central location walking distance from everything! The rooms in this part are new so clean and comfortable but shame it's located by a nightclub! I live in Brighton but choose not to live in the city centre because I like my sleep!

• Stayed: April 2014

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were disturbed by external noise. The hotel is located in a city centre and unfortunately some of the bedrooms may experience external noise. I do regularly liaise with the local authority to discuss how noise levels can be kept to a minimum. As you state the advantages are that you can walk to all of the attractions in the town centre and if shopping it is very convenient to be able to return to your room to leave your bags. The internal facing as opposed to the external facing bedrooms are quieter for future reference.