“Okay, but some basic issues”

Holiday Inn Express Windsor
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

The WiFi is free, but incredibly slow, so I'm using my mobile phone as a wireless access point instead. Reception forgot to take a pure-authorisation of my credit card. I've been given a disabled room as there aren't any standard rooms. The fridge didn't work, so my drink wasn't cold. You have to press a button to get into the car park - it isn't obvious at first and the ramp into the car park is very steep (£10 per night to park).

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
GMHIEXWindsor, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your feedback. I will get our IT company to look into your Wi-Fi issue today to ensure that our guest are not inconvenienced.

Our usual overall Wi-fi satisfaction score is between 87% to 91%. We aplogise for this inconvenience & hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Windsor

Reviewed March 1, 2014

My wife and I together with our adult daughter booked two rooms for Saturday night, 15th February,2014. We have stayed here on a couple of previous occasions so knew what to expect. The visit was part of our Golden Wedding celebrations so we wanted everything to go well and were not disappointed. The reception was friendly and the room, warm, clean. comfortable and spacious. In particular the bathroon was well equipped with a really big "double" sized and powerful shower The included breakfast was not exactly fine dining but completely adequate. One little gripe was the £10 per night parking charge but, at least, it was a secure underground car park. Also, at £63, it is one of the most expensive Express Holiday Inns in the country but, heh, it was Windsor!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, even ones overlooking the road which is quiet at night.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMHIEXWindsor, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcome you & your family back soon.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed February 23, 2014

A great location with a ten minute walk to the castle and centre of windsor. Good sized room. Very soft bed, but great shower. Not the fanciest hotel, but you know what you are getting and still a bargain price, even with paying £10 for the parking. Would come back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam,
Thank you for your review. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you would choose to stay with us again.
Look forward to welcome you back.
Yours Sincerely

Reviewed February 20, 2014

First time staying in this hotel, was tempted to do so with a social IHG members rate.. however as my accommodation date approached, the rate dropped below the "IHG exclusive rate" and IHG would;t honour it as the rate i paid was considered prepaid regardless of a member or not (Marriott hotels would ...1st negative arrival experience).

Anyway - checked into the hotel early, which I appreciated (the room assigned was not ready, however they located another) - which is fine. Upon entering the room, I was not informed a key card was required to activate the electricity (something I would think would be part of the check-in speech) needless to say, I eventually discovered it.

The room was clean, however "cheap" looking. i appreciate the modern "boutique" style, however it somewhat resembled an IKEA catalog. All in all , I cannot fault the room too much as it was comfortable, but stained (furniture), the washroom was clean, and shower had great water pressure! It was a great way to start the day after a terrible nights sleep.

The bed in the room was T E R R I B L E. I had to literally sleep on my side, holding onto the side of the mattress so I wouldn't fall in the large dip in the middle of mattress. This mattress should have been replaced long ago. I didn't advise the reception desk of this, as I was quite busy during my time in Windsor, and was not at the hotel a lot.

Also, the room does not come with an iron/board. I requested one from the desk, which I had to pick up (understandable in a select service hotel), the iron didn't work at all and had wires sticking out, the the foam cover on the board looked like someone or something clawed it to shreds (foam sticking out everywhere). This was quickly resolved when brought to the attention of the desk.

I took advantage of the complimentary breakfast offered, which was adequate (scrambled eggs, baked beans, cereal, rolls, yogurt, juice, coffee, etc). I also dined once during dinner and enjoyed Curry Chicken, for the most part (sauce was watery). Also, tried their chips which were soggy and tasteless.

Needless to say, It suited my purpose, but based on this experience, I would be very unlikely to return. If your on a budget, this hotel will suit your needs - but remember, as the saying goes - you get what you paid for.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear andrewlorens,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your recent stay. It is great to hear you found the complimentary breakfast and our clean room commendable. However, I am deeply sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience regarding the condition of the bed. Your comments have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate department for necessary actions.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We regularly visit Windsor and have had mixed experiences of the Windsor hotels. Booked this hotel for a party of 6, but some breakdown in communication at the central booking ( NOT the hotel itself) left us short of some rooms. Once I contacted the hotel itself, the manager Garad, sorted everything out efficiently and without fuss. The rooms are very well appointed, clean and comfortable. The whole party agreed that it was the best hotel stay in 5 years of regularly coming to Windsor. Breakfast food was good - although it does get a bit hectic in the relatively small self-service area at busy times. A very good hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank davegaijin
GMHIEXWindsor, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you and your party experienced the same level of service at the hotel. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome all of you back to the hotel.
Assuring you of our best

Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is a new hotel and well worth a look, the staff are friendly and helpfull. The rooms are clean and quite well turned out, but it is a new hotel. The area boasts some nice places to eat but check the tripadvisor first there is a rather bad Indian quite close. But Windsor is great for London just hop the train and the races are quite close if that's your bag. My wife and I will be visiting again just for the staff, free breakfast and lovely Windsor ten mins walk away. For the plane spotter it's on the direct approach to heathrow.

Room Tip: Get there early for parking in secure park.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn8038

Dear Sir/Madam,
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing it with us. We hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Best Regards

Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is a very good hotel for people who have business in the area or want to see the Windsor sites. Hotels on the western side of the London run very high in price so finding one that doesn't break the bank and yet provides decent accommodations can be a challenge. This HI Express accomplished that for me. The location was indeed very good. I had business in Bracknell, which was a reasonable taxi ride down the road. It was also not far from Heathrow as a taxi ride to and from the airport was not terribly expensive (about £20). In addition, the location was fabulous from the standpoint of being within walking distance of the town centre area as well as the Castle (about 10-15 and 15-20 minutes, respectively). The exterior was reasonably nice and the lobby area was quite spacious, neat and comfortable. My check-in experience was without incident as the chap who processed me was quite polite and engaging. He also was quite helpful with directions and options with regard to places to eat. There were indeed multiple dinner options within walking distance. My room was clean and reasonably spacious. The amenities worked fine throughout my stay including the WiFi. The number of TV stations available was a bit disappointing but I am not sure this HI is alone in that deficiency as I experienced this regularly in the UK and Ireland. The morning breakfast, which was included with the room rate, was adequate with eggs and sausages available as hot options in addition to the standard cold options of yogurt, fruit, cereals and breads. The price of the room was a bit high in general (£105) but when I considered the other options nearby, it became clear that this was just an expensive spot. In general, I was quite happy with this option considering the other high-priced alternatives in the area. It was a good choice for conducting my business and for seeing some of the sights in Windsor.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Debbie K

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your positive review, which I will share with my team. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. My team and myslef look forward to welcome you back to the hotel.
Best Regards