“GREAT DAY OUT”

Ranked #1 of 36 things to do in Windsor
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Windsor Castle is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world and offers an extraordinarily rich and varied day out. Throughout its history, the Castle has been redecorated, enlarged and rebuilt. Today The Queen spends most of her private weekends at the Castle, which is also used regularly for ceremonial and State occasions.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I wasn't that excited at the thought of going to Windsor Castle but it was a pleasant surprise. The grounds are beautiful, the castle also. Great day out for location near Eaton and lots of lovely shops to see too.

Write a ReviewReviews (11,531)
All reviews
in 1,395 reviews
"dollhouse"
in 236 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

First, let me start out by saying that this castle is absolutely amazing! I could have spent all day here!

Then, let me get some advice out of the way:
First, buy your tickets online, prior to arrival. We arrived just after it opened and I'm not sure how long the line was for same-day ticket purchase then security, but it wasn't pretty. We still spent about 10 minutes between ticket pick-up and security, but that was FAR less than what we would have spent. Save yourself some time and purchase online.

Second, everything we read said that the changing of the guard starts at 1100. Well, although the main portion won't start until 1100, they really start at about 1040. First, I would highly recommend seeing the changing of the guard. I thought it was better then the one at Buckingham. Second, I would get there around 1030. Go down and get your pictures of the marching guard. At about 1040, security will clear the courtyard behind pre-setup crowd control barriers. Since you're already in the square, go choose a spot right along the barriers and have a front row "seat" (there are no seats) for everything. The "Old Guard" (the guards that have been on shift) will march out in formation and stand to await the arrival of their replacements, the "New Guard". Granted, you'll have to wait for awhile, as they don't show up until right about 1100, but hey, you have a front row seat!

Third, where to stand? Well, it depends. We stood with a clear view of the courtyard, pretty much smack in the middle. I could see the entire thing. The problem with this is that we didn't see the band and new guard march in through the gate to the left. The good news was that I got a great view of everything happening within the courtyard, which was the main attraction. There were points were I literally could have reached out and touched some of the guards, that's how close we were. (For the record, DO NOT do this. Just sayin')

The changing of the guards is quite a long process, but it's pretty cool to watch. I'd suggest to stay for the whole thing. However, the reason you should arrive early and take pictures of the marching guard, is that when the change is complete, the entire mass of people (a lot) that has gathered to watch all want the same picture when security re-opens the courtyard. Unless you want 14 other tourists in your picture, go prior.

Alright, now that the advice piece is complete. The castle is awesome. From the gardens to the state apartments. All the personnel in the rooms are very knowledgeable, so if you have questions, just ask. As I said in the beginning, I could have spent all day here, but we only had two weeks and needed to get on to see more things. Amazing time, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank Cory J
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We visited this as a free attraction with the London Pass and had a great time. Even our teenagers enjoyed learning about the history of the castle with the audio guide. We got there early to see the Changing of the Guard here instead of at Buckingham Palace and we enjoyed it. The band even played music from Star Wars and Star Trek! Windsor is a lovely town. We had lunch in an outdoor cafe with views of the castle and we spent the afternoon shopping at the many quaint little shops and bigger well known stores as well. It was my favorite day of our vacation!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

First of I would recommend you buy your tickets in advance off online. When we got there was a huge amount of people probably a two hour wait. We had per purchased tickets and got in in about 5 min,the audio guides were helpful and fun I would defiantly recommend you get one. Just a huge castle very vast and amazing.

1  Thank Reid B