“Reasonable hotel but not exceptional rooms”

Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
wales
“Reasonable hotel but not exceptional rooms”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I have stayed here several times over the past 2 years. I have always found The front of house staff are friendly and engaging, with a good sense of humour. The hotel is old and full of character, but this sometimes means the rooms - especially the singles - are a little below par for what one would expect. Room are clean and tidy, but there are always (in my stays at least) little niggling maintenance faults, like door hinges loose, or windows not closing properly, that just annoy you. Room service should be reporting these things routinely. Having said that, it is a good hotel in the very heart ( no pun!) of Windsor, and if you can get a good rate is well worth the stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank davegaijin
gmharte, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Mr Gaijin,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Harte and Garter Hotel and Spa and for being a regular guest.

Thank you also for taking the time to write a review and highlighting how pleased you have been with the service and hotel in general.

Thank you for bringing to my attention about the little maintenance niggles you have experienced within the bedroom. Housekeeping report any issues to my maintenance team who do their upmost to get them fixed in a timely manner. I am sorry if this has affected your stay.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

In the meantime if I can ever be of any assistance then please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Sam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I have just returned from my birthday weekend in Windsor. We booked to stay at the Harte and Garter in windsor and booked it because of the Spa.
The room we was given was lovely, very clean and overlooked the shops, a little noisy at night but nothing to bad!
The Dinner was a set menu, but the choice was given to order from the Ala Carte and to be honest it wasn't that great- I ordered the Chicken ceasar salad and was horrified when it came to the table with anchovies scattered over it ( I hate fish) and I hadn't seen them on the menu! the waiter changed it but it still smelt of fish and was awful. My husband ordered the Tempura Crab and that was brought to the table cold, and his dinner of pan fried duck was very small. So my Birthday dinner was a little on the sad side but Breakfast (the full monty) was very nice indeed even though we asked for poached eggs and got fried and the menu states Black pudding as part of the breakfast but there wasn't any given to us.

The staff all seemed very nice and polite and I think that always makes a nice hotel.
The Spa is not within the Hotel and you have to take a walk out of the back into a little side door, but the massage we had was amazing and the hydropool is great, We really enjoyed that part of our stay and wished we had booked more treatments.

Windsor is a really lovely place and our stay there was really relaxing and will book to go back some time in the future.

Room Tip: When you book, if its for a special occasion ask for the room with the roll top bath, or a room over...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Not all business trips are alike and my most recent stay at the Hart & Garter reflects this. My room faced onto Windsor Castle and the morning sun lights the walls up like beacon, not such a bad sight in the morning. Ideally placed in the central main street in Windsor, the hotel not only has wonderful rooms, it is placed close to everything in walking distance.

Room Tip: Rooms at the fromnt have an amazing view, an small balconies
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
London, UK
Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here the night after our wedding. It hotel is very nice - very nice rooms. The ony downside was that I requested a castle view and ended up with a view of the old station roof. The duty manager was very apologetic and offered us a free drink and a free cream tea to compensate us, and offered to move us for the second night however we didn't want to move at that point.

Location is fantastic, as was breakfast. The spa is very nice, but the pool is a little small.

Room Tip: Ask (and confirm) a castle view!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kingston upon Hull
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Let me start by saying that this booking was for a single room. When travelling on business and on the occasions where you are given a single room rather than a double for single occupancy, the rooms are often small and generally not as good. I stayed here as a child in the 1980's when this place was owned and operated by the Berni Inns Group, any one around then should remember the good brunch that they offered during a stay there! Anyway, enough of the past!

Public areas of the hotel:

The outside of the hotel is very welcoming and looks to be a wonderful location right opposite Windsor Castle. Once you step inside there is a quality feel to the hotel, with the bar/restaurant area to the right, which again looks very inviting.

The Room:

As I have said already, this was a single room so please take this into account when considering this review, but it was an odd shape. Almost a mini corridor from the bedroom door, up three stairs with the bathroom to the right and the room opening up to the left. There wasn't a main light on the roof, the best light to light the room being the side light on the table. This really wasn't adequate made the room very, very dark which therefore made it not a very nice place to be. This was not that the light was not working, simply that there is not light fitting there to work! The bathroom was huge, especially in comparison to the bedroom. However I noticed, just prior to using the bath, that the wooden sash window that cam down to the side of the bath has suffered significantly from rot, quite understandable because of its location, however this had attempted to be remedied by the use of filler, which can be best described as not a professional job. The filler was still grey in colour and had not been finished off properly in my opinion. The mattress on the bed had a tendency to throw you to one side for one reason or another, this made the sleeping experience not that great.

