“Dissapointing when compared to similar types of hotels.”

Legoland Windsor Resort Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Our party consisted of 6 adults, two 7 year olds, an 11 year old and a 12 year old. Wew were there to celebrate 2 birthdays.

When we arrived at the hotel all the children regardless of age were very exited to see the huge lego dragon outside belching smoke. Even the adults rediscovered their inner child.

Reception was very efficient and booking in took next to no time, especially as we were having 3 rooms. We had 3 Kingdom rooms on level 2, which is the same level as the bar and restaurant, but we found this to be no problem with noise. One major problem for the hotel is that it only has 2 rather small lifts. We spent ages waiting for them when we used them and used the stairs alot. Needed to have double this really. If you have a wheelchair user bear this inmind.

The rooms were amazing. The children loved having there own no adult area and could not wait to solve the puzzel and open the safe.

The childrens play area within the hotel looked great but after a while it lost its appeal as there was not really much to do. Although the website said there was entertainment there was no sign saying where and no one we spoke(guests) saw any either.

We ate in Bricks Family Restuarant. This was £18.95 per adult and £7.95 per child for an all you could eat and drink (soft drinks only) buffett. Personally I found the choice of food for both the children and adults rather limited. What was there was not refilled very often and also tasted quiet bland. One up side though was the staff had no proble with us taking drinks out of their and sitting in the bar area with them after dinner.

Now the Swimming pool area. The pool had been closed for a some time prior to our stay and only reopened the day before. This could explain why it was so cold in their. Our kids love water but even they only managesd half an hour before asking to leave. Another problemis the small size of the pool area. There were at most 50 people in their but the noise level because of its size sounded like 5000. The life guard had to wear ear protectors. If you do use the pool my best advise is to change before you go down to it as the changing rooms are too small to accomodate more than a few people at a time. We spent 15 minutes afterwards waiting to get dried and changed.

Breakfast the following day was another buffet and again the food was ok but nothing special.

Over all the kids had a great time which is why we went there. And for the price of £89 per room including breakfast I cant really justify complaining. However when I compare the Legoland Hotel to Splash at Alton Towers there is no comparsion. Yes you pay more for Splash but its worth it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Neil M

Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

My 1st ever visit & never again! Rude & limited staff on arrival whilst reception was full of guests awaiting check in & the lady who checked me did not welcome me, no hello, did not give me any details of where my room was or where breakfast would be? All service in the hotel was very poor & that was only if myself or my colleagues could find members of staff. The bars were unattended most of the time & when I eventually found where breakfast was to be served, the staff stood around chatting while I was totally ignored, I found my own way around & there were only 3 guests in the entire restaurant. My bed was very comfortable, but the cushions on it were badly stained. I was there on business & would not advise any of our teams stay again. Very poor overall & I'm so pleased I had not taken my children previously, I would have felt so let down. The hotel only caters for children & very uncomfortable for adults. The lack of adult balanced amenities suprised me given the conference facilities there. Sitting in the bar area was like sitting in the clinical set of the CBBs tv studio. Avoid - Alton towers is far far superior.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Julie P
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed here with our two children, aged 5 and 7. They loved everything about this hotel, including the entertainment and the pool. They loved the lego that is found at different parts around the hotel especially in the reception area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jill A
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Great family day. Went October half term and the longest we queued was about 40 mins for Atlantis, but the queue kept moving. Park opened at 10am bit of a queue to the internal gates, but once they opened it wasn't too bad. Definitely but your tix in advance, online discounts etc, never buy on the gate. Will defo go back. Daughter was 3 at the time, and plenty for her to do.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Hantise
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Firstly, this visit was for a conference during the park winter closure period. ie no kids.

Outside serious minus temperatures.The park entrance road and car parking were all well gritted.

Check in was with our group. As far as I could see there were only a handful of other guests (no families) so unable to comment on what the front desk would be like with a load of families.

I was allocated on the 3rd Floor. Each floor appears to have a different theme eg 3=Pirates, 4=Adventure- so if you want a specific theme best to check when booking.

The lifts (2) from the lobby seem quite small and narrow. Could build up in peak periods.You need your room keycard to activate.

Room.
My room was brilliant. I was allocated a family room, which entails a separate cove with a bunk bed. The main bedroom is a good size and has a large bed.

Kettle and plenty of tea/coffee provided.
Wall mounted flat screen TV.
No minibar (hooray!).
Box of Lego pieces ( not to take away).

The bathroom was also excellent. Quality hardware.The bath has a fixed overhead shower and separate hand shower. I have a "thing" about trendy showers with obscure operating instructions. The controls here, with "old school" taps/faucets, separate for on/off and temperature, are an object lesson in simplicity- important with kids using.

