“BEST HOTEL IN WINDSOR”

Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stunning location. Top quality room. Upgraded to a 'Privilage' room, with complimentary soft drinks in fridge & nespresso coffee machine and view of Windsor Castle...definitely worth the extra £20.
Breakfast was a stunning set-up and tasted fantastic & fresh. We took our 4yr old daughter with us and the staff couldn't do enough for us, we felt very welcome and well looked after.
Ignore low star reviews here, obviously isolated and rare case(s).
Hotel soon to have a refit, to upgrade it to 4 Star rating...hope to go back there again soon!

Stayed: February 2014
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear JasonC150,

Thank you for your recent review, I was delighted you had a great stay with us and will be pleased to share your feedback with the team. You are correct in saying we are shortly due a refurbishment throughout the hotel further improving our standards. I look forward to welcoming you back to Windsor in the near future.

David Hayden

Write a ReviewReviews (1,754)

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Arriving for a weekend reunion, check in was straight forward, efficient, friendly and helpful.
The allocated room was positioned towards the rear and was quiet except for some squeaky floor boards above us, though this didn’t overly bother us. The room was clean and comfortable with a reasonable sized bathroom. A room with disabled facilities was requested prior to arrival but was not offered on arrival, the bathroom included a shower with a single handgrip and this served its purpose although for others with a disability, having to cock your leg over the bathtub trying to get into the shower might prove to be a challenge and a dangerous.

Facilities in the room were as expected, a TV with a range of just over a dozen channels with one or two foreign language channels also offered. Lighting within the room was adequate, too often nowadays a number of rooms I’ve stayed in are not well lighted, very dark in many cases.
Free Wi-Fi is offered with the hotel rooms and public areas, which is a very good addition. Additional paid for Wi-Fi facilities are also offered and ideal for those on a business stay.

Breakfast was not included in my booking, an additional charge of £16.50 applies for each breakfast taken, and this is grossly overpriced. I’ve stayed in a number of five star hotels in the UK and overseas, I can’t think of one that charged £16.50 for breakfast. I did contact the hotel prior to my arrival requesting that breakfast be added to my package, this was done via the Mercure website, although I received confirmation that my message had been received, I did not get a reply and have still not had a reply since returning from Windsor some days ago. Hotels spend great sums of money on marketing but if they are unable to communicate with customers through the simple method of an email or online website this effort is a complete waste of money.
On arrival at the hotel I was able to add Breakfast for £10 rather than £16.50, still a bit on the high end but at least it was slightly cheaper. The breakfast served was good, but across the road at a nearby pub a full English breakfast was being served for just over £5 from 9AM, so it might be worth hotel guests just crossing the road for breakfast, other restaurants close by were also offering a better value breakfast.

All in all a pleasant visit with pleasant staff in all areas. The bar facility is also pleasant.

Room Tip: If Breakfast is not included in your deal - ask to have it added or use the traditional and friendly...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear jmbrighton,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with ourselves and for your feedback. Please be assured we will discuss your comments and take any necessary action. Our breakfast price at £16.50 does include a full continental offering, a full hot buffet selection, unlimited tea/coffee and toast as well as a full selection of a la carte items such as kippers, eggs benedicte and many other choices which we do feel offers fantastic variety and options to our customers. We do as you mention also offer guests a reduced rate of £10 per person for breakfast if they book this in advance with ourselves. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night whilst down for the England international. The room was ok but in need of a bit of TLC. Reception very pleasant and helpful, as are the staff. A nice enough stay, but if I were to come to Windsor again I would stay in the Macdonalds Windsor Hotel every time. A little more expensive but much better.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Asq32874,

Thank you for your recent review and postive feedback regarding the service from the team you received. I'm pleased you had a pleasant stay with us as a stop over for the 6 nations and hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed for a wedding in February. The room was OK but the bathroom was not big enough to swing a cat. It was probably less than 2 metres square so was quite a squeeze. I object to menus that give a price and then add VAT when you get the bill - a bit too sneaky for me. The car parking is chaotic. There is no explanation about how the system works or the system of changing paper tickets for plastic cards and paying £10 for the privilege of using the hotel car park, This hotel is the equivalent of Ryanair - it looks good value until you add all the extras - breakfast, parking, VAT etc. And £5 for a pint of beer....!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear traveller Telford,

Thank you for your recent review. I am not aware of any menu's within the building that do not include the VAT within the price, when we give a receipt though there will be a full VAT breakdown on here as many of our guests need this to claim VAT back however the total price will match the price we advertise. I will discuss with the Front Office team as to why we did not explain our car parking charges and procedures at check-in as this is our normal working practise and do advertise on our website and all 3rd party websites that car parking is chargeable at £10 per day for residents. Please accept my apologies that you did not have the right experience at the hotel.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Visited here for our first wedding anniversary, on arrival we were given a complimentary upgrade which was very thoughtful.
We had the wind and dine package, the meal of the hotel was very nice and the accompanying wines which were chosen by the staff were lovely. The rooms were very nice and exceptionally clean, the location, right accross from Windsor Castle was perfect. The bar ambience was very nice and relaxed wioth a fine selection of wines and cocktails.
The Breakfast was also top notch, perfectly cooked sausages and lots of them! Winner.
Lovely for a couples break.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Ben S,

Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had a perfect anniversary stay with us and will be pleased to share the feedback of your experience with the team. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My partner and I booked a 'Privilege' room for Friday 14th February and as we were arriving late and it was Valentine's we pre-booked and paid for the late check until 6pm. We arrived at the hotel late on Friday night and when we checked in the receptionist confirmed all of the details.

Then on Saturday morning, circa 9.15am, whilst we were still sleeping our hotel telephone rang, waking us up!! I answered the telephone to hear a member of staff telling me that the hotel was fully booked and that we had to leave the hotel at the normal time! This is disgraceful, to not only be woken up but then told we have to leave. After explaining that we had pre-booked and paid for the room and had planned our stay around this, the member of staff then continued to insist that it wasn't possible for us to stay. She then even began trying to negotiate telling me that if we left early then we could have complimentary breakfast. The reason we didn't book breakfast was because we knew we were arriving late and didn't want to get up early - although this had be ruined!

We then tried to forget about this telephone call and enjoy the rest of our stay. We went out and had brunch and a look at the town and then returned to the room as we had always planned. However, when we got back to our room we found that neither of our hotel key cards were working. We had been locked out of our hotel room with our possessions still in there!! After returning to reception we eventually gained access back into our room - after a short while we were so disappointed and angry at the treatment we had received we packed and left! Leaving at 1pm instead of the planned 6pm.

Our valentine's weekend had been completely ruined by the actions of your staff!!

The hotel is very nice and well located by the service we received was disgraceful!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lees31206
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear lees31206,

Thank you for your feedback, I was extremely disappointed to read your feedback and to see that you chose this to be your first Tripadvisor review. Please accept my apologies for the experience you rec ieved, all the more disappointing for us given the level of good feedback we recieve about the team as can be seen on many of the Tripadvisor reviews of the hotel. We have received a separate email from yourself also and will respond directly to you today.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Travelling with a child was no problem for this hotel as they installed a very comfortable sofa bed in our room. The staff were all very friendly, the rooms were comfortable, parking was easy and the breakfast spread was excellent. We took advantage of an online offer so had a room at the back of the hotel but that was fine. Although we paid for breakfast I was very pleased the child's breakfast was free!

Room Tip: Best rooms are at the front of the hotel but expect to pay more for these.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Barry L
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear Barry L,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to see you had a good stay with us and found the team to be very friendly and enjoyed our breakfast. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kinds Regards,