The Bar:

After arriving back at the hotel following the very old put across the road closing at 23:00hrs, I decided to take a beer in the hotel bar. After waiting around 15 minutes for someone to arrive at the bar to begin serving me, the individual who arrived appeared to be the night watchman/security whose customer service skills and his ability to communicate effectively were non existent. Firstly after interrogating me, well thats how if felt, about my status, i.e. resident or non resident, which was undertaken in a very accusatory manner he proceeded to attempt to pull a pint of larger. Just as he was about to start a person, who appeared to be the bar man arrived. Now it might just be me being a little over sensitive, but I got the feeling that these two didn't get on. I could possible understand this as the night watchman did seem to think that he was part of MI5. So the barman now took over the pulling of the pint, which after the 15 minute wait went down very nicely. This was a big let down at this hotel for me! I've been to Windsor many times and I'm not judging the town, or the country by what I experienced at this hotel, however if I had travelled half way around the world to be met with that kind of attitude at 11:30 at night I would be less than impressed and might lead one to think that the hotels in this country are very much like our beloved Basil's Fawlty Towers!

The Breakfast:

This bit was great, nice food, well cooked, good service and above all the ability to eat a good English breakfast with a perfect view over Windsor Castle.

In General:

I feel that a number of events have conspired against me on this visit to end up with a less than glowing review. I genuinely believe that the issues with the room will be limited to single rooms and that staying in a double or bigger you would have no problems.

The bar, well if you are reading this Harte & Garter management and staff you need to sort this bit out, firstly guests should not feel interrogated over their residency status, accept that you need to be asked, but the key is to ask nicely and without being officious. Your barman, well he may be less than happy all the time, however, he was perfectly polite and pleasant to me, but not to your night watchman.

In Summary:

I think that overall I would have to recommend this hotel, even given my experience, as I have said above I feel that this would be a collection of one off events. However being English, being on business and having been to Windsor many times before this would not taint my view of the place, nor stop me from going again. However, if I had saved for some time to be able to travel around the world to visit Windsor and the Castle and had a similar experience I would be quite disappointed and feel let down. This is reflected in my score of poor on service and sleep quality. A plea to the management and owners, consider these little things because these are the things that can taint your reputation, quality and attention to detail will always guarantee return visits!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank jamiea3
gmharte, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
Dear Jamie,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Harte and Garter Hotel and Spa.

Thank you also for taking the time to write a review, I really appreciate your feedback and positive comments regarding the location, ambiance and breakfast.

The hotel has 79 bedrooms in total and 14 of them are single rooms. Thank you for making me aware of the lack of light within your room this has now been rectified and we have installed additional lighting. We have also replaced the Sash window within this room and a couple of other rooms.

I am very sorry of the poor service you received by the night supervisor and you certainly should not have felt as if you were being interrogated. This is certainly something where further training and coaching will take place so that we offer a great standard of service 24 hours a day.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed at the Harte and Garter on business, initially tempted by the very reasonable prices and good recent reviews; I was not disappointed. From the minute I walked through the door I was given a very warm welcome from the lady at reception and despite the card machine not working I was shown to my room, let in and told a card would be brought to me as soon as the matter was fixed. Well sure enough the card was delivered, as was the room service I ordered and the iron and ironing board, all with a smile by the various members of staff. I didn't eat in the restaurant but both that and the bar area looked very appealing. My room had good space and seating in which to do my work too. The bed was very comfortable with good pillows and I had a sound night's sleep.

The hotel also has a bit of "wow" factor up its sleeve too, if you get an upper floor at the front of the hotel you will see what I mean - Windsor Castle in all its glory. It was quite a sight when I flung the curtains open in the morning!! I had never been to Windsor before, but fully intend to return as a tourist as it looks a great place to visit. I will also be very happy to book into the Harte & Garter again. Well done everyone, keep it up!!

Room Tip: Get an upper floor at the front if you want a Castle view!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Harte and Garter Hotel and Spa.

Thank you also for taking the time to write a review, I really appreciate your feedback and positive comments regarding the hotel and service you received, I will be sure to pass them onto my team.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Gift from mum for our anniversary. We stayed in an executive room and the bathroom was to die for. Very clean room and nicely decorated. Reception staff not very friendly don't think we received one smile from her. Food in restaurant was lovely. We will definitely be returning to stay again.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Harte and Garter Hotel and Spa.

Thank you also for taking the time to write a review, I really appreciate your feedback and positive comments I am delighted that you thought the room was fantastic and the food was to die for. I was disappointed to hear that you did not receive a smile from reception this is something that I will certainly be working on to ensure customer service is maximised.