Much time and effort has clearly been spent making staying here a great experience for families.
The decor was pirate themed throughout, no surprise there, but added interactive items.
For instance, there is a treasure chest/safe secured with a tumbler lock. A sheet is provided with a list of questions designed to find clues secreted around the room. These will provide the numbers for the lock. When you open the chest/safe there are a couple of packets of Lego as reward. Simple but clever.

Bed was very comfortable.

Complementary wi-fi. Excellent. I think that this is standard and not just in with our corporate booking,best to check. It was easy to connect.

Main Areas:

The dining area was OK. To my eyes the circular tables were very close and seemed a bit too small, with four adults. Add/substitute kids with their paraphenalia and could be even more cosy, however no families here so I am surmising.

There is a separate play area.

The self serve buffet breakfast was very acceptable. A shame only scrambled egg offered, but all the hot food was hot and fresh.

The pool and gym were out of action (I think for out of season maintenance) so unable to comment.

Downsides:
None really.
The two things I always get cranky on- free wi-fi and simple showers- were both admirably catered for.

It should be noted that the hotel is under the flightpath in to nearby Heathow. This means an early morning start for noisy low flying overhead (although good for tyro plane spotters). Did not bother me as I wake early anyway, but should be borne in mind.

Price? I do not know how much this would cost in season. The price had I stayed an extra night was not cheap, but probably would not be unreasonable if you and your family wanted this as a base for the area out of season eg Windsor Castle etc .

I would definitely price this up for a return visit with the grandkids. I visited the Theme Park last year and the benefit of being on site when it opens is a major one, if only to avoid traffic queues.

I have to say that I really enjoyed staying here.

What I like is that someone has sat back and thought about how to make staying here an exciting and memorable one for families, and I think it succeeds.

Room Tip: Think about what theme would your kids prefer when making the booking.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank tripeagle
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very excited about coming here Dec 27 and 28 and chose a premium pirate themed lake view room. Son enjoyed opening the treasure chest in the room. The Lego supplied consisted of only a small number of rectangular bricks not even enough to build a tower. Really disappointing for a Lego fan. Decor in the room was fun and as outlined on the website but the cleanliness was not up to my standards with the toilet still with a brown stain near the s bend - a real turn off and the rest of the room basically clean. A cleaning rag was left on the side. Breakfast was not well managed for the large numbers of guests there at that time. Food was running out and pretty average like a school cafeteria and simple things like cutlery running out perhaps understaffed. Pool was fun but quite small and crowded. We had been warned that legoland would not be open but there is not really enough to do here to warrant the price without it. The only advantage would be getting early entry to the park if you stay there,

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband, 6 yr old son and I stayed here 3rd Jan as a base to then go into London the following day. hotel looks fab, reception area brilliant too, check - in staff friendly and efficient. I had booked a standard Kingdom room after reading the reviews, and it was excellent, my son loved his own area and the treasure hunt, loved the carpet, and hallway one too interior design is fantastic.
Wifi is now free which was a relief as I do hate hotels who charge for something that has become a way of life. When we went to sleep we turned the air conditioning off, but it still came on and was very noisy, thank goodness we had earplugs also for the planes flying over too!
My husband and son went into the pool, you need £1 for the locker, yes it is small for the size of the hotel, there were approx 30 in there and it looked busy, it is open until 8pm and check-in is at 3pm. I would say in summer this will be a problem, hope they introduce a booking system, as lots people going to be disappointed to not get in. The pool at Disneyland Hotel is the same size, only difference is DLP is open till 10pm in summer so pool not so important, legoland closes at 6pm? So one big rush for the pool. There is a nice outdoor seating area by the restaurant, I was surprised not to see an outdoor play area for those summer evenings after the park has closed and you can't get into the pool. It would take the pressure off the pool.
After reading the reviews we did not want to risk paying out £50 for the buffet, we ate at Harvester which was lovely. We had breakfast, I ate continental which was good, my husband had the cooked breakfast which he said was very poor, cheap ingredients used, and he has had a fair few hotel breakfasts in his time! I think the hotel is addressing the food as we had a food specific survey to fill out in our room.
Checkout is 10 am, which I personally think is too early after a late 3pm check-in and with kids to get moving. Checkout good, we used the express checkout.
The shop is very expensive, why am I surprised with a captive audience and the extreme likelihood of pester power. My son chose a blue lego brick key ring, hollow brick, metal pin through it and key ring attached to pin, I guessed it would be about £2, it was £3.99 WOW!!!! Ripped off!!!!
We have stayed once, glad we have, and glad we visited when it wasn't too busy.
My son loved it, which was the most important.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family