“A lovely Summer Break”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
Staffordshire Moorlands
“A lovely Summer Break”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at The Harte and Garter in August 2012. The experience was second to none the the location of the hotel and room we stayed in were superb. It also helped that it was the hottest weekend of the year and the atmosphere in Windsor was incredible.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
Breakfast - buffet style with lots of choice was very good.
The Spa was small and intimate and at an extra cost at weekends.

Room Tip: Definatley request a room that overlooks the Castle.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Warwick
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was a lovely stay.

From the first contact when I called to book a room (Lianne) I think was the young lady's name, I knew this was going to be great. I was not disappointed. When you make a booking you want to be greeted by someone pleasent and helpful. This young lady had it in abundance.
She agreed my rate and promised she would enusre I had an upgrade on arrival.
I arrived an hour late to be greeted by Mo who explained all the facilities and encouraged me to contact him if their was anything I required. Great service here also.
Then the room. Was it the biggest..no. Or the the newest again no. However it was spotlessly clean. The furnishings fitted the character of the hotel and the view (4th floor) out the window to the Castle & Windsow excellent. This hotel reminds me of as a child visiting a Hotel character & class.
I stayed for four days. Whilst their and on check out I was assisted by a very charismatic young lady from South Africa called Zalene. Her pretty name matches her disposition.
All in all a great stay apart from one thing which stopped me giving 5 stars.
The breakfast was very poor. It might have been cooked and presented by my boy (he is 8) completely unedible. The duty manager needs to have a word with the Restaurant Manager methinks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We recently had our wedding at this hotel. I cant say enough about the staff here, from the moment we decided to book this as our venue we knew we had made the right choice. Lauren took so much of the stress of planning this out of our hands from the big to the smallest detail. She gave us names of people to use for flowers, photography, disco etc and everyone we have had dealings with are just amazing. Nothing was too much trouble and she answered all those last minute bridezilla questions with professionalism and in a timely manner. Without Lauren and the rest of the staff at this hotel out day would have missed the sparkle that we had. The food was amazing and the bedrooms were clean and spacious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The location in great but all the rest is so bad! Service is incredible poor, breakfast is offering few options, room is smoky ... and if you see the inside garden will have mo view but lots of noise as they use it for service.
I am now in the hotel , having a bitter taste!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank AnaMariaCristina

Travelers are raving about these Windsor hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Let's start with the good points. The Harte & Garter is fantastically well located in the very heart of Windsor, and you could not get a better view of the Castle than from the front bedrooms. The decor is understated and comfortable, striking the right balance between traditional colours/fabrics and modern touches, such as gigantic ornately framed mirrors leaning up the walls in the bar.

However, the hotel is very expensive for what it is (even allowing for the location) and nowhere near as upmarket as it thinks it is or aspires to be. The staff are generally rather aloof and unhelpful (especially reception) - maybe they mistake misplaced snootiness for classiness.

Among my requirements for a business stay? Number 1, a desk and chair I can work at. The purported "desk" was more of a hall table - something you could have in your hallway with a nice vase of flowers on it - completely the wrong shape and height to use with a laptop, to read at or to use in conjunction with the chair provided. Number 2, task lighting. There was no adequate light over the so-called desk, only a very dim wall sconce with a low-energy bulb. You can read in bed, but only if you hang your upper body out of the top of the bed and stick your head under the lamp.

And what's with the obsession for covering every horizontal surface with a thick piece of glass? Very Hyacinth Bouquet. If you insist on doing it, at least use some non-slip sticky feet, otherwise the glass just slides off the table and is dangerous.

Next, the room temperature. I was boiling hot all night but could not open the window due to the very noisy street beneath. There was no visible control mechanism or thermostat for the room heating. Only in the morning, after dropping the hairdrier on the floor, I got on my knees to retrieve it and then realised that the heating control was around the side of a built in panel, only visible from underneath the "desk" and not accessible without moving said "desk"! Not even a little notice to show where the control panel is! Hopeless, thoughtless room design.

Next, the shower. A fixed head, I could not even change the angle, which was pointed beyond the ridiculous little glass screen on the end of the bath and sprayed directly onto the floor. I had to use one of my towels just to make the bathroom floor safe. It was not even a good shower: it was one of those where all of the water in the very wide spray pattern is on the outer edge, so to wash your hair you cannot stand centrally (unless you are 7 feet tall) but have to bob about trying to find a thin arc of water.

The self-service breakfast was marginally adequate: underwhelmingly un-special. However, the way it is presented is truly appalling. You sit in the bar - on uncomfortable couchettes round fixed tables (like a cheap cafe). You have to walk up steps to get to the breakfast buffet which is laid out along what is basically a corridor, then manoeuvre your way back down the steps whilst carrying food, juice etc. For the price I expected a proper cooked breakfast, not some warmed-up motorway-service type of fare. It wasn't even nice coffee (though that at least was served by the staff).

And the final irritation? No parking.

In short, superficially attractive but not a comfortable, convenient or well thought out amenity.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Devon1964
London
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were visiting Windsor Castle and to break up the day, we prebooked a table for 6 at the Harte and Garter Hotel. We arrived at 12.35pm and the restaurant looked relatively empty. We had to wait 35 minutes for our food order to be taken despite several staff wandering around.

We specifically requested that our roast beef be cooked thoroughly as we do not like our meat 'rare'. We waited an hour for our food to finally arrive, the beef was 'bloody'. We indicated politely that the beef was under cooked, the waiter looked most offended and shrugged his shoulders. We had to insist that the meals were taken away and recooked, when they reappeared, the whole meal was completely overcooked as if placed into a microwave. The meat was chewy with the majority dried fat and gristle. To try to hide the fact the meals had been thoroughly cremated, they covered it with a disgusting gravy which tasted of cornflour and lard! We hardly ate any and decided as we were still hungry to order a pudding - bad move! We didn't think you could get treacle sponge with toffee sauce wrong! We waited, and waited... finally a further 45 minutes later and several glances to the staff, our puddings finally arrived. A small, dry, totally disinteresting sponge (out of a packet?) with a sickly sweet sauce, filled an oversized plate. We finally left at 3.25pm (almost 3 hours later) by which time it was too late to return to Windsor Castle and we felt totally let down by our lunchtime experience.

We couldn't recommend anyone to eat here unless they enjoy an unbelieveable slow service, below standard food at top notch prices! Oh and to add insult to injury, they add a 10% service charge automatically, just incase you hadn't thought to reward their 'efforts'!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jason N
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We have just returned from a two night break at the Harte and Garter in Windsor. It was a pleasant hotel which was clean. Our room was a standard double at the back of the hotel as the charge for a castle view was so much more expensive. The staff were friendly enough and when we phoned down to housekeeping as we only had one towel they did bring extra up immediately. The bed wasn't hugely comfortable and did feel a little lopsided, I felt I was rolling out of it on the first night and swapped sides on the second with my husband. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room but at the price of the hotel and its 4* rating I would have expected some biscuits (picky I know) and also a shower cap in the bathroom (again these are really small points). It was fairly quiet in the room however as we were positioned by the stairs we could hear some comings and goings. We didn't eat at the hotel (breakfast wasn't included in the price and I'd read some unfavourable reviews of the attached restaurant). What was nice was that we had free entry to the Stables Spa facilities as it was during the week, there is apparently a charge at the weekends of £15 per person. I don't think this would be worth it but it being a freebie was a nice touch. The hotel is obviously in a great location for exploring the town centre and taking a walk across the river to Eton. All in all Windsor is a lovely place and this hotel is a good choice but next time we go I would explore a different hotel as it didn't thrill me enough to gain my loyalty.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple