“Decidedly Average”

La Bodega
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have walked past this place hundreds of times without being tempted as it looks decidedly average and boring from the outside but decided to give it a go - not a memorable experience.The restaurant was less than half full on a Saturday night which speaks for itself.
The wine list is extensive and they are very proud of it ( showing us the display of wine bottles on one wall) however it appears that nobody had any knowledge whatsoever of the wines so you need to know what you are doing or be prepared to take a guess. The service was good otherwise.
We ordered from the tapas menu and had 10 dishes for 4 of us which was plenty. The food was good and there was a reasonable choice. It was hot and came in good time. We didn't have dessert so cannot comment.
Despite living in Windsor I am not sure that I will go back. There are plenty of other places to eat.

1  Thank jeffreyshouse
There are newer reviews for La Bodega

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Very poor service , almost bordering on insolent , food was also so so ( nothing to write home about) the paella we ordered was also too salty. This restaurant really needs to review their food and service as after my experience, my family and I won't be going back.

2  Thank shalom7
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My friend and I, both lactose intolerant, chose this restaurant because we wanted Tapas. We let the waiter know that we are lactose intolerant, and asked them to ensure that the dishes we chose were lactose free (usually not a problem with tapas as oil is used instead of butter generally). The service was exceptionally slow, and the dishes we had were not great. We mentioned to the waiter that the chorizo was not good enough, but we also found the meatballs and sauce flavourless. The waitress we originally had was so poor another waiter ended up doing most of it. The other thing we noticed was that the dessert trolley was left out in the restaurant the whole time we were there, the puddings uncovered. I'm sure they should have been in the fridge.

I felt the prices would have been slightly high had the food been good, but in fact was vastly overpriced given the poor quality. I can, however, recommend the sangria.

2  Thank Juliathesecond
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The meal was OK, the portions a little larger than normal tapas and it was mostly edible, but certainly not anything special. The flat bread was so over cooked it was like a poppadom. The service was as expected, but we had a real shock when the bill arrived, it was extortionate for the quality and amount of food we had.

3  Thank feebeegee
Reviewed August 8, 2012

For such a wealthy town, Windsor desperately needs a couple of decent places to feed the locals and not the swarms of day trippers. Having always given this place a wide berth, we were persuaded in by fellow residents who said it was better than it used to be...

Anyway, it's not a tapas bar - it's totally overpriced and the menu is unimaginative. The service is chaotic and haphazard (but, to be fair to the staff, they were very pleasant) but the food is the real problem. Do you know that feeling when you know the food is going to disappoint so you order conservatively - so instead of ordering anything you might want, you order meatballs and tortilla, hoping the chef can't mess it up...? Oh yes he can.

Portions were actually pretty large - perhaps mindfull of criticism of small portions they have upped the sizes. But the chef hasn't got a clue what he's doing, and I guess the manager doesn't give two hoots as long as johnny tourist comes and spends his dosh here, so putting more on plates doesn't make a difference.

On our walk home, I remarked to my wife that for the 70 odd quid we had just spent on this rubbish we could have eaten lobster, fillet steak and a fantastic bottle of wine at home. Next time...

3  Thank ricardelli