“Disappointing. Location is only thing this place has going for it.”

Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Disappointing. Location is only thing this place has going for it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

If someone was staying in Windsor for just one night then I'd recommend here if they could get a good deal. You couldn't ask for a better location. I just stayed here for 3 nights with my husband - who is here for two weeks - and it was very poor. This hotel could be so much better if they paid attention to the little things.

Our room had incredibly slow wifi. In order to use the Internet I had to leave the room and stand in the hall. The lighting was poor and two of the lights weren't working. There was a dead insect glued to our window and the room was dusty; it needed a very good cleaning. The breakfast was nothing spectacular. Every day our toast was really burnt. I didn't want to send it back because I thought that was a great waste. The staff at breakfast were friendly. The bed in our room was so soft we could feel the springs, there was absolutely no support. I still have a very sore back from sleeping in the awful bed!

On my last day there I asked if there was a comment card and the woman at reception did ask if she could help. I wrote my comments first then returned the card. I explained about the wifi and lights and she said nobody had mentioned the wifi not working (I've seen at least one review here mentioning that other guests had found it to be poor) and suggested I had to flick the light switch in the other direction.....it really just needed a new bulb!

We asked for my husband to get a new room because he needs wifi to do his work. He says his new room is a lot smaller, I don't know if the wifi is better. If his experience this week much better, I will write a second review on his behalf.

2 Thank klompen25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I planned a relaxing weekend - our first without the kids for 3 1/2 years - so thought we would enjoy some time at the Stables Spa. It was a bitter disappointment.

The staff - it is fair to say - were all very professional and did their best to accommodate us. The facilities however were considerably below average and frankly speaking, unacceptable.

The water jets above the pool were not working; the shower in the pool area was not working; the Rasul steam room has a mouldy, dirty sponge provided to wash down after the treatment; the steam room for the Rasul treatment was nowhere near hot enough; and the spa does not provide slippers or slip-slops. The emergency call button / staff assistance call button did not work either. This spa is in dire need of investment and maintenance.

Described as "(an...) exclusive facility (which) combines exquisite interiors with stunning style and innovation to create a haven of tranquillity in the 'Harte of Windsor'" couldn't have been further from the truth.

The massage I thought was very good - so a saving grace for an otherwise unfortunate experience. The manager did not charge us for the Rasul treatment.

We will not make use of this spa again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank grant_allan
Patrick D, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide me with your valuable feedback concerning your visit to the Stables Spa.

In the first instance, please accept my most sincere and genuine apologies for those issues which detracted from the overall enjoyment of your visit.

I have today met with the Spa manager and our maintenance team to ensure that the issues you have raised are dealt with promptly. Like all facilities, we do, from time to time suffer unforeseen technical issues which we attempt to rectify as quickly as possible.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your massage and as you mention, you were not charged for the Rasul treatment.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback

The Management Team

Travelers are raving about these Windsor hotels

GIG HARBOR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in May 2013. Our room had a wonderful view of the Castle but this came with road and bar noise which kept both of us most of the night. The room temp was impossible to regulate and uncomfortable most of the time. Front desk staff was neutral in attitude at best. If you want a view of the castle this is the place to be. If you want a sound nights sleep ask for a room away from the road. I would stay in Eton where it is quiet and within easy walking distance of the Castle

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Right opposite the castle, the location couldn't be better.We checked in to room 232, WOW, it was on 2 floors, a huge bathroom it was like a loft conversion.
We went down for drinks in the bar, it wasn't too busy but the service was excellent with the waiters always checking we were ok and topping up our drinks and bowls of crisps
We didn't eat dinner at the hotel but the menu looked good as did the specials
All in all a great hotel, fantastic bedrooms with friendly staff
It is a bit quirky but we will be back for sure if only to have one of the cream teas we saw

Stayed May 2013
2 Thank April F
Patrick D, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 26, 2013

We always strive to deliver a great experience for all our customers so your review is greatly appreciated.

Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have just stayed two nights here on business. We had taken up a lot of the rooms and the hotel was full. Unfortunately I drew the short straw and got what must have been the smallest room in the hotel (room 102) it was round the back so had no view, except of pipes and utility boxes on the exterior walls. I don't think I have ever had a room quite like it before. As you enter the room, care had to be taken, not to knock the flat screen TV off the wall, In the main body of the room was a double bed a hanging cupboard, desk and chair plus a wash hand basin! I had to move things around, or put them up on the bed, ( case, laptop bag,sample box etc) to get to it in the mornings, to wash and shave. In a side room there was a toilet and a shower. However not much room between the two. You can sit on the toilet and wash your feet, should you feel inclined!
We had food in the hotel.....breakfast was very good, buffet lunch reasonable, but the evening meal was not of a good standard. The general cleanliness and decor was Ok, a little tired in places.
I would have been very disappointed if I had booked it for a private stay and had to use room 102 as a double. I think I would have refused to accept it! Also the food would have been an issue.
Good location though and if you get a room on the front overlooking the castle, it would possibly be a different story!

Room Tip: Do not accept room 102. Go for one at the front and on the third floor or higher.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. Needless to say, I'm disappointed to hear that we failed to meet your expectations in food and size of the bedroom on this occasion.
Your comments have been passed on to my restaurant manager.
Thank you for your valued feedback.

Frome, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Great location next to the castle and shops ,good check in process,cranky lift ,and a lovely room that was large airy and light,with a good sized bathroom with lovely products and fluffy towels.All good so far! The bar area was lively and service was slow but friendly ........

But now to the restaurant...the worst meal I have had in a long time ! Windsor is awash with good restaurants and to be fair the restaurant here came well recommended but on this particular night we wish we had eaten elsewhere. Firstly service was very slow,pleasant but slow and when the meals came they were stone cold served on cold plates.The reason given was a function elsewhere in the hotel had dragged the chef away but we really wish we had been told that the restaurant was too busy for us and we would have gladly gone elsewhere, with no bad feeling! We did eventually come to an agreement on the price of the food and a free bottle of wine was given to us but by this time the damage had been done and an excellent day had been ruined.
Stay in the hotel , have a drink in the bar but eat along the road !

Room Tip: Try not to be too close to the lift...we were at the back and it was quiet and lovely
1 Thank Phillicj
I am sorry to read your disappointment relating to certain aspects of your stay. I can assure you that your comments have been discussed with the respective departments,
As it is valuable feedback like this which helps us identify areas for improvement, raise standards and provide a better experience for all our guests. Thank you for your valued feedback.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night in March 2013. We just got a standard double room and it was pretty small, but charming and had good views. The bed was comfortable and the shower was really nice. It is very convenient as it is only a 5 minute walk from the train station and right across the street from Windsor Castle. We didn't eat at the hotel, so we cannot comment on the food. There were tons of pubs, cute little breakfast places and shops surrounding the hotel. We really enjoyed our stay here.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Harte and Garter hotel and spa. I hope it was everything you expected and more. Thank you so much for staying with us.