“Nice afternoon, attention to detail would improve it”

Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Nice afternoon, attention to detail would improve it”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I booked this for my partner's birthday. We had afternoon tea in the hotel first which was nice, good selection of food and very pleasant, helpful staff. Lovely setting.
We then went to the spa where we had booked a Rasul Mud Treatment. This was good and an unforgettable experience! You have to apply the mud yourself so don't go alone! The sauna was nice, steam room similarly. The hydro pool was small, the fountains didn't work and the water was not particularly warm. The experience shower was broken and if we had not had the mud experience, which has its own showers in the treatment room, the only showers to use were in the changing rooms, and are standard not 'experience' showers.
However, overall experience was good. It's a small spa which is nice and during the two hours we were there were only joined by one other person. Would be nice to have some body lotion and face cream in the changing rooms along with the shower gel and shampoo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick D, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience and to also comment about afternoon tea.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment relating to our Spa which I have brought to the attention of our Spa Manager and maintenance team to ensure that the issues you have raised are dealt with promptly. Like all facilities, we do, from time to time suffer unforeseen technical issues which we attempt to rectify as quickly as possible.
Thank you for your valued feedback.

The Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The hotel is OK. Nice staff. Breakfast is the same every single day (you get tired of it). I stayed at room 317 for 7 days. Well, to be really honest that was not an actuala hotel room. They adapted it and it was really, really small.. So if you can, try to avoid it.
Besides, you dont´have access to the elevator if you are located on room 317 - you must take the stairs to go down. This is not a problem, except when you have a suitcase. Oh, on weekend they have loud parties at the hotel, and you cannot sleep at all until late at night.

Room Tip: Don´t get rooms 317 to 320... They are adapted bedrooms with no access to the elevator to go down...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience. I am really sorry that we did not fulfil your expectations. We try our utmost to satisfy our guests however room type allocation is subject to room type booked and our availability.

Thank you for your valued feedback.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My company booked the hotel for a meeting and my colleagues and i stayed for 2 nights, we had read the reviews and i cant understand some of the bad ones.
I garantee there is not a better location in Windsor, right opposite the Castle.

Our rooms were lovely and spotlessly clean, the staff very attentive, all the staff i met were so helpful

The food was good and the restaurant tables look out on to the high street where you can watch changing of the gaurd

This is a great hotel and i have persuaded my husband to book us in for a night away

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard B
Thank you for your praise regarding the high level of service provided by the whole team at Harte and Garter Hotel. I am very pleased to read that your colleagues also enjoyed their stay with us.
We look forward to your next visit.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I booked our one night stay through Secret Escapes. After reading some mixed reviews I was a little concerned but I needn't have been!

The hotel's central location made it an ideal base for exploring historic Windsor & Eton.

The staff have been very welcoming, friendly and helpful at all times.

Our room -212, had a truly brilliant view of the castle. There were double doors that opened out onto a tiny balcony in the main room and bathroom, allowing for the most fantastic people watching!! Yes with the doors open its a little noisy but you're on a main route through Windsor!

The bed was comfortable and the room well furnished. We needed an iron and one arrived within 2 minutes!

The restaurant in which we ate our breakfast was delightful. We were greeted by the welcoming staff and immediately asked about tea and coffee which arrived in moments. The breakfast buffet was excellent! Full English cooked breakfast, cereals, cold meats, fresh fruit and pastries looked fresh and appetising alongside many different juices.

Well done Harte & Garter!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Sleepy_cat_1985
Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your overall enjoyable stay. Thank you for pointing out our very good level of service. This will serve as an encouragement to all the staff to keep on providing such standards.
Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope that next time you visit Windsor, we will still be your first stop.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at The Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa in Windsor.

Waited a long time to check in. No apology for waiting.

Booked a castle facing room was told we had a standard room.

I asked about our dinner reservation that had been book beforehand at 8pm. Then told we had to go to dinner earlier, because the restaurant was full at that time?

I asked about the treatment I had book for myself and my wife at the Spa and was ignored, VERY rude staff.

My wife was standing near to the door at reception, once checking in and a staff member bashed into her, with no apology, once again VERY rude staff.

We were not informed where dinner would be? What time and where breakfast would be served and where the spa facilities would be?

Once in our room, phoned House Keeping three times, front desk and room service for an iron and ironing board with after trying for 10 minutes on and off. I had to walk downstairs and ask reception myself.

When we went to the restaurant for dinner waiting to be shown to our table to see a post it note from reception to restaurant saying ‘Would Not Change Time’. This was not the case, we had already booked our seating time a while ago with our hotel reservation? once again VERY rude staff.

We had no sleep, because of the aeroplanes, slamming doors and drunken people outside shouting.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and we did not enjoy our stay at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adam F

Travelers are raving about these Windsor hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I had the worst stay of my life at this supposed 4 star. All I needed was a good night sleep because I missed a connection and had been awake for 21 hrs. I found myself in a 1st fl room that smelled like sewage, overlooked the trash bins and had a non flushing toilet. None of that mattered, I only wanted to sleep. But I was jolted awake at 6:30 a.m. by the sounds of banging trash bins for at least 20 min -- yes, they collect rubbish that early! After that I was unable to sleep again. I let the hotel mgr know that I was upset and she apologized, acknowledging that yes indeed, they do collect trash this early. She then asked if I would have a late checkout. I checked out at noon and instead of granting my request for at least a partial refund, she said she would not charge me for the 1 hour late checkout! Even though she failed to mention there was a charge. I wrote to the GM for the partial refund and he offered a discount for my next stay. "Next stay"--Really?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Bought myself and my boyfriend a spa day mid week. When we got there no one was on reception even though the spa was quiet-receptionist wasn't very friendly and seemed annoyed we were there. The rain shower was not working, the jets in the jacuzzi were not working and one of the relaxation chairs were not working-but not once were we offered anything to make up for this. The rasul mud treatment was a complete let down-no actual treatment involved and the changing rooms were a mess! We weren't offered tea or coffee even though we could see old empty cups of tea all around the waiting room and relaxation room. Stables spa was a major let down but the afternoon tea was lovely!! Hotel waiting staff were really wonderful too.

• Stayed June 2013