“Not to be missed”

Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Windsor
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Windsor Castle is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world and offers an extraordinarily rich and varied day out. Throughout its history, the Castle has been redecorated, enlarged and rebuilt. Today The Queen spends most of her private weekends at the Castle, which is also used regularly for ceremonial and State occasions. Your ticket to Windsor Castle includes entry to our exhibition Waterloo at Windsor.
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Our family of three visited London the first week of October. We hired a private guide and took the train from London to Windsor. The size of the castle was unexpected as I had only seen pictures of certain areas of the castle before. The guide, of course, made the trip so enjoyable. I was surprised also that we were able to access so many of the rooms in the castle. Each room is still functional and they were preparing for a dinner to be held later in the week, so we were able to see them in the midst of the preparation. We also took a walk to Eaton, which was very quaint. If you enjoy castles, do not miss this historic visit.

1  Thank Briar502
Write a ReviewReviews (9,962)

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Little tip....get your ticket stamped so you can come back any time, especially if you cant acess all areas on your first visit.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Windsor Castle is down the road from us so we forget how great it is. We go there on a rainy day so we'll be indoors and are never disappointed. It is brilliant! The Long Gallery and St George's Chapel rank amongst the most impressive places in the world. Whether you are a republican or a royalist you will be impressed.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Tight 'air-port' style security checks, unpleasant staff and terrible parking tarnished my visit to this great castle.
Once we walked to the castle by parking at the bottom of the hill in a private 'pay and display' car park we cued to get in via the 'bag check' entrance and once inside viewed the castle.
It is a wonderful, unique place but I would not visit again as it really is commercialized and the staff inside with a few exceptions made me feel uncomfortable. Perhaps they are told to be unapproachable. I understand they have to be watchful but surely they can do this without hostility.

I did feel that visitors must be a little disappointed by the rigmarole to get in and the awful, tacky shop where most items are imported.

As my title says, reading a book about this castle would keep it magical; the reality is a wake up to the modern age.

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

There is so much to see and marvel at, soak up the history of the place. The headphone tour is brilliant you have all the facts at your fingertips. Never thought I would enjoy it as much as I did, it really surprised me.

1  Thank Gail A