“Nice option in Windsor”

Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed at the Harte and Garter twice...the first time about 10 years ago; the second was 11-14 Feb. 2013. Well-placed on the Windsor High Street; easy to walk to everywhere around central Windsor. Hotel was apparently refurbished in 2007...room was quite comfortable, as was the bed. Thermostat in the room was slightly hard to find, but once located was great on controlling the temp. I only ate breakfast...buffet style, which was fine. Did note spend a great deal of time at the hotel as I was traveling on business. All in all, I enjoyed my 3 night stay and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ZurichDiver
Patrick D, Manager at Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

It’s reassuring that you enjoyed your stay with us some ten years after your first experience at the Harte and Garter.

We always strive to deliver a great experience for all our customers so your review is greatly appreciated.

The Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,572)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Afternoon tea was just ok and somewhat dissapointing. The ambience in general was cold, most of the waiters did not smile, cheap white bread for sandwiches, the place looked tired and in places dirty. What a shame as this hotel is opposite Windsor Castle and has the makings of an excellent venue, with a little TLC and a course in customer service it could be fabulous. Oh dear... even the ladies wc's looked dreadful....

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked a room via the hotel's website, gave all my CC details and received a confirmation. On arrival I was again asked for my CC for 'authorisation'. Once I had done so the receptionist asked me if I would like to 'authorise' for extras!!!! So now three authorisations later I'm wondering what on earth these people are doing!

Next to our room. Standard double Castle facing. Great view. Clean room but goodness what a small bed. I didn't even know that hotels still used 4'6" beds! The TV was wobbling all over the wall and I had to use a cup to wedge behind it to keep the TV upright. Nice. Now here's my pet hate. Hasn't anyone figured out how to provide fresh milk with tea trays yet?!? I can't abide the plastic milk, that is normally out of date, and a tray with no biscuits!!! We paid £180.00 for our room, why not charge us another pound and provide a 'nice' tea tray and fresh milk. Oh for British hoteliers to show some imagination!

Slept well apart from the odd reveller on the street below but glad to be on the third floor!

Breakfast, well yes another rubbish buffet, luke warm, dried up food that we English should be ashamed to put our names to. Why oh why can't we cook a great breakfast to order? As its the one meal guests endure prior to check out don't you think hoteliers would treat it with just a bit more gravity? I understand it's challenging to serve breakfast to order but with a few more staff and a bit more organisation it is and can be done well. How about aspiring to meet and indeed exceed the low expectations of your guests!!

Would I return or recommend? Well simply put no. It was a great base for Windsor but falls into the typical stereotype of an English provincial hotel. It could be so special!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brimbelles

I am sorry to read your disappointment relating to certain aspects of your stay. I can assure you that your comments have been discussed with the respective departments,
As it is valuable feedback like this which helps us identify areas for improvement, raise standards and provide a better experience for all our guests.

We genuinely appreciate the time you have taken to contact us and should you ever change your mind about staying with us again, please contact me directly to give us the opportunity to provide a stay which meets your requirements.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stopped here for breakfast with two Italian friends.Nothing remarkable about the food - the usual buffet - but it was a nice break on a wet, miserable, windy day. We lingered a long time, drank lots of tea and coffee, were not hassled by hovering staff wanting us to leave. I liked the decor - pretty well-preserved late Victorian. Perfect if you want to visit the castle, which is opposite - with the train station next door.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience and to also comment on our lovely decor which unfortunately was in contrast to the conditions outside!

Your comments have been passed on to my restaurant colleagues and hopefully we will welcome you and your friends back in more favourable weather conditions.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Have twice eaten here. On each visit the waiter started by telling us what was not available from the menu! Usually what we wanted to order!
Not a large menu to begin with and my starter was tasteless and the mashed potatoes on the main course were cold.
Food very average considering the nature of the place and very overpriced.
Disappointing.
Will not go back here. Plenty of other places to eat in this town.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael B

I am sorry to read of your disappointment relating to our food offering which I have brought to the attention of our Restaurant Manager.
One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your valued feedback

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I booked a table with views of the castle for my friends birthday lunch . The table was a booth with great views of the castle .. Perfect !!
Lunch was beautifully cooked and presented , drinks were not too badly priced.
We also had a cream tea for our dessert and it was amazing !!! Fresh warm scones, real clotted cream and lovely strawberry jam and plenty of it . It actually defeated me which I hate to admit lol !
All in all my friend was made to feel special and pampered . They even bought out a special birthday cake for her !
Well done Harte & Garter !!!
Your staff are a credit too you .
Your hotel is lovely !!!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank madtabby71

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience. In particular, we would like to thank you very much for your kind comments regarding our staff; we take a lot of pride in the service we deliver here at the Harte and Garter, and we are delighted that this aspect of your visit stood out for you.
Thank you very much once again for your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had High Tea @ this Hotel, recently. Sorry to say that this was abysmal, poor, & a rip-off. What was served up, did not match the picture in any way. Tea - weak, warm. Scones - from Tesco value range, not enough Jam. Cream - too stodgy. Cakes - tiny finger food canapés, Bland, soggy & tasteless. Worst sandwiches I've ever had. Again - bland, almost nil filling, & bent & squashed @ the corners. Hardly any variety. All together - a right royal rip-off.
Plus side - The glass of bubbly was acceptable & we had scenic view of the castle. Pleasant waiter & service, but did not bother asking if we needed any thing else or if all was to our satisfaction.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple