Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
$85
1,804 results
All reviewscar parkhigh streetbar managerexcellent locationlovely hotelsuperior roommain buildingafternoon teareception staffcentral locationexcellent breakfasttwo night stayold buildinglovely roomsconesenjoyable staystayed here for one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 16, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We have just left this hotel and I am very disappointed with our stay!! We booked online back in April for a party of 5 which included my 5 year old son. We had visited Lego Land and were looking forward to a nice comfy stay after a long, tiring and extremely hot day in the park!! When we arrived at the hotel we were very impressed with the location, very close to Windsor Castle. The hotel looked lovely, from the front. We checked in at reception, then we were told that we were staying in separate blocks. My parents were put to stay in the main part of the hotel and we were told we were in another block. To which the receptionist referred to as "The Posh Rooms"!! He was clearly having some kind of private joke. When we got to the block we were in, there was no lift. Not that there's a problem with our legs but for £149 I would expect a lift. Our room was awful. Small and pokey, it had dated, damaged furniture. The paint was chipped. A view of a brick wall. Our shower took ages to get hot and was extremely noisy. As was next doors shower which kindly woke us up at 6am!! Our bed was hard and the pillows hardly had any filling. My son had to sleep on a sofa bed which was UNBELIEVABLY uncomfortable. You could feel every spring. It must have been like sleeping on a cattle grid!! The scatter cushions were grubby, and a loose, glass top on the television unit was dangerous!! Luckily my parents had a lovely room in the front of the hotel. I asked at reception if we could be moved from the slums into the nicer part of the hotel and unfortunately this was not possible! In fact there wasn't anything that they could do for us. They blamed 'Booking.com' . I noticed that anybody with children were put to stay in our block. Appeared that no children were staying in the "nicer" part of the hotel! Breakfast was lovely, staff were polite and car parking was free! But be warned.... This hotel isn't all it appears to be online. All you are paying for here is the location. I have stayed in far nicer travel lodges and if I could have taken my things and left at no cost, a travel lodge is where I would have headed!! It would have been luxury compared to our room! I have learnt a lesson though.... Always ring and confirm you are staying where you think you will be staying. Not some separate building that they are to ashamed to show photos of on
their website!!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Jayne_Shelley

Dear Jayne_Shelley,

Thank you for your recent feedback, please accept my apologies for the frustrations you encountered during your stay with us. Having done some investigation with the team I would like to try and respond to some of the points you raise.

On the 24th April we did try to contact you after the booking was made to inform you that the Privilege room you had booked was not able to accommodate a rollaway bed and would you ok with it being put in to the classic double room you had booked. As the contact number we received was unable to connect we contacted booking.com directly to inform them of this and they confirmed back to use that they sent you an email on 24th April at 13.48. The hotel has different types of room categories with predominantly our upgraded room types; Privilege, Executive and Suites located in the main building. Our classic rooms are located in a extension wing to the hotel which is interconnected to the main building. We do have pictures of all room types clearly displayed on the website and after checking on booking.com I can see the picture of the room under our classic heading is a picture with identical decor and furnishing to the room that you stayed in.

Please accept my apologies if you felt that there is decoration required to the room I have requested my maintenance manager to visit the room and carry out any necessary works required. Please accept my apologies and that of the team that on the night in question we were unable to move you to the main building of the hotel as we were fully booked and had sold all of our upgraded rooms to people paying the rate for these rooms. I will also personally ensure that the rollaway bed and pillows are replaced in this room if they need to be done.

I can assure you that we are a child friendly hotel and indeed have many families that stay with us who have a great experience with many on-line reviews and feedback to testify to this. The majority of the hotel bedrooms are located in the extension which is why you may have witnessed more families in this location.

I was pleased to note that your parents found their room to be great and that you found the breakfast to be lovely with polite staff.

Once again thank you for your feedback it is never out intention to disappoint any of our guests and please be assured I value your feedback and will ensure we carry out any corrective points we need to address.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Every year in July my wife and I spend 3 days in Windsor visiting friends. Normally we stay in old Windsor, a couple of miles outside the town centre. This year we decided to stay more central and after reviewing the trip adviser reports , picked the Mercure Windsor.We arrived early around noon and were shown to parking by a friendly gentleman .The reception is situated on the side of the building and to be honest a little bland but this is soon a distant memory. The lady who greeted us was very professional and friendly and informed us we could check in and that we had been upgraded to a privilege room, a nice surprise! We have been fortunate to stay in some nice hotels but must say none of the staff have been more professional or friendly. The room 304 on the 3rd floor was both spacious and clean with modern furnishings and a nice view of the castle. The bathroom was not the biggest but modern and clean and being in the old part of the hotel comes with a few quirks i.e. sloping doors, cracked ceilings but nothing that should bother you. The room also had a good size flat screen TV and both slippers and bath robes were supplied .We did not pay for breakfast because we decided we would eat in Windsor but the buffet breakfast looked well-presented and plentiful and probably worth the £10 per person if pre booked .We only drank in the hotel bar once due to the abundance of bars and restaurants in Windsor but must say it is a very pleasant area to spend some time over a few drinks with friendly staff .One of my biggest moans is and I repeat it in all my reports is why hotels don’t charge a more reasonable price for drinks. They must lose so much custom to nearby pubs when if they were more reasonable, would fill their half empty lounges (rant over).The hotel`s position is fantastic, a few steps to everything you could want.
To sum up I think this hotel truly deserves the complementary reviews and think you should pick this hotel when planning any stay in Windsor, both the management and staff seem to go that extra mile to make your stay special.

Room Tip: Pick old part of building
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear storton,

Thank you for posting a review following you recent stay with us. Thank you for your positive comments and feedback about the team which I will be delighted to share with them. I know they will appreciate this feedback as trying to ensure all of guests get a fantastic experience is our key aim. I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

With effect from the week commencing the 10th June the hotel is introducing car park charges for residents. The charge applicable to all guests bringing a car with them is £10 per day which is still the best value parking available in Windsor.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Arrived 11th July for a two night stay. The hotel is in a fantastic location and our room was clean, well appointed and comfortable enough. However, our stay was let down by a lack of attention to detail. Firstly, the sliding wardrobe doors had come off their runners. While this was relatively easy to fix myself, I would have thought that this would have been noticed when the room was cleaned after the previous guests had left and reported to maintenance. Secondly, the complimentary tea and coffee had not been refilled after our first night. The staff at the front desk readily provided more items, but again a lack of attention to detail. On the whole, the members of staff were very friendly and helpful, but one of the bar staff did appear to have had a long day and was not as sociable as the others. One major problems was that the draught offerings in the bar were not particularly well kept and despite what other reviewers have said, the prices were over the top. By booking through a third party, the price we paid for our stay was cheaper than it would have been had we booked direct. That said, I have stayed in far better hotels in major tourist areas in the country for far less, but I guess Windsor is a very expensive town.

Dear redswan,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with ourselves. Thank you for your comments and please be assured I will take these on board, discuss them with the team and put in place the necessary corrective training and processes. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at this Hotel, it is just across the road from Windsor Castle so you literally park the car and it doesn't have to move. Our room was a twin room but very nice, the receptionist was very friendly and helpful as were all the Staff especially the Lady who organised breakfast in a morning. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful, you helped your self to whatever you wanted. The only little quibble that we had was that we were charged £20.00 for parking which considering London I suppose is a good price but we were not informed of this charge when booking. Also my Partner is disabled and i should have mentioned this when booking as where we were (across the road from reception) there were no lifts, so realy not their fault.

Dear helensmith135,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the hotel. Thank you for your comments and feedback which we do review and will take the necessary action on. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.